Have you ever wondered how to mend all the things that are wrong in the world and make them right? Have you ever felt that things need to be changed? The truth is that ordinary people just like you and me are doing that. They are doing things like helping other people out to cleaning up the environment. Overall in our country, more than 56% of our population, men and women, young and old, are giving of themselves to help create a better world.
The amazing thing is, the people that volunteer to help are making a lot of differences. Our society has benefited from the generosity of volunteers of all ages. More than one and a half million non-profit organizations and charities benefiting as a result. The estimated economic value on the volunteering sector is in the area of billions of dollars annually. It has always been, a very important aspect of our society.
Still some people move away from the thought of volunteering at all. They think that it is beneath them, they find it demeaning. Think giving up your valuable time to help someone out. "I don’t get paid I don’t work", they say. My time is precious, I barely have enough time for me and my family, I have other things to do. Unbelievably, some say the reason they have never volunteered is because that no one has ever even asked them! If that is holding you back, then consider yourself being asked.
The fact is volunteering itself is far from a selfless, unpaid and thankless job. Volunteering is an important contributor to our society. It is also a great opportunity to learn different skills, especially young people, and they will become a part of who you are. Your future employers will thank you for it, as will any college or university that you decide to apply too. It...
... middle of paper ...
...far outweigh the time and effort involved. You will increase your social skills and awareness, gain self-confidence and discover new strengths and talents you never thought you had. You will be preparing yourself for the workforce by developing skills and gaining invaluable work experience.
Volunteering should be for everyone. You should make it your business to approach volunteer organizations offering placements programs. You will be welcomed with open arms, no matter what your talents and experiences are. Apart from mending some of the many broken things in this world, you will be doing yourself and your community an unending favor.
Sources used in this speech and related information.
Volunteering Works http://www.volunteer.ca/volworks/about.htm
The Giving Forum http://www.givingforum.org/news/n-philfacts.html
Volunteer Match http://www.volunteermatch.org/virtual/
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Volunteering Specific Purpose: To convince the audience why it is good to volunteer. Thesis: Volunteering, The good it does for others, the community, and themselves. Introduction: I: Have you ever wondered how to mend all the things that are wrong in the world and make them right. Have you ever felt that things need to be changed. The truth is that ordinary people just like you and me are doing that. They are doing things like helping other people out to cleaning up the environment. Overall in our country, more than 56% of our population, men and women, young and old, are giving of themselves to help create a better world.... [tags: Volunteer, Volunteering, Giving, Volunteerism]
756 words (2.2 pages)
- A common misconception about volunteering is that it only helps the cause. Often times that aspect is the only part that is highlighted when the topic of donating time comes up. There is a different side of volunteering though. Many volunteers donate their time to help better the community they live in and the people that live in it. When they choose to do this they not only help others but they are also helping better themselves. Volunteering benefits a person by building connections with peers, improving family life, expanding career skills, overcoming self doubt, having lasting life impressions, and creating new opportunities.... [tags: helping the cause and myself, personal reflection]
1533 words (4.4 pages)
- ... Personal Interview). Jay Dutcher, an Alpena High Senior, tells us that volunteering has taught me a lot, especially that hard work and giving time is more valuable than making money (Dutcher, Jay. Personal Interview). This is true especially because in our community there are many aspects of volunteering that we can do without making money, where we can work hard and show our true character as young adults. People who volunteer show acts of unselfishness everyday and willingness to provide a sense of companionship to make someone feel better, who may just not have it as well as you do.... [tags: alpina high, sports]
1525 words (4.4 pages)
- “Volunteers are not paid; not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless.” - Sherry Anderson (Volunteering Quotes: Finest Quotes). On average, when people think about community service, they assume that volunteering is just ‘hours we need to be able to graduate’ and that is it. Community service is more than just hours; community service is based on the acts performed by someone with the purpose of helping or bringing benefits to his or her community. People frequently compare community service as a punishment since it is often offered to small-time offenders as an alternative to fines or jail time.... [tags: Contribution to My Community Service]
1793 words (5.1 pages)
- Volunteering enables an individual to make a positive impact on his or her community, while empowering the individual to better his or her life. This summer, I had the opportunity to volunteer at many diverse locations. From the hospital to the local library, I truly value my experience and treasure everything it has thought me. Volunteering lets us experience and learn things that we otherwise would not have learned; volunteering opens doors for us that we may not have been able to open before.... [tags: Contribution to My Community Service]
950 words (2.7 pages)
- Documenting a patient’s vitals while volunteering at C&S Medical Clinic, I hear a yell for 911. Peeking around the corner, I see a man shaking and unresponsive. Unable to talk, his only communication is the wagging of his finger. As his wife explains they cannot pay for an ambulance, the EMT barges in ready to carry Octavio away. Still refusing a ride to the hospital, emergency services decides to accompany him to his car, following him to the ER. After realizing the need for the wheelchair, I search room to room and closet to closet, unexpectedly finding it in the staff lounge.... [tags: Medicine, Physician, Health care, Neurology]
837 words (2.4 pages)
- A wise man name H. Jackson Brown Jr. once said “remember that the people that are the happiest are not those getting more, but those giving more.” Such immortal words could not have been more accurate in describing the fulfillment that is obtained from helping others, especially through volunteering. Volunteering/ community service, is the best way to give a helping hand to improve our community. The last couple years there are two main different types of volunteering that I have participated in, the first, and the one that I have spent the most time on, is volunteering during the summers at the Westland Area Public Library, and the other, and the most recent one is being an assistant/helper... [tags: English language, High school, Better]
1040 words (3 pages)
- Should High School Students be required to do Community Service. Communities are places where people whom share similar characteristics, live together. People generally live in communities as a tendency to socialize with other people and satisfy needs such as food and shelter. The magnitude of needs within a small group is quenched within a family or extending to a nearby neighbor. Many people in a community have more needs and to solve those needs there are specific departments such as a police department that serve peoples’ best interests.... [tags: Service, Volunteering]
631 words (1.8 pages)
- As Henry the 8th said to one of his wives, "I won't keep you long". Good evening, members and guests. The average American high school student is in school 7 hours a day, from 8AM to 3PM and is asleep 9 hours a day, from 10PM to 7AM. Over the years, I have noticed that San Mateo County high school students are not your average American high school students. Most of us are at school from sunrise to sunset, club meeting here, track meet there, "mom. I'll be home for dinner by six!" That's 10 hours a day at school.... [tags: Contribution to My Community Service]
979 words (2.8 pages)
- Over the years I have been very involved in my community and school. Being a part of something helps to define who you are as a person and the principles and values you hold as important. A personal experience that helps to show my talents and skills can be illustrated by my trip to Italy last April with the MHS Language Department. Over the past ten years, I have had the opportunity to travel extensively around the United States and Canada with my family so traveling abroad to Italy seemed like a natural adventure.... [tags: traveling to Italy]
454 words (1.3 pages)