What is Good Writing?
Correct spelling and grammar, sentence variety, conciseness, effective paragraphing, do these words sounds familiar? Well those are a few of many other rules that we are taught since we were in school about how to write well. There is nothing wrong about these rules though, however, good writing is more than having correct spelling, grammar, sentence variety, etc.
Writing has been part of our lives for centuries and centuries, when people used to write with images because words were unknown. After years of writing with images the first alphabet was created which was the Latin alphabet; since then, writing has been changing at an enormous speed. Nowadays, there are many alphabets, and different types of writing, such as: Academic writing, journals, blogs, creative writing and so on. Nonetheless, people nowadays have doubts about what makes good writing or what makes a good writer?
For this paper, I conducted research, in which I interviewed, surveyed, and gathered information from the web, to know and maybe to eliminate doubts and change perspective from people about what is good writing?
Referring to my original claim, we are taught to learn and to follow many writing rules since we were children. But are these rules what makes a piece of writing to be good? Sure they do! But are there other things to consider? Here is where my research comes.
The first person who I interviewed was my father, he mentioned that Dr. David Sapir, who is a linguist, and professor of anthropology at the University of Virginia, once told him that “Languages change, and so do the writing”. This phrase allows me to think that Dr. Sapir was right, that if languages change and writing changes, then why do we stick to the old-sc...
... middle of paper ...
...hat since writing existed people have created new and improved ways to write, and that writing is still changing. Furthermore, most people stick too much on the writing rules that prevent them to express themselves in a better way. In today`s world, there are people with a great potential in writing, that they can even do historical, scientifically, creatively pieces, but their conception about what is good writing do not help.
What makes good writing is a broad topic to study many people would always have different opinions about what good writing is. However, in my humble opinion, I strongly agree that to become a good writer and to write awesome papers, is not only following the rules but also to be creative, original, to think different as a writer. Let’s break some rules, and write beyond the traditional way and you will see that a new writing era will come.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- What is Good Writing. Correct spelling and grammar, sentence variety, conciseness, effective paragraphing, do these words sounds familiar. Well those are a few of many other rules that we are taught since we were in school about how to write well. There is nothing wrong about these rules though, however, good writing is more than having correct spelling, grammar, sentence variety, etc. Writing has been part of our lives for centuries and centuries, when people used to write with images because words were unknown.... [tags: Writing, Writer, Alphabet, Paper]
1159 words (3.3 pages)
- There are many different definitions good writing can be defined as. However, good writing can be defined as having a purpose, being organized, as well as having an individual style. For any writing, a purpose is needed to reach the audience. The purpose is to deliver a strong message to an audience so they will comprehend the material. Organizational skills are necessary to thrive in writing. The writing must be organized in a way so everyone can comprehend what is being stated. Organizational skills can go hand in hand with using proper grammar which also makes the message clear.... [tags: Writing, Writer, Creative writing, Style]
1006 words (2.9 pages)
- Thomas Carlyle once said, “A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder. At the beginning of this class, I had only one question in mind. What makes a good writer great. What set of qualities do they have that makes them such remarkable writers. And I wanted to evaluate those qualities that makes them so unique. In order for me to accomplish that, I need to take a class where student read and write extensively. A class that makes a student think outside the box. Intro to creative writing was a perfect class for me.... [tags: Writing, Creative writing, Writer, Literature]
1069 words (3.1 pages)
- It was during my 9th grade year that, I’ve learn sometimes in life you won’t succeed. It was toward the end of fall semester, that our teacher Mrs. Ellis assign us a topic about how something affects our life. I couldn’t figure out, how to write a personal topic like that, so I went online and search for guidance, or ideas about the topic Mrs. Ellis assign for the class. It wasn’t until I stumble upon an essay written by a guy named Andrew. He wrote a paper over the outcome of life and how life can change unexpectedly, now before I read the paper I thought that a good life was easy to achieve as long as that person works hard.... [tags: High school, Writing, Educational years]
892 words (2.5 pages)
- During my 9th grade year, I’ve learn that sometimes in life you won’t succeed, but you should never give up on your dreams. Towards the end of fall semester, our teacher Mrs. Ellis assigns us a topic about how something affects our life. I couldn’t figure out, how to write a personal topic like that, so I went online and search for guidance, or ideas about the topic Mrs. Ellis assign for the class. There was an essay written by a guy named Andrew, that I stumbled upon. He wrote a paper over the outcome of life and how life can change unexpectedly, now before I read the paper I imagined that a good life was easy to achieve as long as that person works hard.... [tags: High school, Writing, Educational years]
906 words (2.6 pages)
- Writing is one of the best way to express an argument or give information to a audience. From essays like this to movie scripts, there are so many different types of writing that it would be very difficult to define “Good Writing” with one single set of rules. The best example of different types of good writing is by looking at Discourse communities, all of which use different variations of writing inside their community. Discourse communities are different groups of people who associate with the same ideas and practices.... [tags: Writing, Writing process, Writing style]
887 words (2.5 pages)
- Here, I will reveal the methods and tactics to writing an effective analytical essay or evaluative article. Even if you already know how to write a well-structured essay, you may wish to refresh your knowledge and reaffirm what you already know. There are three key parts to an essay: the introduction, body and conclusion. The Introduction Deal with the introduction first of all. The introduction has to have these elements: the question, the answer, the preview of the essay and some scope or parameters.... [tags: Writing an Essay]
542 words (1.5 pages)
- Journal 1: 8/29 I define a writer as someone who is capable of writing real literature and make it understable for the readers. I would not consider myself a writer. I don 't really do any writing outside of school papers. I only write when it 's necessary because I don 't find much enjoyment in it and i 'm insecure about my writing skills. Strengths I have that are capable of helping my writing capability is my creativity. A weakness of mine is struggling with grammar, I’ve struggled ever since grade school.... [tags: Writing, Writing style, Writing process]
818 words (2.3 pages)
- Good Writing What is good writing and who writes well. In my college essay writing class we have looked at three famous writers from different ages who are considered to be good writers—Seneca the Younger (3-65 A.D.), Plutarch (46-120 A.D.), and Michael de Montaigne (1533-1592 A.D.). Although they are from different times and places, these writers mastered the art of good writing. Albeit they wrote about different things, there are three aspects of their writings that they all have in common--they write about a topic that will catch the interest of the reader, they write clearly, and they are concise.... [tags: essays papers]
502 words (1.4 pages)
- Writing Style I hear inner Strunk and White voices of “don’t overwrite”, “write in a way that comes naturally,” and so forth, going through my head. I have visions of endless Williams examples and illustrations on clarity. I see weeks of blog writings flashing through my memory. From all of this, I now own and believe in a firm and personal definition of what style is and what good writing entails. William Strunk and E.B. White’s book The Elements of Style, along with Joseph M. Williams’s book Style Toward Clarity and Grace helped lead me to this point, which is: what is the point.... [tags: Writing Style Styles Essays]
1332 words (3.8 pages)