Essay PreviewMore ↓
Public speaking is one of the most under rated skills learned in school, yet is one of the most valuable. The way you communicate shows a lot about you, and can influence other’s opinions of you. In every profession communicatiis important. Good communication skills, no matter what you plan to do in life, will help you out greatly and improve your chances against a harsh job market. I am majoring in Business Administration and Law, and communication is one of the biggest parts of business and law, yet communication is hardly ever taught in business classes for my major. I think that a communications class like public speaking, for example, should be not just for a college class, but taught in high school and middle school as well. I believe several classes would allow anyone to become an expert speaking. The only way to fully learn public speaking is to get up in front of people and talk to them. One can not learn public speaking from a book.
One’s career, school life, and even socializing are affected by communication. If you do not know how to communicate, you probably do not have many friends. Communication has been used since the days of the cavemen. When the cavemen learned to communicate they greatly increased their hunting potential. When they learned to communicate on the hunt and before the hunt, they caught much more game then when they were just randomly running after the animals with spears. In school, if teachers and students could not communicate well, how would anything ever get done? In a business, communication is the most important ingredient. Working at a corporation at a higher level, you deal with hundreds of important emails, meetings, phone calls, and other forms of communicating with your co-workers.
I like communicating with other people, and much of my life consists of me with my friends. Communicating with people is a good way to become social and comfortable around people. Public speaking is my least favorite part of communicating but I feel if I go into business, it will be one of the most important things to learn. If I have to give a big speech, it could be the first time several upper management bosses really hear what I have to say, and if I give a poor speech and look frightened, it could make them think I am incompetent and cannot communicate.
How to Cite this Page
"Why Public Speaking is Important." 123HelpMe.com. 20 Jul 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- 1. Critical thinking skills are important to have as a speaker because they allow people to decide what to believe or what to do. Public speaking exercises eight critical thinking skills. Critical thinking allows someone to focus which will help them define a problem, set goals, and select pieces of information. Another skill is information gathering that allows one to formulate questions and collect data. Remembering skills enable an individual to store information in his/her long-term memory and retrieve it.... [tags: Public Speaking]
1344 words (3.8 pages)
- Martin Luther King gave his “I have a dream speech” which inspired a nation and broke down racial barriers. Without his leadership and his inspirational speech it may have taken an extra 10 years to bring equality to all races. Hilter’s many speeches were delivered with extreme passion and caused arguably one of the most horrific genocides of all time. Throughout history it has been public speaking that has united people and caused great change, both positive and negative. Public speaking is important, both in history and in life.... [tags: Public Speaking, Skill, Preparation, Visual Aids]
1004 words (2.9 pages)
- Persuasion is a powerful tool used by people use every. An effective persuasive speaker has the ability to change people’s minds about specific subjects. However, difficulty can arise when the listeners are opposed to the speaker’s idea from the start. Persuasion is a challenge for any speaker, and it is crucial that they are equipped with the proper tools. After reading Chapter 15 of The Art of Public Speaking, I feel that the challenge of persuasive speaking, the target audience, and speeches that gain immediate action are the areas I need to focus on as I prepare to deliver a persuasive speech.... [tags: Public Speaking]
723 words (2.1 pages)
- Communication Apprehension Theory With a Work Task The paper will aim to discuss how motivation and reward can be effective with a work task. These will be determined by someone’s position and where they stand with the task that needs to be accomplished. Rewards can increase someone’s motivation to complete a task and that can be beneficial for them. Examining rewards given for effectively completing a task can increase a person’s motivation to work their absolute hardest on a task in the workplace.... [tags: communication apprehensions, speaking]
2644 words (7.6 pages)
- Introduction: Communicating properly through public speaking is an essential part of working as a Regional and Urban Town Planner. Throughout Town Planning, public speaking plays an important role in communicating with not only clientele and fellow planners but also the wider community in various congregations. However, there are various tactics that need to be implemented to be able to not only successfully convey the correct information, but to deliver it in a clear and concise manner that people at all education levels can understand.... [tags: communication, delibering information]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- Now that I have delivered my first speech, I feel fortunate to only be held accountable for what I know. Yes, the introduction and conclusion of a speech are very important, however, the body of the speech needs to be given adequate consideration during the preparation of a speech. Once the introduction is completed I believe the audience subconsciously demands that the body of the speech is well organized and informative. This is important to ensure that the audience stays engaged in the presentation.... [tags: Public Speaking]
962 words (2.7 pages)
- Preparing and delivering a successful debate requires a group of people to work together effectively as a team. Team processes and preparation and public speaking skills are both equally important key factors for success in debating as team processes involved in preparation for debate, such as group personality composition that creates cohesion and synergy and group norms that enhance the group’s ability to work together, equip the team to work effectively therefore improving performance however if team members are unable to deliver an argument to an audience with confidence due to communication apprehension, the speaker’s credibility will be lessened therefore the message will be less persu... [tags: Public Speaking]
1478 words (4.2 pages)
- Speech: Take a Public Speaking Class Have you ever thought of taking a public speaking class in school. If you haven?t I highly suggest that you do because it will increase your ability to communicate with other human beings and just make it easier. Today, I will be talking about a couple of abilities that you can greatly improve by taking a simple introductory course in public speaking. I will be talking about the importance of a good attention getter, a clear presentation of your points, and eye contact with the audience.... [tags: Papers]
397 words (1.1 pages)
- COMMUNICATION ANXIETY is very common in the world of PUBLIC SPEAKING mainly because of fear. Maybe the speaker is not sure how the audience will accept or feel about their message, so the in the result of this fear ends up becoming sweaty palms, scrambled thoughts, and stuttering from the speaker, and as for the audience, skeptical thoughts. The good news is that by implementing distinctive steps within fundamentals, delivery, and research, once fearful speakers can generate massive confidence and drastically reduce and even remove speaking anxiety.... [tags: communication anxiety, speaker, audience]
1066 words (3 pages)
- ... Through persuasion the objective is to create change in a belief or position or cause an action to be taken (James and Field 2013). ‘Perception and memory are malleable and susceptible to persuasion’ (Clements 2013) and can be targeted by a lawyer to bring about the desired belief through persuasion; to believe the lawyer’s version of events or to discredit the opponent. Humour can be used as a strategic tactic of persuasion, ‘an effective tool in destroying an opponent’s credibility’ (Hobbs 2007 p 124) which is often the objective in a court case.... [tags: arguments, rethoric, legal practitioner]
1051 words (3 pages)
Out of all my schooling, I have never been required, or even had an option to take a public speaking class until I came to college. I have heard friends complain about having to take the class, but I figure that the class will help out greatly in my career, especially if I go into business. I think that speech should be introduced into high schools, and even middle schools, so that by the time most children get to college, they will already be good public speakers. This will benefit everyone in the job world, and will also just make everyday conversations better if everyone could communicate well. I feel that math, an extremely stressed subject for almost all majors, is not as important to most majors as communication is. The reason to establish younger children taking public speaking is that public speaking is different than most subjects; it is not like math, where you can learn from a book, the only way to learn public speaking is by standing in front of a group of people and talking to them. Also, enhanced communication skills would increase your confidence and perhaps even drive to succeed.
Public Speaking and communication courses are often underrated by students and others for their importance to one as a student, and in the future, as a worker. The class gives you fundamental skills that not only benefit you in the real world, but benefit you even when you are just hanging out with friends. My father has always stressed how important communication and public speaking are in business. He often has to give speeches to the CEO, president, and other upper level employees to him, and if he did not speak well, he would look like an idiot in front of these people, and probably not have a job. I realize how important communication is and hope I can improve on my public speaking in this class.