Nevertheless, I can still understand why people would attempt to associate video games and violence because of certain crimes that are committed with seemingly no rhyme or reason. In these cases, it is only natural that we desire to find a culprit, in order to make sense of a senseless crime. One of these crimes occurred on April 20, 1999, when two seniors, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 13 people, injured 24 others and committed suicide. This terrible tragedy known as the Columbine High School massacre is sadly only one of several violent acts that are considered to be tied to video games since Harris and Klebold played violent video games.
The game, Doom was the video game scapegoat that was used to try and understand this senseless massacre since Doom was one of the violent video games that Harris and Klebold played extensively. Unfortunately, Doom was known for extensive exposure of graphic violence, which generated controversy from a wide range of crimes, such as school shootings and other acts of violent behavior. So, in terms of relation to the Columbine High School massacre it was found out that Harris and Klebold were avid play...
... middle of paper ...
... you’ve had trouble with the law then all you have to do is find someone with a clean background, who is of legal age and is willing to purchase a firearm for you.
With all that being said, I believe that video games were one of the last things that drove Lanza to commit this terrible tragedy because it seems like his twisted mentality towards society eventually drove him to madness, causing him not only to murder 20 children and 6 adults but kill his mother and commit suicide as well.
In conclusion, we can also be quick to jump to conclusions and put the blame on a scapegoat instead of trying to find a true root cause such as gun control, bullying and mental illnesses. However, with the ever-rising popularity and recent releases of video games identical to Alien Isolation and The Evil Within, video games will continue to be the victim whenever violence is involved.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Ever since the video game was invented many years ago, violent, bloody games have existed also. Some include killing zombies, shooting people, and fighting that ends in either someone dying or being hurt. The outcome remains the same, and a select few continue to live out these games throughout their daily life. These games can sometimes cause people to become angry. Although, some video games may have a negative effect on some people’s lives, other reasons such as their home life can be a factor in these people’s behavior.... [tags: child's behavior, violent games,video games]
1363 words (3.9 pages)
- Does playing video games cause aggressive behavior. Because children and teenagers spend an increased amount of time each day playing video games, they are shaping their values, attitudes, and behaviors. For people who do act out aggressively, the results can be deadly. Monthly, the news is filled with blood-chilling accounts of crimes committed due to a copy-cat obsession with violent video games. This paper will present a brief review of literature and reveal the difficulties in answering this question with certainty.... [tags: Media, Violent Video Games]
1347 words (3.8 pages)
- “Do violent video games cause people to perform violent acts?” The age old question that has been asked by concerned parents and scientists everywhere for as long as anyone can remember, and this question in turn has created a controversial debate over whether or not violent video games actually causes grotesque acts of violence or if it actually helps to discourage violent behavior. John Von Radwitz writes an article about why violence in video games is causing trouble in today 's society more than ever and warns people to take action sooner rather than later.... [tags: Violence, Crime, Video game controversy]
1377 words (3.9 pages)
- Will playing too many violent video games cause adolescents to commit crime or murder to another. In January 2006, there are two teenagers, both 18, who had raced a luxury car at high speeds on Toronto street. At the end of the race, a 46 year olds taxi driver was killed when one of the luxury cars struck his taxi. Police investigated the accident found out two adolescents who copy of the video game Need for Speed (Bonnell, Canadian Press NewsWire). In addition, there are a number of deadly school shootings in recent years and some of the crimes are caused by people who spend many times to play the violent video games.... [tags: Massively multiplayer online game, Video game]
1415 words (4 pages)
- Have you ever wondered if violent video games can cause aggression in children. Thousands of children all over the world engage in violent video games for a large amount of time during their day. According to ProCon.org 60% of middle school boys and 40% of middle school girls who played at least one Mature-rated (M-rated) game hit or beat up someone, compared with 39% of boys and 14% of girls who did not play M-rated games. I will be using naturalistic and case study research methods to determine if violent video games cause aggression in children.... [tags: Video game, Game, Case study, Seventh grade]
1389 words (4 pages)
- Do Violent Video Games Cause Violent Behaviour in Adolescents. Video games are extremely popular all over the world. The rise of technology has created video games with remarkably realistic graphics, sound effects, and scenarios. This technological development in video games has also resulted in the portrayal of realistic violence and aggression. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) claimed that the United States increased in violent crimes approximately 4% in 2015 (FBI Releases). The violent crime rate has increased, therefore there must be an answer.... [tags: Violence, Video game controversy, Video game]
1091 words (3.1 pages)
- When video games are mentioned, most people think of teenagers. In a like manner, people tend to look at violent video games as teenagers’ main source of violence. They seem to believe in the likelihood of a kid bringing Call of Duty gameplay into real life. Since video games and the people who play them vary in many different factors, it is extremely difficult to arrive at a simple yes or no answer as to whether violent video games make people violent. However, when considering that the question is if video games lead to violent people, I believe the answer is no.... [tags: Video game, Violence, Video game controversy]
1599 words (4.6 pages)
- (Add a quote to this paragraph)Several people believe that there is a connection between violent video games and increased levels of aggressive behavior, while others believe that video games don’t cause violence at all, but I believe that video games don’t have a direct correlation to violence because there has been no study that has yet to determine whether or not violent video games cause real world violence. However, several crimes have tried to show that video games were the main cause of these violent acts such as the Columbine High School massacre, the shooting of Marie Smothers and the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting, because whether it’s bullying, increased violent behavior, o... [tags: Columbine High School massacre]
906 words (2.6 pages)
- Several people believe that there is a connection between violent video games and increased levels of aggressive behavior, while others believe that video games don’t cause violence at all, but I believe that video games don’t have a direct correlation to violence because “no study has examined whether or not violent video games cause real world violence.” (Patrick Markey) However, several crimes have tried to show that video games were the main cause of these violent acts such as the Columbine High School massacre, the shooting of Marie Smothers and the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting.... [tags: Columbine High School massacre]
2397 words (6.8 pages)
- Do violent video games increase aggression in the people who play them. If so then video games could be responsible for much of the bad news we hear on television. Are video games responsible for school shootings. Do producers of video games need to tone down the violence. What will happen if video games become more and more violent and realistic. On the other hand, are video games to blame at all for the increase of violence in kids. When violence in video games started to increase, people started noticing an increase in the aggression of their children as well.... [tags: Violent Video Games 2014]
3044 words (8.7 pages)
- Humanism As A Latin Term Coined By Hans Baron
- Gothic Architecture : Architecture And Architecture
- Reducing The Costs Of Health Care While Improving Population Health
- Description Of A Research On An Electric Field
- Summary Of The Story ' Sunday On The Park ' By Bel Kaufman
- Analysis Of The Book ' Dammit '