Over the past decades, people used the traditional forms of communication to pass message to one another. They could send smoke signals, drum beats as well as verbal communication. As technology advanced, radio and television were discovered. Another boom in the technology development as far as communication is concerned is when a communication satellite was initiated in the 1960s. Nowadays radio, newspaper, TV and the internet are the main media used with internet being the most popular due to the use of social media.
What is the exact meaning of the term internet? Internet has been defined differently by different people. The common definition is that, it is a worldwide group of computer networks connected together through media in which they enable users to share information and other resources. To allow the sharing, they use protocols like TCP/IP which are set rules that govern how computers communicate with one another independent the location and platforms. Internet is not owned by anybody and since it allows people in different locations to share information, it is sometimes referred to as the World Wide Web (WWW)
Many social media sites are gaining popularity nowadays with the most commonly known being face book, twitter and Skype. Others include LinkedIn, frim and craigslist, whatsApp among others. As a result, these sites now affect almost all the aspects of our lives, starting from the way we do our shopping over the internet, how we work as well as how we manage our relationships. It is not amazing, that even the private business sector has long known that it’s a prospective way for persuading their consumers. Campaigners too have recognized its power and are using it as a back-up tool for their supporters.
... middle of paper ...
...cial networking platforms and by doing that, the Black American won the Presidential seat during the general elections of US. Social media also assists other people to sustain weaker ties like the earlier colleagues they occasionally see in persons.
Social media can be used to impact change in a range of dissimilar ways, from changing consumer behavior to increasing someone’s pledge to voting. Organizations which use the Internet to mobilize people on the causes of social justice, have incorporated social media into their campaign policies, and an increasing number of civil society organizations are nowadays using social media to strengthen their message. For example, Hope Not Hate9 - an anti-racism group – has garnered over 50,000 Facebook fans and has used its page to do everything from sharing music videos to offering live reports from far right demonstrations.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- These changes in the brain are related to its neuroplasticity. According to Nicolas Carr in The Shallows neuroplasticity is how our brains processes and reacts to information as it has been trained to do (Carr, 2010, p. 120). The Internet is causing major changes in the plasticity of the brain. Many studies have found that, “plasticity not only of adult brain function, but brain composition as well is proven to show that consistent use of the brain in particular ways strengthens the neurological pathways and modes of thought conducive to those activities” (Murray, 2013, p.... [tags: neuroplasticity, memory, brains]
1172 words (3.3 pages)
- It’s another day at school and as students walk through the hall they walk by or bump into other people and they notice that most all of them are on their phones texting, have earbuds in, or scrolling through their recent news feed on Facebook. Then as a student goes to class they sit during lectures only to be interrupted by a vibrating cell phone in their pocket that tells them that a best friend wants to meet up for lunch next period. Only recently, many people are more connected to technology and the internet.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Internet]
1094 words (3.1 pages)
- Bauhaus is a German term meaning the house of construction and commonly understood by many as the school of building and operates from the year 1919 to the end of 1933 . The institution was founded by Walter Gropius and was located in Weimar. This paper shall critically analyze whether Bauhaus succeeded in merging art with mass production and technology what challenges they went through and if at all their ideals were limited to design for an elite. However, this school was closed by the Nazi government, because of its communist ideals, as opposed to the ideals of Nazism.... [tags: Bauhaus, Walter Gropius, Germany, Marcel Breuer]
2016 words (5.8 pages)
- The Meaning of the Term Customer Service Customer service means providing customers with what they want. Without good customer service, customers will not return. To provide excellent customer service you should do the following * Put yourself into the place of the customer (think how you would like to be treated) * Customers needs should be put first * Come up with ideas of how you can improve Customer Service This may involve direct contact, such as when you are dealing with a customer face to face, or indirect contact for example dealing with a letter of complaint.... [tags: Papers]
983 words (2.8 pages)
- The Meaning of the Term Goods People now days have become more demanding and their needs have multiplied and become more complicated . This is one of the reasons why new products, new goods are being introduced into the market every single day, in order to satisfy the costumer’s wants or needs . What can be defined as a good and what as a need or a want. A want, a need is the unpleasant feeling of insufficiency that a person has and is accompanied by the effort to neutralize it.... [tags: Papers]
927 words (2.6 pages)
- The Meaning of the Term Thatcherism Introduction I will be attempting to evaluate and analyse the term of Thatcherism'. I will raise issues and introduce her consensus and strategies as a PM. To what extent or degree has the Thatcher government dominated British politics. Its is the first ism in British politics. Thatcherism has an ism at the end of her name, there is only ism in Thatcher e.g. Thatcherism and no ism in Blair. New leader Between 1964 1974 conservatives party was not success in elections, they lost four election out of five and three of them lose came under the leadership of Edward Heath.... [tags: British Politics Thatcher]
1851 words (5.3 pages)
- The Meaning of the Term Totalitarianism Totalitarianism was a one-party political system that was based on dictatorship. It first started in Europe in the 1920s and 30s. It was an absolutism that emphasized the importance of the state at the expense of individual liberties. It displays the following features: One-party dictatorship and one-man rule were emphasized in a totalitarian state. Only one party ruled in a totalitarian state, for example, the Fascist Part in Italy, the Nazi Party in Germany and the Communist Party in the Soviet Union.... [tags: Papers]
985 words (2.8 pages)
- Since the invention and popularization of the internet, computer mediated communication has become an increasingly common mode of socialization. Many people have voiced the concern that the move away from physical communication might have negative repercussions for society; however, socialization on the internet has a number of advantages over traditional socialization. The internet provides a larger pool of potential social contacts compared to physically seeking people, creates means for people to easily communicate when spatially or temporally disconnected and allows a comfortable atmosphere for communication.... [tags: Internet]
700 words (2 pages)
- Meaning of the Term Miracle The term miracle means according to the Chambers Oxford Dictionary, ‘a supernatural event: hyperbolically, a marvel, a wonder: a miracle play.’ It is something extraordinary and is thought to be when God does something to break all the normal rules and laws of nature. Miracles generally do not seem to happen much nowadays as it is more associated with Jesus’ time than ours. Some people e.g. Newspaper journalists and magazine editors use the term ‘miracle’ in the wrong sense.... [tags: Papers]
573 words (1.6 pages)
- Internet2 Internet2 was formed in 1006 with an original 34 institutions participating. With Internet2, the Clinton Administration was trying to advance technologies for many people. Their first step was to connect 100 institutions at 100 times the speed of the current internet. The applications generated by this research have already had a positive affect on fields such as health care, national security, distance learning, energy research, environmental monitoring, and manufacturing. Internet2 is an extremely interesting subject.... [tags: Internet Computers Technology Essays]
1512 words (4.3 pages)