... middle of paper ...
...gh, that leads us to believe there are some who are not so average, maybe above or below. The persons who could be considered above average, where do they fall on this outlook of pessimism. Are they able to be stoic and also show emotion without complaining about everyday life? Colin Wilson is assuming that no one can show emotion and we assume from his assumption that means the bad things but to be a stoic means no emotion. If you’re happy and joyful you cannot show it. Have they found the key to happiness in life? Then that leads us to believe that some are below average, since not every person is the same person in every way. Ultimately, Colin Wilson is not correct by his assumption of the average man being a conformist and a stoic, purely from the fact that life, and the human experience is the product of our emotions, predispositions and reaction to experiences.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- When presented with the question, “What does the word ‘preponderance’ mean?” most people would pull out their smart phone, and look up the definition on Google. Thirty years ago, you would have to yank out the old dictionary and go to the pages with the “P’s” on them. Instead of doing the work and searching for information, the modern population has been spoiled by the easy access to this information, and therefore became lazy when it comes to looking something up. A student may be able to tell their teacher by using the internet that preponderance means “larger in number”, but if the teacher asks that same student four months later, there’s a reasonable chance that the student will not reme... [tags: Mobile phone, Writing, Classroom, Mind]
1102 words (3.1 pages)
- What does the word concussion mean to you. Does it mean to become unconscious, or merely a change in consciousness. The definition of a concussion is just a change in consciousness. Common signs of concussions include; memory problems, confusion, nausea or vomiting, or balance problems. Concussions have been a problem in sports for many years. You will see what some experts have to say about effects of concussions and what they really are. David Camarillo, a former football player, discusses why helmets do not protect against concussion in his TedTalk.... [tags: Traumatic brain injury, Concussion, Brain]
925 words (2.6 pages)
- What does the word religion mean. According to sociologist Emile Durkheim, he defined religion as “A religion is a unified system of beliefs and practices relative to sacred things, that is to say, things set apart and forbidden -- beliefs and practices which unite into one single moral community called a Church, all those who adhere to them” (Jones, n.d.). In today’s society there are many different kinds of religious beliefs. Religious denominations and doctrines vary throughout the world. Some refer to religion as an affiliation with a specific organized religious doctrine which aligns under the Christian umbrella such as Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran, Episcopalian, Protestant, Presbyterian... [tags: Religion, Faith, Christianity, God]
2389 words (6.8 pages)
- And That’s The Word The meaning of a word can have a major impact on how you use it. Only a simple word people choose to use can have enough power. It can affect people, community, and even culture. These three authors have something in common. Nancy Mairs, Gloria Naylor and Leonard Pitts Jr. show how the meaning of a word can have such a large impact. These essays show how the language can impact accordingly. In Mairs, “On Being a Cripple” she believes the word crippled the more proper definition for her condition than other words like disabled and handicapped.... [tags: Language]
806 words (2.3 pages)
- The Stoic Tradition In the approximate year of 320 B.C., one could be walking down the street with a high probability of passing a house where several men would be gathered out on the porch. It is likely that this was a gathering of individuals discussing philosophy. The gatherings became a more common occurrence, and since they would take place out on the porches, the school of philosophy derived from them takes its name from the Greek stoa, or porch. The ideology of that movement is henceforth known as Stoicism.... [tags: Philosophy Religion Essays]
1227 words (3.5 pages)
- For any writer there is times that we can 't choose the right word at times and at the last second we choose a word that seems right but it 's in the wrong context. As result, it leaves a wrong meaning to what we are writing. Well the problem is the usage of the "exact words" at the right time. The usage of the exact words helps the writer choose from a variety of words that help clarify or state the writer 's true meaning of his or her writing. Exact words comes in many different forms to help the writer from narrowing down specific words to the careful usage of figure of speech.... [tags: Writing, Writer, Meaning of life, Word]
848 words (2.4 pages)
- Mean Girls vs. Mean Girls 2 I’m sure almost everyone has seen the very popular and very successful movie Mean Girls, starring Lindsay Lohan as a high school girl trying to adjust to a new school and make new friends along the way. She has just moved from Africa and is starting at a brand new school. She becomes friends with two different friend groups, “The Plastics”, and “The Losers”. Cady is in constant battle with trying to please both groups and make everyone, including herself, happy. On the other hand, a sequel came out years later, Mean Girls 2.... [tags: Mean Girls, Lindsay Lohan, Film, MTV Movie Awards]
1152 words (3.3 pages)
- The serial position effect has been studied extensively for many years. Researchers have designed a variety of different studies in order to analyze and explain both, the primacy and the recency effect. The primacy effect is the tendency for the first items presented in a series of words to be recalled more easily, or to be more influential than those presented at the end of the list. On the other end, there is also the recency effect. The recency effect is the tendency to recall the items located at the end of the list.... [tags: word recall, primacy effect, recency effect]
1521 words (4.3 pages)
- The movie Mean Girls is about a bunch of high school girls who are only looking out for their best interest and bringing down other girls around them. This may just be a movie, but this movie is also a great representation of typical high school girls. High school years for girls are very awkward. All that most girls want to do is to fit in. This is not the case for all girls, but it is seen a lot in high school where girls will do just about anything to get peoples attention. They will dress differently, the act differently, they will go against their own morals, and they will backstab their friends.... [tags: High school, Mean Girls, At Seventeen, Tina Fey]
1049 words (3 pages)
- Movie Analysis: Mean Girls The movie that I chose to do my analysis on, is Mean Girls because it is my all-time favorite movie. I watched it a million times, it never gets old and plus I know every single line in the movie. The main character Cady, played by Lindsay Lohan, exhibits how to go from being a nerd, popular, hated and rehabilitated all in one school year. It’s hilarious movie about high school but, it also covers many interpersonal concepts that we learned in class like: verbal communication, conflict and relationship dynamics.... [tags: Mean Girls, Lindsay Lohan, Tina Fey]
1652 words (4.7 pages)