Living in a small town that I would say is about 95% white has most definitely made an influence on my life and the way I live. I grew up in a White privileged town. I had no idea that this was even a thing. According to Diller “to most Whites all of this White privilege is invisible” (2011 p. 78) I couldn’t agree with him more. White privilege has helped to shape my current individual identities by opening my eyes and allowing me to see things from a different perspective. Understanding that my background is full of White privilege and it is a part of my daily experiences. I also think because of this class I have become more aware of White privilege existences and the role that it plays in my life.
Looking back at my school years attending North Union was one of the White privileges I had. At this school we celebrated Christmas, Thanksgiving, had a dress code and most in the school were Christian. At the time, I did not know that these were perfect examples of cultural racism and White privilege (Diller, 2011). I remember from school there were twin girls who were Jewish (one of the only fa...
... middle of paper ...
...m not able to do what I want to do. I walk into these stores with my family wanting and willing to learn or interact with people of different ethnicity. I feel I either had to make myself happy or my parents. I usually make my parents happy however, when I’m not with them I do interact with different people.
Going off that I also think there was and still is rankism in my family. This is the discrimination of others due to differences in rank. I know my dad has used his rankism multiple times to secure his situation when he feels he may be at a disadvantage (Diller, 2011). He uses it the most with my mom when one of us kids want to do something and she didn’t have a problem with it, dad almost always did. This has affected my current individual identities by, thinking that it’s okay for the man in the house to make all the final decisions about almost everything.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Friendship impacts everyone’s life. Whether the impact is positive or negative, the impact itself is undeniably there. Friendships and their impacts play a huge role in development such as the case of the three famous doctors, Dr. Sampson, Dr. George Jenkins, and Dr. Rameck Hunt who all had their lives altered by friendship. The doctors’ first experience of friendship was negative, because of the stereotypical peer pressure that children are thought to be faced with. Sam tells what the pressure was like, “Even as early as elementary school, the pressure was on me to do what the other neighborhood boys were doing.... [tags: advantage, academic, influence]
549 words (1.6 pages)
- Immigration has had a huge impact towards the economy. It Has a positive side just like a negative side. On July 4, 2012, President Obama said, "The lesson of these 236 years is clear -immigration makes America stronger. Immigration makes us more prosperous. And immigration positions America to lead in the 21st century" (Immigration). It is clear that the broken immigration system would boost up the economy and workers by increasing the work productivity, creating jobs, and improving wages for both U.S.- born and immigrants.... [tags: Illegal immigration]
1809 words (5.2 pages)
- Sociology of Technology Alexis Reed Sociology 111 Professor Ellinghouse 03-29-2016 Research Term Paper Abstract Technology has become a huge part of today’s society. All things of technology has shown that there’s a huge impact on the way we are learning to communicate with one another. Many individuals are socially disconnected, and there’s an increase in social isolation. Instead of communicating face to face, we are communicating through social media and our cellphones. In today’s society, we need to make a change.... [tags: Sociology, Communication, Personal life, Society]
1004 words (2.9 pages)
- There are a lot of different cultures in the world we live in today. Finding the place you belong and discovering your own culture can be a challenge. This is especially true when you look at culture as an individual versus culture in your family, or even within your community. I’ve always been very family oriented, so that plays a big part in who I am and how my family’s dynamic works. I believe that my family has had a huge impact on the development of my culture, and I hope that I have had the same impact on theirs.... [tags: Religion, Faith, Marriage, Culture]
863 words (2.5 pages)
- was unarmed at the time of the shooting. Police shot and killed Jamar in order to protect themselves and others. There was a lot of talk about what really happened and why Jamar was shot. Jamar Clark’s death has had a huge impact on Minneapolis, every time in Minnesota and even turned into a national headline on media sites. Ever since Jamar Clark’s death there has been protests around Minnesota, most of which are organized the Black Lives Matters protester. There have been protests in and outside the Mall of America as well as the Minneapolis International Airport.... [tags: African American, Race, Black people]
1333 words (3.8 pages)
- Earning extra money can make a huge impact on your finances. You can get debt paid off faster or build up your emergency fund. Or even use the extra cash to do something fun, that you wouldn 't ' have been able to do. Luckily, there are a million ways to make money. When you open your mind to figuring out how to make extra money it 's truly endless. Here are 45 ways to make extra money. I 've categorized them best I could, although some fit in more than one category. So check out the list and see if anything sparks a new side hustle for you.... [tags: Want, Need, The Extra, People]
1719 words (4.9 pages)
- Stories are timeless representations of our experiences. We tell stories to make people laugh, to encourage friends, and even to spread celebrity gossip. As humans, we pay attention to stories because our brains are wired to do so. It helps us relate to the storyteller and remember the most important details. Businesses should leverage the power of storytelling. Let consumers offer their unique shopping experiences. This will uplift your brand awareness. And customers stories are more than just case studies.... [tags: Customer service, Sales, User-generated content]
1177 words (3.4 pages)
- There are more cell phones than residents in Britain (computerweekly.com, 2007). The first cell phone was invented by Dr. Martin Cooper and John F Mitchell in 1973 (Wikipedia.com, 2014). Cell phone use has escalated over the years. Not only does cell phone usage affect the character traits of a person and their ability to hold regular, face to face conversations, it also affects a person’s ability to have healthy, stable relationships. Cell phones have changed from an item of luxury to an everyday necessity for some people.... [tags: Cell Phone vs Social Life]
1604 words (4.6 pages)
- In the present day, the development of internet causes considerable changes in social relations and people lifestyle. Internet users spend most of their life online. One of the recent trends is the development of social networks, which encourage the creation of realistic communities. In such a situation, the question concerning the impact of Internet on human being, especially on human brain and behavior arises. In this concern, views on the impact of Internet vary consistently. On the one hand, Internet is recognized as a valuable intermediate, which helps users to share and broadcast information easily.... [tags: technology, online information]
1197 words (3.4 pages)
- You Are What You Eat, and Where You Live The environment in which a people live makes an important impact on lives they live. The distribution and abundance, or scarcity of natural resources will affect the size of a group and therefore affect many other aspects of the group’s way of life. These things include the distribution of power, or lack there of, and an importance in spiritual life. There are an almost infinite number of things that the environment has control of shaping, another is where or not a group of people will take on an artistic nature.... [tags: essays research papers]
1270 words (3.6 pages)