Upon reading the novel “Major Barbara” by Bernard Shaw I came by this quote “Well you see, my dear boy, when you are organizing civilization you have to make up your mind whether trouble and anxiety are good things or not” . Major Barbra was an idealist who worked in the salvation army; she believed that everyone can be saved by religion and that by praying she could solve world problems like hunger. However her father Mr. Undershaft, who owned an arms manufacturing factory, believes that “there are two things necessary to salvation … money and gunpowder”. In consideration of this book, I came across this issue “is it better to have dreams that are not going to be fulfilled or to be extremely realistic that it takes away your h...
... middle of paper ...
...iduals may have dreams and visions for the future they have to maintain a balance of being idealistic and realistic in order for those dreams to come true. Also I have learned that societies, very much like science, require rules and limitations that shape the structure, this will aid in the function of society. I believe that through more reading and understanding of these two aspects of the IB diploma I will have a much clearer understanding of my surroundings.
http://classiclit.about.com/od/basicsliteratureintro/a/aa_literaturequ.htm Accessed on 4th of January.
http://www.todayinsci.com/QuotationsCategories/S_Cat/ScienceAndSociety-Quotations.htm Accessed on the 4th of January.
Book: Major Barbara, Author: Bernard Shaw published in 2008.
http://today.ucla.edu/portal/ut/capitalism-will-help-us-adapt-167383.aspx Accessed on 7th January.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Getting a science education in the 21st century can be very beneficial to children of all ages. Science is what makes up the world and the only way you would be able to know that would be by getting a real education in the studies of science. There are many reasons in why getting an education in science can be important and three of them are that it makes you smarter, it increases your awareness of diseases going around in the world, and getting a proper education in science can inspire kids to be scientists themselves.... [tags: Science Education]
680 words (1.9 pages)
- Andragogy popularised by Malcolm Knowles in the 1980’s is the concept that he described as the “the art and science of helping adults learn” (Knowles, 1980), he helped the theory of learning to focus on the learners experience, whilst failing to analyse the nature of that experience (Jarvis, 2010). Knowles theories differentiated between adult and child learning and explored the idea that andragogy was different to pedagogy in five main ways. The adult learner needs to be more responsible for the learning and that it should be self-directed.... [tags: Learning, Educational psychology, Adult education]
1427 words (4.1 pages)
- 3) Applying Application The study of anthropology aids the overall understanding and comprehension of humans as a species from the dawn of our existence to the modern era. The four anthropology sub fields are: cultural, archeological, biological, and linguistic. All four fields offer insight to the unique perspectives of the foundation and evolution of humans and their surroundings. However, it is the other dimension of Anthropology that is monumental in identifying real world problems and creating resolutions for the purpose of helping individuals or a community as a whole - Applied Anthropology.... [tags: Anthropology, Cultural anthropology, Ethnography]
819 words (2.3 pages)
- I am applying to the MS degree in computer science. My passion in the field of computer science dates back to the days when my father bought me my first computer while I was in 5th grade. From then on it was no looking back. I scored very high in computer science during my pre-university schooling that got me admission to one of Karnataka’s most reputed colleges. I continued my superior academic performance with a distinction in every semester. My decision to apply for a graduate education is based on my goal to work in the industry or academia and through this be able to contribute to society.... [tags: statement of purpose]
699 words (2 pages)
- Education is an infinite learning process that plays a vital role in modern society. Even now, without a higher education one cannot even get a simple occupation such as a sales clerk, carpenter, or custodian. From writing checks, filing taxes, driving a car, to budgeting groceries, all involve the pre- knowledge and basics of reading, writing, and calculating. Higher education is very important to the success of a person’s career goal. To avail all benefits and acquire a proficient education, one has to take the learning process as a solemn one.... [tags: Education, High school, Higher education, Student]
1200 words (3.4 pages)
- ... Science is incorporated in the school curricula from class 1 in Pakistan. Throughout the essential classes, it is combined with different subjects. At this stage, it is a mix of Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Earth Science. Something like 12% of the aggregate time is allotted to science subjects at his level. At the center level, 13-15% of the educational time is allotted to the educating of science. The primary substance of science at this stage is existing things, matter, vitality, the earth and the universe .... [tags: human advancement, scientists, researches]
3342 words (9.5 pages)
- Introduction The 21st century is changing society’s very foundations, and as a result, education has had to change, both in the way it is taught and the way it is learnt, in order to meet the constantly changing, ever increasing demand that society has placed upon its citizens (Friedman, 2005). -One of the ways education is changing, is due to the need for teachers to focus on teaching 21st century skills in order to enable their students to develop the ability to build upon and expand their learning.... [tags: Education, Educational psychology, Teacher]
1092 words (3.1 pages)
- Pharma which is derived from the word ‘drug’ in Modern Greek, which is also a part of pharmacology is a branch of medicine and biology that is concerned with the study of drug action. A drug can be broadly defined as a man-made, endogenous or natural substance. Pharmacy is the techniques and science of preparing and dispensing the drugs studied, and created by pharmacologists. It connects chemical science with health studies to ensure effective, but safe use of pharmaceutical drugs. Drugs and medication play a vital role in maintaining and protecting the health of society, and individuals.... [tags: Pharmacy, Pharmacology, Medicine]
1024 words (2.9 pages)
- South Park as Parody of Society South Park began airing in 1997. The commercials that preceded it gave the impression of it being another stupid cartoon; however, when I began watching, I realized important issues were being covered through the repeated behaviors and actions of its characters, through the influences these actions could have on the viewers, through the reinforcement and rejections of certain stereotypes, through the long-term effects that could result from watching the program, and through its reflection of social reality.... [tags: Exploratory Essays Research Papers]
1391 words (4 pages)
- Media Literacy is an ability to recognize, interpret, and analyze media messages, to determine the motivation of those responsible for messages, and to assess the impact of messages on individuals and society (Teaching Media Literacy). Media Literacy can pass on the message, whether is on hard news or soft news. Hard news is News that deals with serious topics or events, such as political issues, or breaking news while soft News does not deal with serious topics or events, they are more friendly, more entertainment.... [tags: Sociology, Political philosophy, News, Mass media]
850 words (2.4 pages)