As a result of video games becoming more violent, children are being more and more exposed to this violence. Authors of “Update: Video Games and Violence” say that violent video games should not be available for children. The violence in the video games could cause them to hurt or assault others (Update). The article claims that “Children cannot purchase harmful substances such as alcohol and tobacco” they note – “violent video games should be similarly kept out of their possession” (Update). Another online article named “Video Games and Violence” suggests that viol...
... middle of paper ...
Cheryl Olson, ScD, et al., "Factors Correlated with Violent Video Game Use by Adolescent Boys and Girls,” Journal of Adolescent Health, Jan. 2007
Lawrence Kutner, PhD, and Cheryl K. Olsen, ScD, Grand Theft Childhood: The Surprising Truth about Violent Video Games and What Parents Can Do, 2008
Sohn, Emily. "Video Game Violence." Science News for Kids. Jan. 24 2007: n.p. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 04 Feb. 2014.
"Update: Video Games and Violence." Issues & Controversies On File: n. pag. Issues & Controversies. Facts On File News Services, 6 July 2007. Web. 4 Feb. 2014.
"Video Games and Violence." Issues & Controversies On File: n. pag. Issues & Controversies. Facts On File News Services, 13 Feb. 2004. Web. 4 Feb. 2014.
"Violent Video Games and Young People." Harvard Mental Health Letter. 22 Sep. 2010: n.p. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 04 Feb. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- People have always been looking for a reason why horrible things happen. The media is quick to blame video games as the target and cause of many shootings that have occurred, ever since Columbine and Quake. People have been blaming video games for violence for years now, ever since violent video games have been made. News reports blame video games more and more for each shooting, telling the public how this person played video games for x amount of hours a day, and that video games caused him or her to shoot people, and how video games encourage and reward violence.... [tags: video games, violence]
1839 words (5.3 pages)
- Violence is everywhere, in magazines in the shops, on the TV, on websites like YouTube as well as in video games. Yet, why is it that those video games are said to be the biggest media source responsible for the violent outbursts of different individuals. Is this really the case. Every eight out of ten homes in the United Kingdom own a current generation games console and video games have become a fantastic source of education when helping kids to learn, such websites like educationcity.com or the VTech Learning System that teach kids literacy, numeracy and the sciences through their games.... [tags: Video Games, Violence, Media Source]
1047 words (3 pages)
- Although violent video games are thought to encourage real world violence, they actually help to prevent it. I am focusing on violent video games and how they affect juveniles because I feel that this issue needs to be looked at in the criminal justice community. It is an unnecessary distraction to blame the actions of a disturbed youth on a form of entertainment that has been used by millions of people without incident. A review article published in The Psychiatric Quarterly found that many studies which claim to indicate an increase in aggression due to video games are, in fact, biased.... [tags: Video Games Violence]
2419 words (6.9 pages)
- Imagine a calm setting at work one day and you get a phone call. It’s your child’s elementary school principal and he has awful news. An intruder has broken into your child’s school and he or she has performed what is commonly known as a school shooting. Things become hectic as you rush to the school to see if your child is okay. Luckily, he comes out of the school safely and you wrap him in your arms while other families are devastated by the results of the school shooting. The shooter’s motive was a result of playing violent video games.... [tags: Shooting, Violence, Profanity, Video Games]
1558 words (4.5 pages)
- Violence or aggression refers “to any behaviour that demonstrates a malicious intent to harm one another”. Numerous people are being killed and murdered because of the continuous violence happening all over the world, particularly in the United States. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), violence, in general, is among the leading causes of death, and that each year; over 1.6 million people worldwide lose their lives due to it. WHO states that about 8.2% of the world’s population are being murdered because of violence in the United States.... [tags: violence, video games, argumentative, persuasive]
1181 words (3.4 pages)
- Video Games And Violence Video games have gotten a lot of negative attention in the media as a scapegoat for what is wrong with children. Are video games really as bad as they are made out to be. Alice Park, writer of “Little By Little, Violent Video Games Make Us More Aggressive” published on time.com, believes that video games are making people more aggressive. But within her article there are many flaws with her arguments; it makes a poor attempt to blame video games for events like the columbine shooting, racism, and hostile behavior.... [tags: Violence, Aggression, Violent crime, Video game]
1399 words (4 pages)
- Our nation has changed over the years. There is no question about that. The generation that my grandfather grew up in during the 1930’s and 1940’s has often been called “The Greatest Generation” (Brokaw). Why is my generation not talked about for our inventions and advances in technology. Maybe that the downfall of our generation has been the media and the influence it has on the public. There is no doubt that the media can spin a story into a shocking and scary account produced solely on the intent to sell.... [tags: Violence, Video Games]
1449 words (4.1 pages)
- Over 155 Million Americans play video games. That is an average of two gamers in each game-playing U.S. household. And 4 out of 5 U.S. households own a device used to play video games. The total consumers spent on video games in 2014 was $22.41 Billion. 14 of the top 20 sold video games in 2014 contain some form of violence ("ESA-Essential-Facts-2015.pdf."). Blood and gore. Intense violence. Strong sexual content. Use of drugs. These are just a few of the phrases that the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) uses to describe the content of several video games.... [tags: Violence, Video game controversy, Video game]
1193 words (3.4 pages)
- Over the past years, video games have been a way to escape reality for some people. Video games vary from fantasy, romance, and role playing games to violent games. However, vicious video games have been blamed for school shootings, growths in bullying, and violence concerning women. Various people argue that these games numb players to violence, recompense players for imitating violence, and educate children that violence is a suitable way to resolve conflicts. Several studies display that video games with violent content are related to more hostile behavior in teens.... [tags: Video game, Video game controversy, Violence]
1128 words (3.2 pages)
- Video Games and Violence Throughout the century, video games have got a lot of attention from people of all ages and cultures. A study done by (Baran in 2012), shows that video gamer age range from the age of eight to forties. As video games started to progress more so did its fan base, products, as well as genre. Companies such as Capcom, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, and much more have paved the way to how video games are today. I remember my first Gameboy, you had to put two double A batteries to play it.... [tags: Video game, Video game controversy]
1144 words (3.3 pages)