West Virginia’s voting for state and Congressional representatives have been overwhelmingly democratic since the 1960’s. For example, the late, great Robert C. Byrd was a democratic US Senator from 1959 to 2010. His efforts to bring pork barrel spending and ear marks to benefit his represented citizens was the understood methodology of his incumbency. The West Virginia House of Delegates is current 54 to 46, with Democrats being the majority party. Twenty-eight Democrats and six Republicans (WV Constitution) fulfill the 34 seats in the Senate. The federal representatives of the House and Senate are similar, with incumbent Democrats Jay Rockefeller, and Joe Manchin, as well as two Republican, and one Democratic representative in the House. For my local region of West Virginia, Shelley Moore Capi...
... middle of paper ...
November 25, 2013.
West, C. Deadly Force and Public Reason1.
http://wpsa.research.pdx.edu/papers/docs/Deadlyamswpsa.pdf (accessed November 25, 2013)
West Virginia Blue Book (pp 535, 2012 edition)
West Virginia Constitution, West Virginia Legislature
http://www.legis.state.wv.us/WVCODE/WV_CON.cfm (accessed November 25, 2013)
West Virginia Well-Being". Gallup-Hathaway. http://www.well-
beingindex.com/files/2013WBIrankings/WV_2012StateReport.pdf (accessed November 25, 2013)
Wilson , Charles Reagan and Ferris, William. Encyclopedia of Southern Culture, Univ. of
North Carolina Press, 1990.
WV Cycling. Jan. 1, 2011 By working to improve the state's infrastructure, Congresswoman
Shelley Moore Capito is promoting safety and helping grow the economy. https://wvcycling.wordpress.com/tag/shelley-moore-capito/. Accessed November 24th, 2013
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- It's Time for West Virginia to Eliminate Food Tax Can you recall an incident in American history involving disgruntled citizens dumping tea into the Boston Harbor. I can. This tea dumping was one of the foremost events of the revolution. Do you remember why these angry citizens dressed as Indians, stormed one of their own boats, and dumped all of the crates of tea into the harbor. The English monarchy’s taxing of the settlers’ tea caused this uprising. Right now, West Virginia’s government is levying an almost identical tax; the government is taxing the very food that West Virginians eat for survival.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Argument Essays]
1922 words (5.5 pages)
- Politicians' Attempt to Stay in Office: Taxing People Outside Their Voting District The United States is one of the most democratic nations in the world. However, for our elected representatives, government is also a business, and these officials want to do anything they can to stay employed, or get re-elected. There are several ways they can do this, but one way has been used repeatedly since the American Revolution. It has been used in many examples, including the trade wars between the states of the 1780’s, the taxation of the federal bank by Maryland until 1819, the speed trap in Macks Creek, MO in the 1990’s, West Virginia’s current tax on river traffic, increased taxes for hotels an... [tags: Politics Political Essays]
1327 words (3.8 pages)
- A September 7th 2011 New York Times article with the headline “Pennsylvania Sues Over Coal-Mine Discharges” by Deborah Weisberg sits at an important intersection of mining operations in the US. This intersection is illustrated by a small icon adjacent to the article with the tag “Politics and Policy”. This tag is indicative of the political nature of most environmental issues today. Coal mining, with its immense environmental implications, is still a lucrative economic foundation of many Appalachian states.... [tags: Political Factors, Virginia]
1119 words (3.2 pages)
- Nineteenth century Britain was a dominate empire across the globe. Despite the country’s loss of a major colonial force — the United States — the country still dominate world trade, allowing for a sense of pride to be installed within the hearts of the English. As exposed throughout Virginia Woolf’s, Mrs. Dalloway, the mindset of the British was one of grand superiority. Due to the success of the British empire's colonial expeditions, many British citizens felt as though their country was the greatest and most advanced in the world, creating a sense of superficial, self-centered, pride, as reflected through the character of Clarissa.... [tags: market, india, economoy]
1298 words (3.7 pages)
- West Virginia is stereotyped as a poor state, a state that suffers badly from poverty. Most people fail to see the positive things about West Virginia, such as their beautiful environment that allows great vacation places that are always neglected along with minerals and goods that are produced throughout the United States of America and used worldwide. Although, West Virginia is stereotyped as a poverty based state, it has much to offer. A number of famous people have also originated from the small state of West Virginia.... [tags: Robert Lee “Sam” Huff, West Virginia, sports,]
946 words (2.7 pages)
- The state of West Virginia advances special insight of the economic adversity our country is confronting. As the unemployment rate continues to increase so does the demand for medical care, however, numerous people still have no health insurance. West Virginia Health Right (WVHR) extends free medical care to the underserved and poor population of West Virginia. Although the benefits they offer may appear uncomplicated to many, there are numerous organizational ordeals WVHR must deal with. This paper will present an analysis of WVHR, extending a look into the strategic planning adversities its leadership contends with in addition to potential solutions to make their strategy succeed.... [tags: free medical care, health insurance, west virginia]
1896 words (5.4 pages)
- From the early death of her mother at age 13 to the sexual abuse from her own half brothers led to the many mental and emotional breakdowns that made Virginia Woolf, “one of the greatest novelists of the twentieth century…” (“Virginia Woolf” n.page.). Woolf’s, “Kew Gardens”, is a classic short story written in 1919 that shows the importance of women’s rights and illustrates that even when you are surrounded by people you still can feel empty and alone. This significant story reflects Virginia’s life filled with depression even though she was a great success and had a happy marriage.... [tags: Virginia Woolf, ]
1357 words (3.9 pages)
- Rebecca West's The Return of the Soldier and Virginia Woolf's Jacob's Room Rebecca West and Virginia Woolf give great significance to the families of their respective main characters in The Return of the Soldier and Jacob’s Room because it gives the reader a greater insight to the formation of and reasoning for both Chris and Jacob’s nature. Each of these characters have multiple families to deal with: Chris has Kitty and Jenny on the one hand, and Margaret on the other, while Jacob deals with his mother and brother as well as his connections to society and academia.... [tags: Woolf West Soldier Jacob's Compare Essays]
2723 words (7.8 pages)
- The crime problem in the United States has historically been misstated and exaggerated by bureaucrats and politicians. The intentions behind these overstatements vary within each context but a common thread emerges upon closer examination. As in any capitalist society, money and material possession are the primary motivation that fuels society and people. It could be argued that FBI director Louis Freeh made his comments to the National Press Club in 1994 out of genuine concern for the American people, but realistically the statement was made in an effort to gather support and increase funding for law enforcement.... [tags: Politicians and Fraud]
1310 words (3.7 pages)
- West Virginia, My Home Where is home. Home is West Virginia, where spring flowers grow, summer nights are cool and calm, and fall leaves change colors as they blow across the ground. The three things I love most about West Virginia is the beautiful seasons, the recreational activities, and the fact that all my family live here. West Virginia is a recreational state, filled with beautiful seasons and strong family values. The number one reason I love West Virginia is because all my family lives here.... [tags: Personal Narrative Writing]
403 words (1.2 pages)
- Humans and Nature: The Sad Truth about the Relationship between Humans and Earth
- Abraham Lincoln and the American Civil War
- Mammalian Preimplantation Embyo
- The Advanced Materials Revolution
- Sir Isaac Newton: Brilliant Mathematician and Scientist
- Language Development in Individuals with Down Syndrome