I think that anything that is seen as violent may have an impact on behavior. I’ve seen little kids playing violent video games in game stores, plenty of times, without their parents’ permission. I’ve seen older brothers letting their younger brothers play violent video games while their parents weren’t home. But, the problem is, that some of these parents do not pay attention when the same kids display bad behavior. They see their kids reenact or mimic the violence and ignore it, as though it just may go away.
In my childhood, I was allowed to play violent video games. My Mom, a single parent, worked hard and was not home much. She did not spend a lot of time with us or paid attention to what we were doing. Instead, her routine was to come home from work, ask how we were doing or did we need help with homework, cook dinner, clean-up and then get ready for bed. The fact that I was safe at home was enough for her. So, she didn’t ...
... middle of paper ...
...sculinity ideology moderate the relationship between exposure to violent video games and aggression?" The Journal of Men's Studies 20.1 (2012): 47+. Psychology Collection. Web. 26 Nov. 2013.
Swaine, Jon. "Sandy Hook Massacre: Adam Lanza Was 'obsessed with Mass Murders'" The Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group, 25 Nov. 2013. Web. 26 Nov. 2013.
"Violent video games may increase aggression in some but not others, says new research." Psychology & Psychiatry Journal 26 June 2010: 240. Psychology Collection. Web. 26 Nov. 2013.
Wagner, Cynthia G. "Aggression and violent media: playing video games may lead to more violence than watching TV." The Futurist July-Aug. 2004: 16. Psychology Collection. Web. 26 Nov. 2013.
Wendling, Patrice. "Violent video games alter brain functioning in imaging study." Clinical Psychiatry News Jan. 2007: 39. Psychology Collection. Web. 26 Nov. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Ever since the video game was invented many years ago, violent, bloody games have existed also. Some include killing zombies, shooting people, and fighting that ends in either someone dying or being hurt. The outcome remains the same, and a select few continue to live out these games throughout their daily life. These games can sometimes cause people to become angry. Although, some video games may have a negative effect on some people’s lives, other reasons such as their home life can be a factor in these people’s behavior.... [tags: child's behavior, violent games,video games]
1363 words (3.9 pages)
- Should Violent Video Games Be Banned. In 2008, the computer and video game industry has made $1.7 billion in revenue. Of this, 16% was made through the sale of violent video games (FYI: Video Game Statistics by the Entertainment Software Association | Critical Gaming Project). Many parents are concerned about these violent games because of how they can affect their children. Many think that these games are dangerous and should be banned. Others believe that the sale of these games should go unregulated.... [tags: minors, violent, video games, ratings]
1266 words (3.6 pages)
- An increase in violent outbreaks may be linked to violent video games. There has been an increasing amount of crime in the age groups involved violent video games in some way. In turn, watching and/or participating in violent video games can increase violent behavior. Violent outbreaks are more common with age groups that are actively participating in violent video games, or have an active role within the community of violent video games. An article states "Sales of video games have more than quadrupled from 1995-2008, while the arrest rate for juvenile murders fell 71.9% and the arrest rate for all juvenile violent crimes declined 49.3% in this same period" (Video Games ProCon.org).... [tags: violent, video games, behavior]
702 words (2 pages)
- Does playing video games cause aggressive behavior. Because children and teenagers spend an increased amount of time each day playing video games, they are shaping their values, attitudes, and behaviors. For people who do act out aggressively, the results can be deadly. Monthly, the news is filled with blood-chilling accounts of crimes committed due to a copy-cat obsession with violent video games. This paper will present a brief review of literature and reveal the difficulties in answering this question with certainty.... [tags: Media, Violent Video Games]
1347 words (3.8 pages)
- Bloodshed and aggression is everywhere; in magazines, in the shops, on the TV, on websites like YouTube as well as in video games. Yet, why is it that those video games are assumed to be the biggest media source responsible for the violent outbursts of different individuals. Is this really the case. Every eight out of ten homes in the United Kingdom own a existing generation games console and video games have become a extraordinary source of education when helping kids to learn, such websites like educationcity.com or the VTech Learning System that teach kids literacy, numeracy and the sciences through their games.... [tags: video games, violent games, call of duty]
1167 words (3.3 pages)
- Dylan Klebold, Eric Harris, Adam Lanza, Steven Phillip Kazmierczak, and Seung-Hui Cho all have a few things in common, they are all school shooters that have killed and injured a combined total of 149 human beings and are or were believed to be avid violent video game players, who also committed suicide immediately after carrying out their attacks. To the public, school shooters seem to share a direct connection to playing violent video games and that playing them leads to violent behavior.... [tags: behaviors, video games, media, violent]
1762 words (5 pages)
- Games are cool and nice and all but there are some video games that are considered ultra violent video games due to the real world type of violence it shows. These games are graphic and do have violence in it, but it isn’t enough to conquer or influence a teen. In other cases, it may conquer or influence a kid because kids have fresh minds, and learn everything in their way. It’s been experimented to see if games do influence but until present day, yet, there’s no proof or evidence. Violent video games may have an affect on children depending on their age.... [tags: video games, violent games, grand theft auto]
999 words (2.9 pages)
- Violent Video Games and Aggressive Behavior Statistics have shown that the violence among young people is increasing every year. Many people blame musicians and other types of artists who portray negative actions as something positive. Others might blame the parents for not watching over their children. But many people fail to bring up technology as an issue. With the new DVD that shows sex and violence or computers that gives kids access to unauthorized sites, technology is something that many parents need to look out for.... [tags: Violent Video Games Youth Violence]
1571 words (4.5 pages)
- Do violent video games increase aggression in the people who play them. If so then video games could be responsible for much of the bad news we hear on television. Are video games responsible for school shootings. Do producers of video games need to tone down the violence. What will happen if video games become more and more violent and realistic. On the other hand, are video games to blame at all for the increase of violence in kids. When violence in video games started to increase, people started noticing an increase in the aggression of their children as well.... [tags: Violent Video Games 2014]
3044 words (8.7 pages)
- A young, blonde woman stands with her fists raised. She shifts her weight back and forth, staying in constant motion. Her jaw is set and her blue eyes dangerous. She faces her opponent with no fear. Her fellow combatant is a skilled warrior and a member of a Shirai Ryu clan. He’s spent years mastering his own special style of martial arts. The woman observes him carefully. He’s muscular and, no doubt, fast. She cannot see most of his face, as a gold and black mask obscures it, but she can see his eyes.... [tags: Video Games Don't Cause Children to be Violent]
1413 words (4 pages)