Everyone has been determined to do something at one point in their lives, but what does determination really mean? What one person is determined to do, another person might not care about, or could be determined to do it at a different extent. Determination comes from within, so it can vary from person to person. Per the dictionary, determination is “the act of coming to a decision or of fixing or settling a purpose” (“Determination”). When you have a strong need or want to do something, whether it be for yourself or someone else, you are determined.
Determination can mean something different to everyone. For me, at this point in my life, I am mostly determined to do things for myself. A parent might be more determined to do things for their children, while police officers are determined to do things for everyone. Someone who likes a challenge is typically considered more of a determined person than someone who is lazy and does not care about doing anything. To be determined, you must have the right mind set. If you do not actually want or need to get something done, you will not be determined to do it. Usually, if you do not have the determination, you will not get things done. If you are determined, you will not give up. You know exactly what you want and do everything in your power to accomplish whatever it is that you are doing. I have been very determined in a few different situations, and have been very successful in completing the task at hand in these situations.
As soon as I got my driver’s license, I wanted to get my own car. I knew that my parents would never buy me one though, I had to raise the money to get one myself. I have been babysitting for quite a while, but it was not often enough to raise th...
... middle of paper ...
...ld is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent” (Thibeaux). I had the determination, and I remained persistent. She made me want to become successful and to do the best I could. I never gave up until I had what I wanted.
Determination is when a person does everything they can to get something done without giving up. It is a very important skill to have, especially to an employer when you are trying to find a job. It seems like it can be difficult to find determined people today, especially in our younger generations. We have become so lazy and careless compared to those in the past who knew their purpose and got things done. Determined people are very successful, so it is essential that everyone tries harder for the things they want. Having determination can do a lot for people, and it is amazing to see where it can take you.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- It used to be said that everybody was equal. One said it was separate but equal. Does this really mean that everybody is equal. Well, back then this meant that all of the upper class white men were equal. They had to own land and have quite a bit of money. The problem with this was that African Americans were left out. One knows they were left out because everything was segregated, including schools. In “One Friday Morning,” Nancy is not given a scholarship because she is colored. This was before all the cases about segregation.... [tags: racism, equality, discrimination]
714 words (2 pages)
- It minds blowing on the different perception of what decision making and plagiarism mean. It is so much more to it than what was previously taught in a school. In school, it was taught that decision making is what you make of it. If there were a problem, the answer was to come up with a solution. Did you know that there is not a right way or a wrong way to come to an important decision. However, at the college and graduate school level, it more perception to it. The concept of those two is much elaborated.... [tags: Cognition, Decision making]
1738 words (5 pages)
- In present day, it is expected that after high school students continue their education to college. Therefore, it is no surprise to say that most students follow the pedigree, making a bachelor’s degree dilute to the value of a high school diploma. Yes, it is great that you obtained a bachelor’s degree, but it doesn’t differentiate you from the other hundred people who apply for the job position. Now, advanced degrees like masters and doctorates are what count. Not only does it [bachelor’s degree] not give you a better chance at an entry-level job, but also, the majority of college graduates are swimming in a pool of debt.... [tags: Financial Aid, Self Discovery]
1386 words (4 pages)
- Many people struggle with who they are. Some people use those awkward teen years to figure it out while others may have had such a hard childhood that they don’t figure it out until they’re adults. As a part of this week’s curriculum we were assigned a test to get to know ourselves better and to get a better grasp on strengths, weaknesses, and how we learn. I felt the test was rather basic as opposed to a test such as the Myers Briggs test, which is way more in-depth than the “survey” I just took.... [tags: Citation, Bibliography, Parenthetical referencing]
1138 words (3.3 pages)
- Choices That Mean Life or Death In Antigone The play Antigone was penned by Sophocles, a Greek writer, sometime in the late 440s B.C. This Greek tragedy uses a combination of literary elements in order to grab the reader’s attention. Two such elements are theme and conflict. Most importantly, Sophocles’s Antigone deals with themes, such as the conflict of family versus state, the conflict of individual versus government, and the conflict of human versus divine laws, that are still very prevalent in modern human societies (Nardo 16).... [tags: Papers]
1389 words (4 pages)
- ... She is also the one that her father asked to do his business work. """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" "I need you to deliver some money to a client in San Francisco"(Enrique pg 68). Enrique trusts his daughter enough with his business because he knows that Minerva is trustworthy. Being a hero doesn't mean you are perfect in every way every hero is just as ordinary as anyone else on this planet. Minerva doesn't show the characteristics of a hero all the time, it is always within her, but she is just like anyone else.... [tags: determination, courage, beliefs]
550 words (1.6 pages)
- ... Laurie is disturbed because of the choices her class made. “Mom, the only thing that disturbs me is that so mom kids in my class could allow themselves get caught up in something so immature”. Laurie is upset that people in her class are joining the Wave. Laurie is mad about the wave because people are being beat up because of their own beliefs. All in all, Laurie is disturbed her class is involved in the Wave. Laurie shows her independence by doing the Gordon grapevine while her friends are hanging out.... [tags: school, bravery, independence, determination]
562 words (1.6 pages)
- There have been many great fighters throughout history. Many have been very successful in their career and were very popular; however, few have been able to leave there mark on society as well as the boxing community. Not many boxers took the initiative the make an impact on the boxing world and influence our future fighters. One person who was an excellent fighter and did go the extra mile was the one and only, Michael Gerard Tyson. Many people might not know the struggles becoming what he is today.... [tags: boxing, athletics, determination]
1145 words (3.3 pages)
- Morgantown, W.Va.- A four game losing streak could really tear apart a team, but not the Mountaineers. It seems that it has brought them closer together with the determination to get back on track. Head Coach Dana Holgorsen met with the seniors a couple weeks ago and set-up some goals and they are on their way to reaching them. Jared Barber wanted to keep the meeting between the senior and coach. However, he believes the seniors need to be the leaders. "It is all up to our seniors. When it comes down to it, that 's who younger guys listen to.... [tags: American football, 2009 singles, 2005 singles]
980 words (2.8 pages)
- What a Home Really is in The House on Mango Street “Home is where the heart is.” In The House on Mango Street, Sandra Cisneros develops this famous statement to depict what a “home” really represents. What is a home. Is it a house with four walls and a roof, the neighborhood of kids while growing up, or a unique Cleaver household where everything is perfect and no problems arise. According to Cisneros, we all have our own home with which we identify; however, we cannot always go back to the environment we once considered our dwelling place.... [tags: The House on Mango Street Sandra Cisneros]
1236 words (3.5 pages)