University, to me, is a totally different concept from high school, where teachers, expert in their specific field, would introduce you to the beauty of it. Yet, after my two-and-half-year college life, I gradually come to realize that although professors at college are good at teaching, the most important thing I have learned is to learn by oneself.
You may probably say that it sounds a little self-contradictory. In fact, it is. But, as for me, it is also the truth.
Here is the reason why I believe so.
Back in China, there is a world difference between college life and high school life, especially in terms of the way to studying. During senior high school years, despite the fact that our timetable was full and fixed, the assignments and tests were due one after another, and even sometimes we were overloaded with the information and knowledge, which, consequently, could turn into negative burden, the process of learning in high school was still pleasant and enjoyable.
For one thing, in China, all secondary schools learning culminates in College Entrance Examination, which means that each student would strive with all night for a key university, because, to some extent, it is a guarantee of a promising future. That is to say, Chinese high school students, bearing the only goal in mind to pursue, try to score high as possible as they can. Sometimes, you know, a clear and definite target makes people more focused and motivated.
Besides, teachers in secondary school, particularly the teacher in charge of a class, tend to be more attentive to students. When it’s their time to give a lecture, they plan every section of the class with much thought and efforts, not only g...
... middle of paper ...
...se is that, one single step grieved me. I could have told my parents, or my friends, how terrible my situation was, but they were too far away to help. It would only make them worry. Thus, I chose to keep it from them, and handle it by myself. I asked my host family for help, trying to figure out what I was supposed to do. Then I made an appointment on the school health center web, went to a doctor and took regular and adequate rest according to doctor’s orders from then on.
Now, I defeat the illness devils and feel much better, which can also be interpreted as my first victory of independence abroad.
True, it would be better if accompanied by someone or a couple of friends to go through thick and thin, but one should always have the ability and strength of mind to endure the most miserable moments alone.
That is the most valuable thing I have learned from college.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In other courses, we have learned about what a bond is. One of the most important things I learned in this class is what affects the supply and demand of bonds, which ultimately decides the price of a bond. Three main items determine the supply of bonds: the expected profitability of investment opportunities, the expected inflation and the government budget. The expected profitability of investment opportunities is important because companies issue bonds to raise money. If a company does not feel that they can make profitable investments with the money they would obtain from issuing a bond they are not going to want to incur the expense (the interest on the bond) and therefore are not going... [tags: Class Reflection]
1117 words (3.2 pages)
- We learned a lot of things in this course, but I think the most important lesson I learned is that it’s not easy to be an entrepreneur. I was surprised to hear in the first class that 80% of startups fail, but after reading The Art of Start and E-myth Revisited I understood why this happens more often than one might expects. Some people start their own businesses for the wrong reason and some start with wrong mindset. I’ve always thought that if someone has a brilliant business idea and hardworking they will succeed and grow their business.... [tags: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneur, Business]
1110 words (3.2 pages)
- Right next to food, family is the most important thing in Italian culture. My mother was born and raised in Naples, Italy and lived with her mother and three siblings after her father passed away when she was only six years old. My mother and my grandmother had a very close bond, the same bond my mother and I share now. My grandmother was a very hands on type of mom my mother tells me. Like most mothers, her children were her pride and joy. My mother’s most vivid memories of her childhood involve my grandmother teaching her how to make tiramisu and lasagna.... [tags: Family, Mother, Gender role, Father]
1217 words (3.5 pages)
- The course that I took this term on money and banking was of great value to me. It taught me some very important things. One of the most important things that I learned in this course was that the Federal Reserve is the best resource for information concerning the economy. Another important thing that I learned was that interest rates mean different things to different people. A third very important thing that I learned was how a financial crisis can start in the United States. There is an abundance of information about our economy on the television newscasts, in the newspapers, and on the Internet.... [tags: Class Reflection]
1846 words (5.3 pages)
- I learned a lot from interviewing the Coach Maldonado. The main thing I got out of this interview was something I was taught growing up. The outcome depends on how much work you put into doing a task. It’s not something I really learned from Coach Maldonado but it reenforces the idea. I like this idea because if you 're not going work hard for something then why should you expect great results as an outcome. The harder you work for something the more rewarding it becomes at the end. Now a days if you want to become great, it takes a lot of work and time.... [tags: Want, Psychology, Jonathan Coachman, Thing]
1458 words (4.2 pages)
- 4. WHAT IS THE MOST VALUABLE THING YOU LEARNED FROM THIS BOOK. The most valuable thing that I have learned from this book is that Child Life Programs are essential in children’s hospitals to help ease the impending aspects of a total institution on child-patients. The last chapter of the text, entitled “Some Proposed Changes,” recognizes that child life specialists (CLS) are used to help ease the child-patient’s unhappiness in an institution that is not child friendly, educate patients about their time in the hospital, and reassure any misconceptions the child-patient has (Beuf, 1989).... [tags: Patient, Health care provider]
964 words (2.8 pages)
- What was the most import thing in the reading. “Most: Principles are not in and of themselves a model or method of instruction, but rather relationships that may underlie any model or method. These principles can be implemented in a variety of ways by different models and methods of instruction. However, the effectiveness, efficiency, and engagement of a particular model or method of instruction is a function of the degree to which these principles are implemented.” There are multiple ways to provide instructions to student, and there are multiple methods for students to show what they have been taught or learned.... [tags: Learning, Educational psychology, Psychology]
711 words (2 pages)
- Every Day We Learn Something New 1.Virtue ethics is the most important concept I learned in class. I learned that the commitment to being a good and virtuous person is the key to an ethical life. Having this said, in order to have an ethical life I need to dedicate myself to being an excellent person. My virtues will be the face of whom I am. Many of these virtues will come from my early childhood and from home. If one day I will come a manager, I will embrace to have a good character by doing the right things based on my ethical principles rather because following the rules.... [tags: Ethics, Virtue, Aristotle, Education]
1405 words (4 pages)
- Please read at least 3 of the following articles. What are the three most important pieces of information you learned. I learned that in some countries like Denmark, the vast majority of income gains went to the bottom 90 percent -socialists, while nearly half of U.S. income gains went to the richest one percent because freedom. America’s top 1 percent of earners accounted for 47 percent of all pre-tax income growth over that time period. I was actually quite surprised by this information, I had no idea.... [tags: Poverty, Economic inequality]
1297 words (3.7 pages)
- The Three Most Important Things I’ve learned in this Course Bank Reserves Bank Reserves are banks that hold currency and deposits in accounts with their central bank or the Federal Reserve. These reserves are essentially held in bank vaults also called cash vaults. All banks hold required reserves due to the reserve requirements set by the Federal Reserve. Banks hold additional reserves, called excess reserves which banks use to meet its obligations when funds are withdrawn, either by a depositor or when a check is written on an account.... [tags: Course Reflection]
1166 words (3.3 pages)