Understanding the benefits of volunteering is a vital part in truly gaining from the experience. I believe that many people begin a volunteer position with their own notions of how they may positively effect a situation; but can’t hold an interest for long, thus dropping the job. Many places are constantly looking for volunteers for this reason. It’s not that the job itself is bad or that it is too demanding, it generally is because the original volunteers cannot retain an interest in their job. I have personally volunteered and seen this happen many times, and it is why I think that having a deeper understanding of a volunteer position is key. If every volunteer approaches their job knowing that it may not always be exciting, but that what they are doing can genuinely help someone in need will change the aspects that many people find to be negative about volunteering. A volunteer can provide a great service and make tasks easier for everyone involved; if they are aware...
... middle of paper ...
...e student to expand their interests and gain experience in fields of work related to their studies. Furthermore, it can help recent graduates to lighten the burden of student loan repayment. Volunteering is a wonderful gateway to help give back to the community, and to provide a service to those in need. There is much to be learned from volunteering, and there are always positions available seeking the help of those who are willing to give their time.
“Benefits of Student Participation in Community Service”. Umich.edu. n.d. 20 April 14. Web.
“Benefits of Volunteerism in College”. Scholarships.com. n.d. 21 April 14. Web.
Goldberg, Eleanor. “How You Can Pay Off Your Student Loans By Doing Good For The World.” Huffingtonpost.com. 21 Ferbruary 14. 20 April 14. Web.
“Scholarships for Volunteering and Community Service”. Finaid.org. n.d. 19 April 14. Web.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” ― Barack Obama It all started when I was in high-school. I volunteered at Helping Hands, Meals on Wheels, and Habitat for Humanity. These volunteering experiences opened my eyes to the needs of my community and the many opportunities for community service. After high-school, I started volunteering with a variety of organizations.... [tags: Contribution to My Community]
418 words (1.2 pages)
- Volunteering Specific Purpose: To convince the audience why it is good to volunteer. Thesis: Volunteering, The good it does for others, the community, and themselves. Introduction: I: Have you ever wondered how to mend all the things that are wrong in the world and make them right. Have you ever felt that things need to be changed. The truth is that ordinary people just like you and me are doing that. They are doing things like helping other people out to cleaning up the environment. Overall in our country, more than 56% of our population, men and women, young and old, are giving of themselves to help create a better world.... [tags: Volunteer, Volunteering, Giving, Volunteerism]
756 words (2.2 pages)
- Volunteering Have you ever wondered how to mend all the things that are wrong in the world and make them right. Have you ever felt that things need to be changed. The truth is that ordinary people just like you and me are doing that. They are doing things like helping other people out to cleaning up the environment. Overall in our country, more than 56% of our population, men and women, young and old, are giving of themselves to help create a better world. The amazing thing is, the people that volunteer to help are making a lot of differences.... [tags: Volunteer, Volunteering, Giving, Volunteerism]
1337 words (3.8 pages)
- Volunteering has been committed for years, no matter the social statue, people have attributed time to impact others. Volunteerism is when a person uses their own time or talents for the greater good in their community, “Today, nearly one in four Americans, an estimated 64.3 million people, have served as volunteers.” (Rosenburg) The internet has strongly help contribute to these numbers with advertising, allowing people to find opportunities in their community. In times of great despair, we need volunteers.... [tags: Physician, Medicine, Volunteering, Volunteer]
1015 words (2.9 pages)
- "This country will not be a good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a good place for all of us to live in." - Theodore Roosevelt As Secretary of the Debate Club of my high school, I was assigned the job of picking a community service project for the Club to participate in. Our school was having a “service day” and different classes and clubs were picking various projects around the community to do on this day. Some groups were going to play with kids at Safe Place, while others were serving food at the Soup Kitchen, and still others were volunteering to pick up trash around neighborhoods.... [tags: Community Service Essays]
786 words (2.2 pages)
- Volunteering for a Food Drive "I'm hungry. Let's get something to eat before we go." It was around ten o'clock on a Saturday morning. Normally my parents might find me in bed or playing on the computer at this time, but I was dressed and grasping the doorknob in our kitchen on this particular morning. I felt a slight wave of hunger flow through my body, so I suggested to my mother that we have a light mid-morning snack to tide us over before lunch. I searched through a cupboard and found some crackers to take with us.... [tags: Contribution to My Community Service]
1277 words (3.6 pages)
- During my last year of high school, I was looking for something productive to do. I didn’t know many people because I had just moved to town and everything was new to me. Searching for opportunities to get involved and make new friends I decided it would be a good idea to make an appointment with my student counselor and discuss what was available for me to do. While speaking with my high school counselor, she asked if I had an interest in performing community service. She then explained the advantages of community service, but I wondered to myself, “what can volunteering teach me and why would I not be paid for doing work?”.... [tags: Community Service Essays]
737 words (2.1 pages)
- ... Personal Interview). Jay Dutcher, an Alpena High Senior, tells us that volunteering has taught me a lot, especially that hard work and giving time is more valuable than making money (Dutcher, Jay. Personal Interview). This is true especially because in our community there are many aspects of volunteering that we can do without making money, where we can work hard and show our true character as young adults. People who volunteer show acts of unselfishness everyday and willingness to provide a sense of companionship to make someone feel better, who may just not have it as well as you do.... [tags: alpina high, sports]
1525 words (4.4 pages)
- I can understand the reasoning and importance behind volunteering. It’s a valuable experience for everyone. Doing 12 hours wasn’t as horrible as doing the required amount of community service I did for the clubs I was in. Even then, since I had time, I would do more. Some of it was not noted since it didn’t feel right. I prefer to do things with reasoning from myself and my own heart. Doing the community service was my own choice and something I don’t need to be rewarded or given credit for choosing to do so.... [tags: Education, Time, Teacher, Help me]
708 words (2 pages)
- Should High School Students be required to do Community Service. Communities are places where people whom share similar characteristics, live together. People generally live in communities as a tendency to socialize with other people and satisfy needs such as food and shelter. The magnitude of needs within a small group is quenched within a family or extending to a nearby neighbor. Many people in a community have more needs and to solve those needs there are specific departments such as a police department that serve peoples’ best interests.... [tags: Service, Volunteering]
631 words (1.8 pages)