There exist various reasons behind the violence that is occurring in the United States and in other countries as well. Robert F. Drinan (2005), a professor at Georgetown University law school, states in his article about violence and American society, that the main reason behind juvenile-related crimes in the United States is because of the availability of handguns. Drinan asserts that “more than 20,000 persons are killed in the United States each year by small weapons.” Handguns are the source of violence anywhere in the world because, “a significant number of the guns used in civil wars, in violence against women and by groups of criminals can be traced to the United States” (Drinan, 2005). Moreover, homicide rates in the United States are much higher than they are in other countries. But handguns can also prove to be effective for society because they serve as “public safety” (Jonathan Cowan, 2002), and therefore they cannot be the main reason behind all these crimes that are occurring. Without handguns, people will feel defenceless and therefore...
... middle of paper ...
...sion which might lead to homicidal thoughts. In an incident that occurred in Littleton High School, 2 students who played violent video games murdered 13 people and wounded 23 others before killing themselves. This proves to us that violent video games pose a threat to society, and to the gamers themselves.
“Violence is definitely an intrinsic part of video games”(Steven Schwartz, 1989). Violent video games are continuously being produced and sold day by day and a solution to stop this violence is most crucial. Governments must and should enforce laws and legislation to prohibit violent video games coming in and out to and from the market. Furthermore, parents should give more concern to the lives of their children rather than allowing them to do what they want. More and more people are dying daily due to violence and someone has to put an end to this.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The project will be undertaken to investigate the impact of violent video games being a contributor to anti-social behavior. This research will be driven by five objectives namely: to establish how video games have contributed to anti-social behavior among young people; to investigate the incidence of aggressive behavior in young people and children who engage in video games; to establish the role parents in shaping children’s behavior; to determine other factors apart from video games that contribute to anti-social behavior in young people and children, and to identify countermeasures that can be put in place so that video games cannot affect young people negatively.... [tags: Aggression, Violence, Video game controversy]
1043 words (3 pages)
- (Add a quote to this paragraph)Several people believe that there is a connection between violent video games and increased levels of aggressive behavior, while others believe that video games don’t cause violence at all, but I believe that video games don’t have a direct correlation to violence because there has been no study that has yet to determine whether or not violent video games cause real world violence. However, several crimes have tried to show that video games were the main cause of these violent acts such as the Columbine High School massacre, the shooting of Marie Smothers and the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting, because whether it’s bullying, increased violent behavior, o... [tags: Columbine High School massacre]
906 words (2.6 pages)
- Video games are extremely popular all over the world, that millions of people across the Globe share similar interests in FPS (first person shooter), racing, 3D, or strategy games. Video games come in all different forms and purposes, whether it be from violence, action, educational purposes, military use, or family fun. Video Gaming is a mega-million industry, that allows social interaction among gamers (common term for people whom game) to one another, that is through a online-connection of entertainment.... [tags: psychological analysis]
763 words (2.2 pages)
- Several people believe that there is a connection between violent video games and increased levels of aggressive behavior, while others believe that video games don’t cause violence at all, but I believe that video games don’t have a direct correlation to violence because “no study has examined whether or not violent video games cause real world violence.” (Patrick Markey) However, several crimes have tried to show that video games were the main cause of these violent acts such as the Columbine High School massacre, the shooting of Marie Smothers and the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting.... [tags: Columbine High School massacre]
2397 words (6.8 pages)
- Social Media and Video Games: They’re Not Good for Us Social media and video games are common things that are commonly known in a lot of people’s life. There is overwhelming evidence that the media affects viewers by encouraging violent behavior through desensitization, cultivating fearful and pessimistic attitudes, and diminishes their creative capacity. Video games had a major effect on our society and makes it a violet world. Violence is something that has become more a part of our everyday lives.... [tags: Violence, Sociology, Advertising]
1909 words (5.5 pages)
- As we evolve into a more advanced species, so does our technology, and along with our overly advanced technology, comes video game. Video game has been around for decades and making people’s lives a lot more entertaining and less dull. However, everything is fun and games until somebody gets hurt, and that’s exactly what has happened over the years to video game. It’s commonly known nowadays that video game, to the majority, is the cause of violence. Whether if this is true or not, video game has definitely been used as a scapegoat for many mass shootings and violent outbreaks in general.... [tags: Video game, Violence, Video game controversy]
1027 words (2.9 pages)
- ... Even after all these studies many still want to blame the video games for the child’s aggressive behavior, since it is the easiest to blame and the easiest to try and fix the problem. Another defense to why we should not blame video games as the child’s problem is different types of video games. Not every video game that is mature cause youth to want to commit criminal behavior. Youth who play contact games like football do not want to go out and tackle and try to give people concussions. With different types of violent games they cannot truly be linked to aggressive behavior in youth and children.... [tags: Teenagers, Shootings]
1373 words (3.9 pages)
- ... Since Extra Life, Child’s Play, and the Humble Bundle all have video games in mind, they’re focused on incorporating video games into how they raise money to donate to causes. With Extra Life, the idea is that a team registers to play any sort of game, whether it be digital like an actual video game, physical like a sport, or tabletop like a board game, for 24 hours on an online video stream. In these 24 hours, the team gets friends, family, or bystanders to donate a set amount of money hourly until the end of the event.... [tags: charity, money, children]
715 words (2 pages)
- Aggression can be an outcome of numerous different factors, yet many still believe that VVGs alone are to account for growing aggression. However, if this was the case, would there not be a spike in the violent crimes committed by those who, might, play video games. Not only do the amount of homicides executed after a release of a popular video game consistently decrease (Stein), but as several researchers pointed out "90% of young males play video games. Finding that a young man who committed a violent crime also played a popular video game .... [tags: Aggression, Violence, Nonviolent video game]
1428 words (4.1 pages)
- At this day in age we bask in the luxury of having easy access to advanced technology at our disposal. From the World Wide Web, to cell phones, music, movies and video games the human race has thought of any and everything to keep us entertained. Over the years studies have shown reasonable concerns regarding the long-term effects of video games. These games can desensitize gamers to real life violence, which is usually seen in the younger crowd. The studies especially hit on the games containing player-on-player violence.... [tags: Anti Violent Video Games]
1537 words (4.4 pages)