Games were first invented in the late 1940’s being found on mainframe computers. The first commercially viable game was computer space in 1971 a coin operated arcade version of an earlier game called Spacewar! And was the first mass produced video game with 1500 copies.
As games progressed so did their influence, effecting further generations. The effect that games have had on this generation is hotly debated. However it has not just been gaming that has an effect on society. Games themselves have had such a large impact that films have been made of them, clothes styled around them and famous bands and artists supporting them.
The hottest debate concerning video games is obviously whether or not they encourage violence to those who play them. Debates are often struck up over the portrayal of criminal behavior, gory or overly realistic violence, full or partial nudity, virtual sex or any other questionable material. This often leads to video games being blamed for many modern problems, particularly with youths.
Several studies have been made which have had mixed results. Some studies have claimed to find a direct link with video games to all of the above. Other studies have found no correlation at all.
A large chunk of ammunition for those opposed to the violence are the 1999 massacre at the columbine high school, USA. In this case two individuals, eric harris and dylan klebold, killed twelve students, one teacher and injured t...
... middle of paper ...
...pons and many other tasks are peformed. This clearly exercises the brains ability to process multiple pieces of data and information.
Quick thinking and fast analysis
In the heat of combat, the whirling speed of a race or the fast paced traversing of an advwnture game quick thinking and fast analysis is used heavily. A player will analyse the combat, next upcoming corner or area they are trying to maneuvure and make quick descisions on what their next course of action will be. This is constantly done throuought the game, making players constantly adapt and change their plans.
Reading and math skills
Young players are forced to learn to read in order to understand instructions, objectives and storylines in most games. Maths skills are vastly improved through games that involve resource management.
Strategy and anticipation
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Rebellious, violent behavior in youth is often treated simplistically – whether Elvis Presley’s latest hits, the programs airing on Saturday night television, or the newest film playing in theaters were popular amongst children and young adults, the blame for unfavorable behavior has always had its scapegoat. One of the most recent additions to society’s scapegoats is video gaming. Whether the objective of a given game is to fight crime or cause it, the morality of video games is often questioned and scrutinized by analysts and citizens alike.... [tags: Video Gaming]
1627 words (4.6 pages)
- Within this assignment I will describe the impact on computer games on society. Over the past twenty year, the influence of gaming development has both negative and positive effects on society. One of the impacts which affect the society is that the games will continue to develop and grown for the users to continue to pay and play the games which are released. For example, gaming hardware has to consistently grow and change for the direct effect on the users. This also has an impact on the gaming industry because the change in the technology.... [tags: Game, Play, Video game, Games]
1589 words (4.5 pages)
- Advances in technology on the internet are making it a continually more ‘real’ experience for its users. To what extent are the places, relationships, communities and identities represented on the internet real. The increasing speed and efficiency with which humans can communicate within the online world has had an enormous effect on our culture. Furthermore the increasing reality in which Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing games (MMORPGs) represent human life online is affecting the way that humans interact with one another.... [tags: Online, video games, computer games]
1019 words (2.9 pages)
- Violent video games and violent adolescent behavior, is there a connection. Millions of violent video games are sold around the United States, millions more are sold overseas, but the numbers of violent crimes, that could be associated with violent video games is low. Assault, robbery, burglary, rape and murder occur daily. The drug industry accounts for the majority of these crimes. The cases not related to drugs, fall into a number of categories, including Psychological Disorders. Disorders that can cause violent behavior are psychotic or anti-social behavior, depression, schizophrenia, delusion, disassociation, and any others recognized by a Psychologist.... [tags: Gaming ]
1976 words (5.6 pages)
- In today’s world one thing you don’t hear everyday is learning is fun. For some it can be, but many children aren’t that excited to learn. What if there was a way to make learning fun for kids. Well there is, its called gamification. Gamifiction is the process of using game thinking and game mechanics to engage audiences according to Gabe Zichermann an educational gaming expert. Though its been said that video games cause laziness and violence in kids, we now know that video games can be a significant learning tool in early child development.... [tags: Gaming ]
1688 words (4.8 pages)
- As the gaming industry continues to progress, and become a bigger part of society, more people begin to become interested in games. However, game developers must decide how the games are constructed and who their target consumer is. Most games in circulation today are based on the interests of the male demographic. This raises the question, “What causes different preferences in games among gender?” There will always be distinctive characteristics that stand out between males and females, but pertaining to the gaming, there are major attributes that affect preference such as, exposure, goals, and values.... [tags: video Games, Genders]
948 words (2.7 pages)
- It seems like everything coming out about video games is bad. A student tried to kill his fellow classmates, and he was an avid Call of Duty player. A study has been released that proves that playing video games will turn you into a criminal. The many benefits of games and gaming, such as their possible applications to education and their ability to tell more complex stories than other forms of media, are almost universally ignored. I know better, though. Between the lifetime I’ve spent playing and loving video games, and the articles I’ve found, I can tell you that video games do not cause violent behavior or thoughts.... [tags: Video Games]
1107 words (3.2 pages)
- Nowadays video games are a very prominent part of our society, being one of the biggest entertainment markets out there, despite how large the gaming market is, people mostly only view games as entertainment with little benefits aside from passing the time. Games are not just a fun way to whittle away time, but they are one of the most effective mediums to train our brain and skills. Video games are one of the most effective ways to transmit knowledge yet the public only sees educational games for this purpose, while others see the rest of the gaming industry transmitting harmful habits.... [tags: Video game, Game, Video game genres]
1657 words (4.7 pages)
- Video games, interactive electronics which take the user to a whole different world full of imagination and creativity. Games bring happiness and enjoyment to everyone who plays it but a problem arises when the game is turned off, do those ideals and thought processes that develop during the game leave with the player when all is said and done. News outlets and vocal baby boomers are very outspoken on how they see video games as a detriment to the youth of today, that they’re the cause of rebellion and violent acts that kids are committing today.... [tags: Terrorism, Violence, Crime, War]
1110 words (3.2 pages)
- The censoring of violent video games has been a controversial issue since the early 90’s to the present time, and has been growing more and more with the advanced graphics that have been developing each and every year. (Including the fact that people react even more to the unexplained missions that they give in video games). For the good of society violent video games should be banned. There are many positive effects to censoring violent video games, but one that has the most impact on the whole controversial issue is health.... [tags: violent video games, obesity]
962 words (2.7 pages)