Exposing someone to violent video games will train the person for doing violent actions that are shown in violent games. Grossman is a writer of two books on video game violence and thinks that video game is a major cause for violent teen behavior. On 1997 in a Paducah, Kentucky high school shoot out a 14 year boy shot eight people and five where headshots. This was believed to be a effect of the teen playing first person shooter games. The FBI say that trained law enforcement officers only land one out of five shots and this boy had no past experience shooting except for in the game. “Exposing children and adolescents (or "youth") to violent visual media increases the likelihood that they will engage in physical aggression against another person,” said expert Craig A. Anderson. Exposure to violent video games can cause a child to learn the...
... middle of paper ...
"Violent video games create unhealthy emotions." Washington Times [Washington, DC] 1 May 2013: C05. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 2 Apr. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Should Violent Video Games Be Banned. In 2008, the computer and video game industry has made $1.7 billion in revenue. Of this, 16% was made through the sale of violent video games (FYI: Video Game Statistics by the Entertainment Software Association | Critical Gaming Project). Many parents are concerned about these violent games because of how they can affect their children. Many think that these games are dangerous and should be banned. Others believe that the sale of these games should go unregulated.... [tags: minors, violent, video games, ratings]
1266 words (3.6 pages)
- Games are cool and nice and all but there are some video games that are considered ultra violent video games due to the real world type of violence it shows. These games are graphic and do have violence in it, but it isn’t enough to conquer or influence a teen. In other cases, it may conquer or influence a kid because kids have fresh minds, and learn everything in their way. It’s been experimented to see if games do influence but until present day, yet, there’s no proof or evidence. Violent video games may have an affect on children depending on their age.... [tags: video games, violent games, grand theft auto]
999 words (2.9 pages)
- When video games are mentioned, most people think of teenagers. In a like manner, people tend to look at violent video games as teenagers’ main source of violence. They seem to believe in the likelihood of a kid bringing Call of Duty gameplay into real life. Since video games and the people who play them vary in many different factors, it is extremely difficult to arrive at a simple yes or no answer as to whether violent video games make people violent. However, when considering that the question is if video games lead to violent people, I believe the answer is no.... [tags: Video game, Violence, Video game controversy]
1599 words (4.6 pages)
- Although violent video games are thought to encourage real world violence, they actually help to prevent it. I am focusing on violent video games and how they affect juveniles because I feel that this issue needs to be looked at in the criminal justice community. It is an unnecessary distraction to blame the actions of a disturbed youth on a form of entertainment that has been used by millions of people without incident. A review article published in The Psychiatric Quarterly found that many studies which claim to indicate an increase in aggression due to video games are, in fact, biased.... [tags: Video Games Violence]
2419 words (6.9 pages)
- How Do Violent Video Games Really Affect the Youth. The connection people put in their minds with violent video games and horrendous crimes shouldn’t really be all that viable, since studies have shown that violent video games actually relieve stress and make the person less likely to be violent. This problem is more eminent in the older crowd because they see their kids playing games with blood and gore, then they quickly blame any sort of wrong behavior on the game. If only they knew that by playing those games they release stress that’s build up inside them.... [tags: Nonviolent video game, Game]
759 words (2.2 pages)
- Video games are virtual worlds where a person is allowed to live in the life of somebody else. In some cases you are able to play as a wealthy, retired criminal and are free to do whatever your heart desires. Whether it’s shooting everyone in sight, or planning huge bank robberies with a crew composed of a bunch of friends, you can do it all. In other instances, you are placed on a team and are armed to fight other real people in an online, modern warfare environment. Although it may sound like fun, video games like these are on the “first to blame” list whenever kids do anything violent.... [tags: call of duty,grand theft auto,violent video games]
1139 words (3.3 pages)
- Since violent video games, like Mortal Kombat, were created, adolescents who play these games become more aggressive than before. To me, playing violent video games is unsafe for these people since they have the negative influence on these people. I believe that researching on that topic would help us get the sense of what problems to avoid. I wish to know what are the possible effects of violent video games on adolescents’ aggression. The independent variable is violent video games, and the dependent variable is adolescents’ aggression.... [tags: Violence ]
1680 words (4.8 pages)
- Violent video games Video games can change people’s mood, and have aggressive behavior. The violence on video games are not good for children and people overall because it’s not healthy for our minds. People need to stop playing violent games because it can change the way they talk, and start using bad language. Why video games are bad. In the article, Alex Levin talks about video games can be good and not because they can have a negative effect on them and for people it can cause aggression and bad behavior.... [tags: psychology, influence in behavior research]
872 words (2.5 pages)
- Violent video games are not scarce. In fact, Strauss Zelnick, chairman and CEO of Take-Two Interactive, reported the company selling over 34 million copies of Grand Theft Auto V worldwide, and noted that the game has had "the most successful launch in the history of entertainment," (2014). The game, known for its extreme amounts of violence and criminal activity, is what people are demanding. It is what people want to play. Many people believe the overwhelming presence of violence in video games is causing the youth to become more aggressive and violent in nature.... [tags: Violence, Video game controversy, Crime]
1398 words (4 pages)
- In the more recent times it seems as if America’s youth is becoming more violent. Concern for those aspects in our society which influence violent acts has become an issue since the tragedy at Columbine High School on April 20, 1999. Many feel one aspect of today’s society affecting our nation’s youth in a negative manner is video games. Is this form of entertainment really a factor in teen violence. I think not. We should blame the parents for teen violence, not video games. John Holts article, “Kinds of Discipline” states that the youth watch very carefully what people around them are doing and want to do the same.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1133 words (3.2 pages)
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
- Exegesis: Ancient Christian Gospels
- Does the Public Have Unrealistic Expectations for the Presidency?
- Voices of Women in India: Vedic Times and Now
- Right and Wrong in The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde and A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennesse Williams
- The Neurosequential Model of Therapeutics: An Intervention for Early Childhood Neglect