Essay PreviewMore ↓
Finding out who someone really is can be a very difficult thing to do. Knowing who some one is inside and out takes time and dedication. I learned that there are a few key factors when getting to know who some one really is. Character determination of a friend can be based on three things, honesty, trust, conflicts, and how they are resolved . The book a separate peace by John Knowles deals with all of these issues in the case of friendship. You can use these three factors to see how good of a friend a person can be, and determine there true character.
All through the fifteen years I’ve lived this life there has always been one redundant term told over and over. Honesty is key, and if your talking about a friendship that ‘s true. If you don’t have honesty you don’t have anything to base your relationship on. Being honest to a good friend should be subconscious, and if it’s not then I wouldn’t consider them a good friend. You shouldn’t have to struggle with a friend to be honest. In a Separate peace Finny is always honest and speaks his mind. Gene on the other hand comes across honest, but you can never really tell. He should not have told Finny that he jostled the limb on purpose if he wasn’t even sure himself. In the movie Dead Poet Society each and every group member was honest to each other, and that’s why they were the best of friends. Also, they learned to think honestly by themselves from their teacher through ways of poetry. Much like how Finny learned honesty through sportsmanship. Without knowing if Gene is honest or not, Finny and the members of the Dead Poet Society would have made much better friends. These friends where honest, and therefore could trust each other. Trust each other to resolve conflicts and become stronger friends.
Conflicts are another way to determine someones true character. When a conflict occurs you can see what they do and how they react to the situation. Like when someone is cornered, and in danger of losing their life. Those animal instincts are a great way to see who some one really is. In a separate peace Gene deals with his conflicts by not talking about them and pushing his feeling down till they are gone.
How to Cite this Page
"friendship in a separate peace by John Knowles." 123HelpMe.com. 23 Aug 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- friendship in a separate peace by John Knowles Finding out who someone really is can be a very difficult thing to do. Knowing who some one is inside and out takes time and dedication. I learned that there are a few key factors when getting to know who some one really is. Character determination of a friend can be based on three things, honesty, trust, conflicts, and how they are resolved . The book a separate peace by John Knowles deals with all of these issues in the case of friendship. You can use these three factors to see how good of a friend a person can be, and determine there true character.... [tags: essays papers]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- In life, as well in books there can be a lot of friendship going on; in some cases there can be bad friendships and there can be good friendships. In A Separate Peace Gene, in my opinion, Gene is not a good friend. In Catcher in the Rye Holden, in my opinion, is also not a good friend. I think that Holden and Gene are not good friends to other people and do not really know how to keep a friendship, because even though they both have friends, they both still discern their friends in bad ways or think bad things about them; because the person or friend has done something bad towards them or because they feel insecure towards the person or the situation that they are in.... [tags: A Separate Peace Essays]
1609 words (4.6 pages)
- Friendship and Tragedy in John Knowles' A Separate Peace Some friendships last forever and others do not but in the novel, A Separate Peace (1959) by John Knowles, displays a different kind of friendship. The reader throughout this novel was very entertained. This novel takes place at the Devon Preparatory School in the years of 1942-1943. This story begins when Gene Forrester comes back to the Devon School fifteen years after his graduation to relive a tragic story. He walks up to a tree and the story then begins in the summer of 1942.... [tags: Separate Peace Essays]
843 words (2.4 pages)
- Although a friendship often implies many similarities, Gene and Finny also appear very different in many aspects of life. Their friendship gives the impression that at some times it was unstable, but overall it was bound to be everlasting. This companionship is a primary example of any real-life friendship of the common person. It is possible to portray many differences within a friendship, but still hold on to whatever is the quintessence of the cohesion between the parties involved. The similarities in a friendship are the elements that keep them alive and well.... [tags: essays research papers]
389 words (1.1 pages)
- Friendship and Hatred in A Seperate Peace The line between friendship and hatred can sometimes be very unclear. Where exactly does one cross over this line. Could it possibly be when one discovers envy within himself for his friend, or is it when he begins to wish he is somewhere other then where he is. In the novel A Separate Peace by John Knowles, the friendship line between Finny and Gene is extremely unclear. What would cause ones best friend to jounce a tree limb in hopes the other would be harmed.... [tags: Separate Peace Essays]
661 words (1.9 pages)
- Coming of age is a stage where a young person transitions from being a child and becomes an adult by facing a part of adulthood that destroys child-like beliefs while developing new beliefs. In A Separate Peace by John Knowles, Gene starts off as an innocent boy unsure of his feelings towards his friend Finny but as the book progresses Gene soon comes to realize he’s living under Finny’s shadow with a least amount of sense of knowing who he is as a person. This leads him to spite his best friend, Phineas.... [tags: friendship, envy, hatred]
1035 words (3 pages)
- Gaining Insight in A Separate Peace A person often gains new insight as a result of a specific incident that he or she experiences. This point is clearly demonstrated in the novel A Separate Peace by John Knowles. Gene learns the profound meaning of friendship when he pushes Phineas out of the tree. When he learns that Phineas has this unconditional love for him, he becomes very guilty for what he has done.... [tags: Separate Peace Essays]
416 words (1.2 pages)
- A Separate Peace - Friendship We have all experienced friendship in our lives; some of these bonds were lasting and others were not. A Separate Peace is a book that deals with the friendship of high school boys. These boys attend an all-boy’s school called Devon School. It is said that: "Devon is sometimes considered the most beautiful school in New England." "Devon was both scholarly and very athletic." Devon is where Gene Forrester, Phineas (Finny) and Elwin (Leper) Lepellier attend school. Author John Knowles sets the story during World War II. This time period makes the boys have to think about which branch of the military they want to enlist in.... [tags: A Separate Peace Essays]
1006 words (2.9 pages)
- Denial of Truth in John Knowles' "A Separate Peace" The novel A Separate Peace focuses mainly around a 17 year old named Gene Forrester and his psychological development. The story is set in a boys boarding school in USA during World War II. There are four main boys in the novel and they all undergo major character changes through the story. One of them goes crazy, and the others experience severe attitude changes. Gene is caught right in the center of these changes. He is very close with all of the other three boys, and thus all of the changes affect him very much.... [tags: John Knowles Separate Peace Essays]
2063 words (5.9 pages)
- Analysis of A Separate Peace by John Knowles Telgen states John Knowles was born on 16 September 1926, in Fairmont, West Virginia. At the age of fifteen, Knowles attended New Hampshire's prestigious Phillips Exeter Academy. The Devon school, where most of the actions of A Separate Peace take place, is based on Phillips Exeter. After graduating from Exeter, Knowles entered Yale University for the 1944 fall term before going into the U.S. Army Air Force. After being discharged from service, he returned to Yale and continued his studies.... [tags: Knowles Separate Peace Analysis]
1499 words (4.3 pages)
- Characterization of The Duke of Ferrara in My Last Duchess by Robert Browning
- Illusion in The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Daddy Good Country People and Shiloh
- Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray
- The Typical Detective Genre Portrayed in Sherlock Holmes' Literature
- Analysis of Tony Kytes, the Arch Deceiver by Thomas Hardy
Changes in character can also occur in the process of conflicts. Physical and mental wars can do this easily. Gene fought a mental war with himself over the tree incident, and weather or not he did it on purpose. He fought for so long that he gave up and pushed the issue away. He was changed after that. He didn’t even know where his friendship stood with Finny. He became dishonest about the accident with other people, and untrustworthy worthy to Finny. The physical war that Leper was in probably changed him in the ways of honesty and how he resolved conflicts cause he was crazy. Also, after being in a war trust because you would have to question the integrity of the people that were killing each other. Those are the two most important factors when you have to determine someone as a friend.
Trust is a very important concept when dealing with friends. If you doubt trust in one of your friends then I would doubt the friendship. To find trust you must go with your instincts. The denotation of trust is a person whom someone knows, likes and t
trust. So to be a friend you have to trust a friend. To have trust you must first have the important factor of honesty. You can’t have one without the other. To be trusted you must be honest. Trust between Gene and Finny can be questionable. Before the accident They had trust in each other, but not so much after. Finny could not trust Gene because he thought that he was lieing about his fault, and Gene couldn’t trust Finny because he didn’t trust him. After all this dishonesty and lack of trust the friendship went down hill.
Trust can make or break a friendship, and like Gene and Finny it mostly breaks it. Firm reliance on integrity can be a tough thing to live up to when your honesty is being questioned, and that is why relationships fail. It was because of trust that the members of the Dead Poet Society were such good friends. So you can see how trust is a balance much like resolving conflicts and honesty can be.
Trust, Honesty and Resolving conflicts are the main branches when you try to determine someone as a friend. Use These three things to work on, help, or start a friendship. That way you can see how good of a friend someone can be. To help other relationships you can use them to see how good of a friend you are, and what you can do to better the situation. In a separate peace Gene and Finny had all the main aspects of a friendship, and it was a strong one. This changed when Finny lost trust in Gene, and thought he was being dishonest about making him fall out of the tree. After that Gene lost trust in Finny for not believing him, and there whole friendship started to plummet. Though the change doesn’t always have to be negative. It can change just as much for good as it can bad, like in the Dead Poet Society , and the great relationship they all had. So you can see how the issues of trust, honesty and how you deal with them can determine a true friend.