When Joe Darby first saw the images on those photos of Iraqi prisoners being tortured and abused by not just his fellow soldiers but by people he had known since high school he was torn between two choices. Those choices for Joe were, should he do or say nothing to protect his friends or should he do what was ethically correct. He chose the latter; “I knew that some people wouldn't agree with what I did... They view it as - I put American soldiers in prison over Iraqis (Joe Darby, 2004)” The photos showed Iraqi prisoners naked and posed in sexually suggestive ways. Some of the Iraqis in the photos were dead. Joe knew what was happening in these photos were wrong but because of the fear of repercussions it took him three weeks to turn them over and only after he was promised anonymity. He felt that was the end of it and he could go on doing his job. When the accused soldiers were removed he st...
... middle of paper ...
... moral and ethics to bring it to his superiors they were dealt with and punished appropriately. That should have been the end of the story, however when Donald Rumsfeld spoke the name Joe Darby in his statement he erased all the hard work many public sector administrators have done for decades to put ethics into government. It is totally astonishing that a man of his experience and knowledge would betray a whistle-blower the way he did. This writer hopes that this will be a lesson for anyone in the public life as to what not to do and may we learn from Joe Darby that loyalty above all but honor is the best way to make ethical decisions.
Bryan, D., (2007). “Abu Ghraib Whistle-blower’s Ordeal” Web. Retrieved 06 March 2012
The American Society for Public Administration (1999). “Article I, Section 4 of ASPA's
Bylaws”. Web. 23 February 2012
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Studies have shown that people who have been physically or mentally abused as a child are more likely to have an abusive personality as an adult. The cognitive mind is influenced the most as a child for a mind that has not matured yet is susceptible to take in anything that is thrown at it. William Faulkner shows that the events of one’s youth have many effects on behavior as an adult, through the protagonist, Joe Christmas, in his novel Light in August. Joe Christmas did not have the perfect childhood.... [tags: Faulkner Joe Christmas]
1040 words (3 pages)
- As the classic household back in the Western days, the women were responsible to cook and clean. It was frowned upon for a lady to be out doing men’s work, and a lady to be out on the hunt for a killer was unspoken of. That is why Henry Hathaway’s 1969 western film, True Grit, stands out so much. From a traditional western film, a woman is typically found inside of the house. Their duties are cooking, cleaning, and watching the children. In the presence of, one must be utmost polite and courteous.... [tags: Gender role, Woman, Gender, Transgender]
2001 words (5.7 pages)
- Joe Jackson and the Black Sox Scandal For anyone who knows anything about baseball, the 1919 World Series brings to mind many things. "The Black Sox Scandal of 1919 started out as a few gamblers trying to get rich, and turned into one of the biggest, and easily the darkest, event in baseball history" (Everstine 4). This great sports scandal involved many, but the most memorable and most known for it was Joe Jackson. The aftermath of the great World Series Scandal left many people questioning the character of Joe Jackson and whether or not he should have relations thereafter with baseball.... [tags: Shoeless Joe Jackson Baseball Essays]
1443 words (4.1 pages)
- Sime Darby Sectors and Industries Sime Darby is a conglomerate company whereby it involves in more than one sector which is operating locally and internationally. Sime Darby in the website had classified its sectors into two, which are core businesses and other businesses. The core businesses that are running are plantation, industrial, motors, property and energy & utilities. Meanwhile the minor industries of Sime Darby are healthcare, consumer products and insurance broking and agency. Since the pioneering stage of Sime Darby, the company had started off with plantations of rubber mainly in Malaysia.... [tags: core business, different industries]
802 words (2.3 pages)
- COMPANY’S BACKGROUND Sime Darby Berhad was created in 2007 through merger of three big companies in Malaysia which consist of Sime, Darby Co. Limited, Guthrie and Golden Hope. Originally, all three of the companies were involved in Malaysian commercial plantations. Sime, Darby Co limited was first involved in the rubber industry. The company then expanded by cultivating palm oil and cocoa and attained great success. Guthrie Company was the first British trading company in South East Asia. They introduced rubber and palm oil in Malaysia.... [tags: background, company analysis]
694 words (2 pages)
- Priyanka and I spent the next four days taking care of Darby. Some morons at the Homecoming dance captured the rejection on camera and posted it on social networks. Many people took Cavan 's side, agreeing with his "popular, blonde, and bimbo-type beauties" statement. It made my blood boil further when Cavan sent a thanks out to those people. He judged a book by its cover and got support for it. "I wish he 'd see something past the looks," Priyanka said during our gym class. "Maybe he just needs to meet a beautiful girl with a beautiful personality," Darby muttered.... [tags: Debut albums, 2005 singles, 2000 singles]
2104 words (6 pages)
- I. Problem Description The Darby Company is re-evaluating its current production and distribution system in order to determine whether it is cost-effective or if a different approach should be considered. The company produces meters that measure the consumption of electrical power. Currently, they produce these meters are two locations – El Paso, Texas and San Bernardino, California. The San Bernardino plant is newer, and therefore the technology is more effective, meaning that their cost per unit is $10.00, while the El Paso plant produces at $10.50.... [tags: Business Analysis Strategy Management]
1681 words (4.8 pages)
- Joe DiMaggio DiMaggio steps up to the plate, he hits the bat off his cleats, he spits out his chewing tobacco, his dead skin shredding off from the wooden, worn out bat. The adrenalin is pumping the, and crowd is roaring, the stadium seems to be shaking from the fans excitement. The daylight staring down on Joe, as if it was a spotlight on a stage. The pitcher gets the signal, and the pitch. The pitch is zooming in there like a lightning bolt. WHAM!!. A rocket straight to left centerfield, this one could be gone, IT IS.... [tags: Biography Baseball Player]
894 words (2.6 pages)
- Joe DiMaggio Joe DiMaggio was one of the best baseball players of all time. He set many records, including the longest wining streak in Major League Baseball history, it lasted 56 games. He came to America as the son of poor Italian immigrants, but grew up to be an American Icon. Joseph Paul DiMaggio was born on November 25, 1914. His parents were Giuseppe Paolo DiMaggio and Rosalie DiMaggio. He had three brothers and three sisters. His brothers were Michael DiMaggio, Tom DiMaggio, and Vince DiMaggio.... [tags: baseball players]
1160 words (3.3 pages)
- 1. KINSELLA, W. P. Shoeless Joe. Ballantine books: New York: 1982 2. The story starts when Ray Kinsella, the main character, is talking about his hero Shoeless Joe Jackson who once played left field in baseball. When Ray went to the ball park he was hearing, in his head, the voice of the announcer that was saying “ If you build it, he will come.” Ray started building his dream ball park in his cornfield. He remembered the last time Joe played major league baseball in 1920 and then he was suspended for life, along with seven of his compatriots, for his part in throwing the 1919 World Series.... [tags: essays research papers]
589 words (1.7 pages)