1 WHAT DO I KNOW ABOUT MYSELF AS A NEGOTIATOR?
An important lesson that I have learnt throughout this subject was the fact that each negotiation goes through a number of phases before coming to a conclusion or a final agreement. We have had an extensive discussion in the lecture on what is the longest and most important stage, however we did not come up to a concrete conclusion as all of the stages have a vital role in the overall process. Judging by my personal experience and simulations done in class, I can say that planning stage is probably one of the longest, especially if the negotiation has many aspects that have to be talked over. A good example of this would be our last simulation done in class-Union vs. Management. We were given an entire morning to negotiate, out of which over 3 hours were used for the bargaining and agreement part. However prior to that we held 2 meetings with all of the group members in order to discuss how we would approach the overall negotiation. We have read the case study a number of times and divided into separate p...
... middle of paper ...
...as to become an effective leader in negotiation communications.
Overall, I would like to say that the course was very helpful as it has not only taught me a number of frameworks and techniques that are useful in negotiation, but it gave me an opportunity to practice those techniques and see how they work in real-life situations.
There were many techniques and methods I have never heard of before, further more looking back at my previous negotiations I can clearly see the mistakes I was making: lacking planning, not listening and having a pro-active approach, not framing the negotiation and jumping straight to the main part thus creating confusion for the other party.
I have also learnt the importance of taking breaks and stepping back in order to get over certain barriers or difficult points, this was especially highlighted during all of the simulations.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- My worldview has changed drastically since I last took this class. I had always believed in God, believed he was the creator of all things, the maker of heaven and earth. However, I never knew there could be a relationship with him until I was born again. Now I know that all things are new, all the old has passed. Although, learning to love my enemies has not been easy, I know now that God should be the only one to judge. It is my position no longer to hold a grudge or seek vengeance. Vengeance is not mine and nor should vengeance be anyone’s.... [tags: Essay About Myself]
700 words (2 pages)
- In his first anthology of poems entitled “Song of Myself”, Walt Whitman reveals some of his views on democracy through the use of symbolism and free verse poetry. His use of symbolism and free verse poetry creates indeterminacy, giving the reader hints rather than answers about the nature of the poem. In the sixth part of “Song of Myself”, a child asks the narrator of the poem, “What is the grass?” (Whitman). Instead of simply giving an answer, the narrator cannot make up his mind, and stumbles on how to explain the grass to the child.... [tags: Song of Myself Essays]
1357 words (3.9 pages)
- Individuality in Whitman's Song of Myself During a lecture in 1907, William James said "the philosophy which is so important in each of us is not a technical matter; it is our more or less dumb sense of what life honestly means. It is only partly got from books; it is our individual way of just seeing and feeling the total push and pressure of the cosmos" (Bartlett 546) Individuality has been a prevalent theme in every type of literature for quite some time. Whether it is a character discovering his/her individuality or the author expressing his, literature is full of distinctness.... [tags: Song of Myself Essays]
1259 words (3.6 pages)
- I don’t consider myself a very good writer. I write when I am made to or when I have something that I need to say that I can’t just tell someone. I keep a diary. Usually my diary is just a record of what I have done that day. It’s not so much about my feelings. I don’t really like talking about my feelings, usually because most of the time I am confused about what exactly I am feeling. I tend to keep the feelings that I do have to myself, to protect myself from getting hurt. I didn’t have that many close friends in high school.... [tags: Essay About Myself]
1291 words (3.7 pages)
- Sometimes mankind has to ask the question ‘what is it that makes up the actions and determines the type of interaction that we display when around other people?' Notes to Myself is the contemporary world's way of questioning the value of putting on facades. The novel also questions things we know as ‘ trivial' such as watching a cat sleep on our belly or staring at clouds in the sky. The author used an interesting form for writing his collection, omitting page numbers and leaving no indication as to what subject the reader should expect to be encountering upon reading sections.... [tags: Notes to Myself Essays]
399 words (1.1 pages)
- Walt Whitman's "Song of Myself" Walt Whitman's 'Song of Myself' is, on the most basic descriptive level, a really long poem. Whitman is clearly a poet with a lot to say, or at least with a lot of different ways to say it. He meanders from the micro to the macro, from atoms to the whole earth. There are obviously myriad ways to explain what the poem is about, and myriad 'keys' to its true meaning. In what became Section 6 of the final edition (lines 90-121 of the 1855 edition ) Whitman himself addresses this sort of 'meta-question' of interpretation.... [tags: Song of Myself Essays]
1767 words (5 pages)
- Hi, my name is Rob Geis and I am currently in grade 12. I have been at County High School for a year now; I joined at the start of 11th grade, and have thoroughly enjoyed myself here. The school is great, the people are fantastic and the atmosphere is one that makes you actually want to go to school. Before I joined ASB I was studying at the Singapore American School for two years and prior to that I was at the International School of Kuala Lumpur for two years. I was born and raised here in Bombay city and grew up here.... [tags: Free Essay About Myself]
448 words (1.3 pages)
- School, to me and among many peers of my age, is not a distant term. I have spent one-third of my life time sitting in classrooms, every week since I was seven years old. After spending this much time in school, many things and experiences that happened there have left their mark in my memory. Some are small incidences while some have had a great impact on me. However, regardless the degree of significance, things that happened all contributed to shape the person that I am now. I was accused of cheating for the first time when I was seven years old.... [tags: Essay About Myself]
1735 words (5 pages)
- Growing up in a town of less than 1500 citizens offered little diversity. I grew up around others that belittled people for their beliefs, color of skin, or sexuality. When I moved to downtown one of the first people I naturally ran into was my neighbor in the house next door. Right away when I met David I automatically knew that he was gay. Months went by without anyone in my household or me talking to our neighbors. After this long period of time I noticed one night that they were having a get together and I thought it would be a good time to say hi and finally get to know everybody a little better.... [tags: Essay About Myself]
1045 words (3 pages)
- Sometimes a person may feel that they have no purpose in life. Finding out who you are just takes the time of sitting down and thinking of the importance in your life. Who am I. I am Mercedes Kimberly Kingston, and I am a person with different personalities, characteristics, and identities. The many ways, in which I identify myself, in fact, are the ways that define who I am. My Identity is something only I can fully define. I have a little brother, which makes me a sister; I have two loving parents, which makes me a daughter; I am in college studying medicine, which makes me a student; and I have wonderful friends in desperate need of support, which makes me a wonderful best... [tags: Essay About Myself]
1106 words (3.2 pages)