What Good Writing by Great Writers Entails
Everyone who has learned to read and write can write literature by forming and putting down a story, but good writing requires more than literacy. All great writers have different views on what it takes to be a great writer except that they agree that writing is onerous. Even then, they disagree on the extent of its difficulty. Ernest Hemingway says that to be a great writer one should cut one’s vein and bleed while Elizabeth Gilbert detests this statement and says that a good writer must hold on to stubborn gladness(qtd. in Fassler, “The ‘Stubborn Gladness’”). While there is no one rule to writing well, a great writer must be a committed, and write personally but should not be a self-centered individual while writing; one who aspires to belong to the canon must embody these traits.
A good writer must be individualistic in the writing of his or her literary piece, whatever genre of literature that is being written. In an interview with Jonathan Franzen, winner of National Book Award in 2001, states that a good writer must be able to seclude themselves from society while writing (qtd.in Fassler “How to write”). Writing is a personal work that should not be done collectively or by collaboration even with the internet. Will Self, author of Umbrella, says to “regard yourself as a corporation of one,” which coincides with Jonathan Franzen’s view (“Ten Rules”). Good writers dig deep into themselves and tell their own stories. Nabokov states that a good reader must use their imagination because it was what the writer used in making the literary work (Nabokov). A writer’s imagination can only come from within. Therefore, a good writer must mingle with society carefully so the individual in the w...
... middle of paper ...
...as important. Besides, writing requires commitment, and lack of inspiration is a good excuse for the beginning writer to procrastinate. A writer will not be inspired while waiting rather, while he is exercising writing. Great writers keep writing until the work can be considered good.
Applying the advice of great writers and developing one’s own rules will make one a good writer. Isolation from the world while writing is the key to ingenuity for a writer. If a writer lets his writing be controlled by the characters the writer is writing about, then his writing will achieve greater heights than they would have if they were limited to the will of the writer. The persistence of a writer will make the writer keep writing even if at the verge of tears until good writing is produced. Good writing which makes a great writer is difficult but it is achievable by anyone.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- This for me was a very hard question to answer due to the fact that its an opinion, and there are very many types of writing. Different structures, ideas, metaphors, and concepts. You have to remember to ask, whether the writing in itself is good in my point of view or not, has to answer to my specific guidelines which in your case might not be the same. The first and foremost of the many guidelines is how the author set's up the introductory sentence or better yet, the hook. If the author for example, is writing a cook-book, his first sentence should be appealing to the sense of taste.... [tags: Characteristics of Good Writing]
606 words (1.7 pages)
- There are many different definitions good writing can be defined as. However, good writing can be defined as having a purpose, being organized, as well as having an individual style. For any writing, a purpose is needed to reach the audience. The purpose is to deliver a strong message to an audience so they will comprehend the material. Organizational skills are necessary to thrive in writing. The writing must be organized in a way so everyone can comprehend what is being stated. Organizational skills can go hand in hand with using proper grammar which also makes the message clear.... [tags: Writing, Writer, Creative writing, Style]
1006 words (2.9 pages)
- Writing is one of the best way to express an argument or give information to a audience. From essays like this to movie scripts, there are so many different types of writing that it would be very difficult to define “Good Writing” with one single set of rules. The best example of different types of good writing is by looking at Discourse communities, all of which use different variations of writing inside their community. Discourse communities are different groups of people who associate with the same ideas and practices.... [tags: Writing, Writing process, Writing style]
887 words (2.5 pages)
- Throughout Nathaniel Hawthorne’s literary career, he utilized multiple literary techniques. He was an example for countless writers and is still a model for authors today. Nathaniel Hawthorne’s employment of modern themes and style, along with the effect of influences on his writing, paved the way for his renowned career as an author. One important factor in Nathaniel Hawthorne’s writing was the use of modern themes. The problem of guilt is a major theme in Hawthorne’s works. Hawthorne demonstrates this theme in different novels and short stories through his characters.... [tags: writers, writing]
690 words (2 pages)
- What is Good Writing. Correct spelling and grammar, sentence variety, conciseness, effective paragraphing, do these words sounds familiar. Well those are a few of many other rules that we are taught since we were in school about how to write well. There is nothing wrong about these rules though, however, good writing is more than having correct spelling, grammar, sentence variety, etc. Writing has been part of our lives for centuries and centuries, when people used to write with images because words were unknown.... [tags: Writing, Writer, Alphabet, Paper]
1159 words (3.3 pages)
- It was interesting to read everyone’s theories about writing and hear both similar and diverse insights about people’s writing processes and their past experiences with writing. It helped me reflect on things more too. A few people talked about not really knowing where to begin when asked, “What is your theory of writing?” For example, Renee said, “What is my theory of writing?” To be honest I’m not sure if I have one, or really fully understand what it means exactly. I get extremely frustrated trying to write a paper when I don’t exactly know what I’m supposed to write” I also wasn’t sure what a “theory of writing” was exactly when I sat down to work on this assignment.... [tags: Writing, Writing process, A Great Way to Care]
1041 words (3 pages)
- Thomas Carlyle once said, “A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder. At the beginning of this class, I had only one question in mind. What makes a good writer great. What set of qualities do they have that makes them such remarkable writers. And I wanted to evaluate those qualities that makes them so unique. In order for me to accomplish that, I need to take a class where student read and write extensively. A class that makes a student think outside the box. Intro to creative writing was a perfect class for me.... [tags: Writing, Creative writing, Writer, Literature]
1069 words (3.1 pages)
- Writing and the writing process are taught at a young age. As young students, we learn the alphabet so that we can learn to formulate words, which eventually become sentences and then essays or books. The writing process is an important factor when turning sentences into a formal writing piece. It’s taught at an early age because it takes time to fully understand and perfect the process. There are many steps involved that are all essential in constructing a well written and thought out paper. These steps will follow a student all way to college, and even into ones career upon graduating.... [tags: Writing, Communication, Writing process]
891 words (2.5 pages)
- The Effects of Beat Writers and Experimental Poetry on Edwin Morgan's Work Discussing influences that in some way or other cause an author to change his work usually presents some difficulties, for example, why do we think a particular influence more important than another, and which one do we choose when there are many different ones. In Edwin Morgan's case there are quite a number of influences, all of them worth discussing: There are authors he translated like Vladimir Mayakovsky, Francesco Petrarca, Sándor Weöres, Eugenio Montale, Andrei Voznesensky, Attila József, and others; there are also William Blake, Percy Bysshe Shelley, G.M.... [tags: Edwin Morgan Poetry Beat Writers Essays]
5438 words (15.5 pages)
- Your Writing Style How can one person know what good style is when writing a paper. Where is it written that we as students should have to follow specific guidelines while writing. Anyone wanting to make their writing clear, precise, and simply correct will usually try following some type of guideline, or book in order to perfect their own writing style. After reading both The Elements of Style by Strunk and White, and also Williams’s Style toward Clarity and Grace I can see why teachers discuss these books as tools for correcting and perfecting their students writing, and style.... [tags: Writing Writers Education Essays]
1535 words (4.4 pages)
- An Explanation Of The Proposed Project Is Feasible And Fundable
- My Job Career Plan For A New Job Assistant Manager With A Local Sme
- Difference Between Women And Women
- Different Types Of Business And Investment Decisions
- Challenger K8 School Of Science And Mathematics
- Analysis Of Mary Shelley 's ' Frankenstein '