Writing 150 has been a truly enjoyable course for me. While I have always loved language and literature, this class gave me a fresh, new perspective on what it means to be a writer. From the very first class, I was redefining what writing means to me and how I could use it in my life, even if my career path isn’t centered around writing. As the semester comes to a close, I want to share with you which paper was my favorite from this course, how my identity as a writer has changed, and how I will approach future writing tasks with a new and improved writing process.
From our very first narrative, “My Writing Story” to the most recent opinion editorial assignment, I can honestly say I enjoyed writing each paper. But, my favorite writing assignment was the persuasive research paper. Being allowed to choose our own topic enabled me to research and write about an issue I am truly passionate about. In addition, I was enabled to widen my horizons on a topic that I originally only saw from one side. My persuasive research paper was about girls education in rural Pakistan; the role that men in a community play in enacting change, and the empowerment of a community when it’s girls are empowered through education. It was so eye opening to me to learn the cultural reasons behind the gender gap in education, and to see girls’ education through the parents’ perspective. I had originally thought so poorly of the parents who weren’t sending their girls to school, but through researching both sides I came to learn why parents cannot send their girls to school. I saw the issue from their perspective and realized that any solutions would have to come from cultural change. I am minoring in international development, so education in countries, lik...
... middle of paper ...
...o the norm on mundane acts like always writing the introduction first. Reflecting on my papers as part of the writing process, was a whole new idea to me, but one that I will use on all future papers. Writing 150 taught me the importance of reflecting and analyzing your work, determine what went well and what could go better on future papers.
As I reflect on the semester in Writing 150, I’m grateful for the opportunity I had to learn and grow as a writer. Although I don’t plan to build a career centered around writing, I know that I’ll use the skills I acquired in this course throughout my time at BYU and in whatever career I choose. I hope that through sharing my favorite writing assignment, how I realized my identity as a writer, and how I’ll approach future assignments with an improved writing process you were able to see just how useful Writing 150 was for me.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- How to become a writer First, image you can write anything, any you want to express. No one would judge and correct your work and people just say it is a good work because it is real, not fake. It seems like an infant drew something on a paper. Even the infant does not know what he wants to drew and people cannot understand it, but people can feel the infant is happy at that time, and the infant’s work is successful. Writing for you, is homework and assignment when you are enrolled at school. You want to write a great paper and your teacher gives you her best way to improve you writing skills.... [tags: Writing, Want, Need, Writer]
1126 words (3.2 pages)
- As the semester continued and got closer to the end, I feel that I have grown as a writer. I branched out to different styles and types of essays as well as incorporating outside sources into my work. When I first started this course, I was scared and didn’t really know what to expect. I thought I was ok at writing and I wasn’t really worried about the class. When I received my first essay back with the feedback and the grade, I realized that I am a pretty good writer. I will have to admit that I did want to be a journalist, but I didn’t think I was good enough.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Paper, Writer]
706 words (2 pages)
- How to Be a Better Writer Writing is a skill. Some people have natural talent for it, while others have to work incredibly hard every single time they write to get any kind of decent work written. Many excellent writers write from life experiences as portrayed in many of the stories that will be mentioned later. Writing is a difficult skill which can take years to improve. All the writing tips in the world will not help someone improve their writing. Becoming an excellent writer requires hard work and dedication.... [tags: Writing, Writer, Essay, Creative writing]
967 words (2.8 pages)
- Writing Rituals Basically, writing ritual is a behavior of the writer which are helping succeed in writing. One’s writing ritual consists of where the writer sits, when the writer chooses to write, what materials the writers need, and so on when they should be in. These create one’s particular rituals. Some rituals are eccentric like writing in the bathroom or cannot write without wearing specific clothes. However, others are really scientific such as, writing in the morning with a cup of coffee or writing in a silent place.... [tags: Writing, Writer, Creative writing, Psychology]
780 words (2.2 pages)
- That’s a question that has plagued me more, now than ever. Sadly, there is no spectrum to determine such a thing, only I would be privy to such information, and at this point, I’m unsure. For my last semester in college I took a Creative Writing class, and it was one of the greatest academic choices of my life, but it made me question a lot as well. From writing poetry to this last non-fiction piece I wondered if I’m was cut out for the life style of a writer. I began writing when I was young, around the time when my writing was still forming, the letters were slanting off the line, and my syntax worse than it is now.... [tags: Writing, Creative writing, Writer, Literature]
846 words (2.4 pages)
- The measures of a good writer may appear to be an easy thing to quantify. However, arguing that once the basic grammar and punctuation of any writing is mastered it will all boil down to the opinion of the individual reading. Great writing should effectively communicate the information that the writer intended to convey to his particular audience. With that being said, being of sound mind and body, I, Brandy Willis, declare that I am a very poor writer indeed. Sadly, most of my writing is so horrific that it will make the readers eyes bleed.... [tags: Writing, Learning, Writer, Writing system]
711 words (2 pages)
- My Growth as a Writer Most of us write in some form every day, so you would expect that most of us would be well practiced and pretty good at writing. I read and write all the time; I have been taken several college courses and nearly all of them require write of some form. However, before taking this class not only was I not a good writer, I knew I wasn’t a good writer. Now I am not saying that I am ready to write my first novel, but I certainly more confident in turning in my college papers. The content of this course and the style of teaching was incredibly beneficial to me.... [tags: Writing, Writer, Creative writing, Paper]
789 words (2.3 pages)
- A GANGSTETR TURNES WRITER There was a kid named Tony Davidson who lived in Italy, Tony’s dad had a very powerful gang in Italy and everybody knew who they were. “If you’re having any problems I’ll fix them.” Said Tony’s dad. Tony however didn’t like violence he thought that all things could be handled peacefully. However everyone at school was afraid of him. They always bought him presents, gave him money because they knew if they didn’t they would the price. Tony never asked for any of it though.... [tags: Free Essay Writer]
740 words (2.1 pages)
- The new and improved Automated Essay Writer automatically writes your assignment, essays, articles, research papers for you. All you need to do is enter your assignment requirements and the Automated Essay Writer will present you with a unique and original essay within just few seconds. The only problem is that it has not yet been developed. Until the day we have finally perfected the Automated Essay Writer, one must be able to express themselves in writing if they wish to participate in the modern world.... [tags: Automated Essay Writer]
2253 words (6.4 pages)
- In my past writing assignments it seemed to be that we were learning everything step by step, where as in college more is expected from me as a writer. As a high school student it was quite easy to push everything off till the last moment. Those two o'clock nights were very frequent when a six-page research paper was due the next day. As a college student the requirements are more challenging and not something that can be pushed back till the very last second. It seems strange to me that starting earlier for a college paper and working twice as hard on it, receiving a lower grade on it than I would have in high school is upsetting to think about, but is so true.... [tags: How I Have Changed As A Writer]
524 words (1.5 pages)