Essay PreviewMore ↓
Today is Chad's first day of college and he wants to become a mechanic. He also hopes to eventually become an owner of a shop. He has always enjoyed working on cars including his own. He likes the look of street racing cars and has always wanted to go see a race or be in one but has never had the chance. For the last few years he had been working hard and saving money and adding performance parts to his car. His mom has been very sick lately but nothing has been too serious so he isn’t too worried but he still
thinks about her a lot. He is a very average student sometimes having problems when his mom gets sick but now that he’s in college he wants to do well and succeed. Later in the year he gets a phone call.
“Good evening is this Chad?”
“Yes who is this?”
“This is Dr. Jones I am your mother’s doctor.”
“Is there something wrong?”
“I’m very sorry I have to tell you this but your mom is very sick and we are not sure if she’s going to make much longer.”
“Oh my god is there anything that I can do?”
“The only thing that you can do right now is to come visit her and try to make her fell better and distract her from some of the pain.”
Chad stays silent he doesn’t know what to say.
“Are you still there?”
“Yes I need to go.”
“I am sorry sir good bye.”
He doesn’t know what to do he wants to good in school so bad and get a good job, but he needs to go see his mom.
The next day in school he dose nothing when he’s in class he cant pay attention to anything the teacher is saying all he can think about is his mom.
“Yo Chad.” Says his good friend Jeff.
“Oh sorry didn’t hear you what’s up.”
“What’s wrong with you man you’ve been acting really strange today?”
“Tell me I know something is wrong”
“No! I don’t want to talk about this right now.”
“Alright whatever I got to go to class ill talk to you later.”
“Hey Chad I'm going to class now!”
“Sorry see you later.”
The two of them walk away and Chad goes back to his dorm room to think about what he’s going do. He decides no matter how important school is to him his mom is much more important. He drives for hours to get to the hospital hi mom is at.
How to Cite this Page
"the street racer." 123HelpMe.com. 31 Mar 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... At 13, she won the MRF Indian National Go-Karting Championship (2) She also nailed the Top Novice award for National Formula 4 Auto Racing. Then she switched to bikes; running a Formula Car was just too expensive for her father, R.A. Abdullah. In addition, R.A., as a former motorcycle champion himself, always wanted his daughter to race bikes. Since then, her motorbike career is a matter of record. You can see a list of her accomplishments HERE. Advocacy for Women Racing Superbikes Alisha is a fervent promoter of women in superbike competition; both at home and abroad.... [tags: fast, motorcycle, racer, female, india]
520 words (1.5 pages)
- Street Racing The intricacies that are involved in turning a regular car into a “Street Racer” are many; and racers pour their souls into these magnificent machines. After seeing “the Fast and the Furious” many people have or wanted to become involved in street racing. They do not realize that this is a sport that takes knowledge, hard work, and nerve. Many of these racers have spent their lives under a car, learning the trade and improving upon it. As I have learned, this is not just a hobby; it is a way of life.... [tags: Racing Sport Sports Cars Essays]
1520 words (4.3 pages)
- One of the fastest growing sports in the world is racing. Racing in general can consist of many different types such as: Drag Racing, NASCAR, Indy, Motor Cross, Truck Rally. The topic of racing that I am chose was street racing. Street racing originated from drag racing on the quarter-mile strip. The concept of drag racing is when two racers in different cars would line up at a white line, and in the middle of the two cars would be a light post, called the Christmas tree for its red, yellow and green bulbs.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
2784 words (8 pages)
- For 19-year-old Jeff, weekends begin on a long strip of highway near Atlanta. rather than browsing the mall or going to the movies like others his age. Jeff joins a group of his comrades and spectators to witness a spectacular show of speed. As we pulled up to the meeting spot he looks over at me and says, “Welcome to the world of illegal street racing.” "We have a cruising area where all the cars go and just chill. If someone wants to race," says Jeff, "they just ask...most of our races are with people you know pretty well...we don't have the major race nights like they have in other areas." The other areas Jeff refers to are about as common as can be and can probably... [tags: essays research papers]
1485 words (4.2 pages)
- Street Racing To race or not to race, what will keep you safe. Racing can be safe but not always if you race illegally. There are a lot of safety items that some racers don’t even use, I mean they keep you safer but they don’t spot the buck for the equipment. They spend so much money on their cars to make them faster, yet most of them don’t spend money towards safety. I know what you’re thinking, THIS IS LUDACRIS but it is the truth and you will learn more by reading below. Safety is a very important thing when you are in an object that weighs over a ton and could do over 100mph or more.... [tags: Research Racing Safety Cars Essays]
927 words (2.6 pages)
- Art may look inseparable from human nature. We are, indeed, the only specie to feel the need to express ourselves with more that common language. First traces of painting and sculptures appeared in the middle of paleolithic and it is still a hot topic today. However, with the constant evolution of society, a brand-new type of art, still quite unknown, impresses more people all around the world. It is called street art and consists in leaving our mark in and on the street. This phenomenon should be considered as the 10th art because of its unique aspect, the better perception we have concerning it, the rise of its popularity and for its advantages nearby us and our environment.... [tags: Art, Art museum, Street art, Public space]
1577 words (4.5 pages)
- Art may look inseparable from human nature. In fact, we are the only specie to feel the need to express ourselves with more that common language. First traces of painting and sculptures appeared in the middle of Paleolithic and it is still a hot topic today. However, alongside the constant evolution of society, a brand-new type of art, still quite unknown, impresses more people all around the world; it is called street art and consists in leaving our mark in and on the street. This phenomenon should be considered as the 10th art because of its unique aspect, the better perception we have about it, the rise of its popularity and for its advantages nearby us and our environment.... [tags: Art, Art museum, Street art, Public space]
1573 words (4.5 pages)
- Journal #4: Street Art and Me Street art is visual art created in public locations, usually unsanctioned artwork executed outside of the context of traditional art venues. Other terms for this type of art can be "urban art", "guerrilla art", "independent public art", "post-graffiti", and "neo-graffiti". Common forms and media can include spray paint graffiti, stencil graffiti, wheatpaste poster art, sticker art, street installations, and sculpture. Video projection and yarn bombing have also gained some popularity near the turn of the 21st century.... [tags: Street art, Graffiti, Banksy]
816 words (2.3 pages)
- The House on Mango Street At the novel's end, Esperanza declares that she is too strong for Mango Street to keep her forever. What is the nature of her strength. How does Cisneros establish this characteristic elsewhere in the book. Esperanza feels she is too strong to live on Mango Street. She feels her life would be better if she lived somewhere else. She wants to leave Mango Street so that she can find herself. Esperanza knows that she is not like the others on Mango Street, and she wants to move to a place "with trees around it, a big yard and grass growing without a fence" (page 4).... [tags: House Mango Street]
481 words (1.4 pages)
- The House on Mango Street This book is so powerful because Sandra Cisneros gives a first-hand account of the everyday magic and misery of young Esperanza, simultaneously applying themes of her desire for escape and love for the people and bittersweet childhood of Mango Street. In many other novels of this sort, the dialog comes across as an extended complaint, a long and tiresome negative report of how down-trodden and hopeless is a given situation, and how arrogantly nonchalant are those who benefit from or cause it.... [tags: House Mango Street]
451 words (1.3 pages)
gets there he runs to her room but when he gets there she’s is sleeping so he just sits down and eventually falls asleep. He wakes up early so he waits for her to wake up.
“Good morning mom”
“Hey Chad thank you so much for coming to visit me but you should have stayed at school I don’t need you here ill be fine on my own.”
“They told me you might not make it I had to come back and be with you I couldn’t even pay attention in class I was so worried about you.”
“Well thank you for coming I already feel better now that I see you I have missed you a lot.”
“I missed you too mom, do you want me to go get us something to eat so you don’t have to eat this hospital food?”
“No that’s ok you can just go and get yourself something and don’t worry about me while your out.”
“Okay, I’ll see you in a little bit. Goodbye, I love you.”
“I love you too.”
Chad leaves to get some food and realizes that he does not have much money and really needs to get a job or something. He does not really want a full time job because then he would not be spending any time with his mom. While he is eating he over hears two guys talking about how much money they won last night. He started to listen closer.
“Man, I won like $3,000.00.”
“Yeah, me too.”
“My race was close man, but right at the end I pulled ahead.”
“Are we going again tonight?”
“Yeah, meet me at the corner of first and Maryland.”
“All right, I’ll see you around 10:00.”
He just sits there thinking. He has always wanted to do this, but he knows it is dangerous and he only has $200.00. He does not want to lose that and be completely broke. He drove back to the hospital, but he does not mention racing to hi mom who would disapprove. At about 8:00, he realizes that he needs to make a decision.
“Mom, how are you doing?”
“I think I’m going to get some dinner and find somewhere with a bed that I can sleep. You going to be okay for the night?”
“Yeah, don’t worry about me. I’ll see you in the morning. I love you.”
“Goodnight, love ya too.”
On his way there, he keeps seeing more and more cars that would be in a street race, so he knew he was going the right way. He got to the corner where they said they were meeting and there were about 10 cars. He parks a ways away waiting for them to leave for where the race was going to be. Ten minutes later they leave for the race and
they all pull onto a long, straight road down in an area where no one drives. Everyone parks and gets out of their cars and all meet up in their usual groups. Chad got out of
his car but just stood there, because he did not know anyone there. As he is looking around, he notices the guys he saw earlier walking towards him.
“Hey, you new around here?” asked Scott.
“Yeah.” responded Chad.
“What’s your name? I’m Scott and this is my friend Tony.”
“Well Chad, you here to race tonight or just going to watch?”
“I wanna race. I need to try and win some money.”
“How much you have?”
“Alright, you will be in the first race. It’s $150.00 to race. It’s you and two other guys. What kind of car you driving?”
“Yeah, it’s pretty fast, but I’ve never raced.”
“Ok, don’t worry the guys you are racing are nothing special.”
“You go get ready. I’ll talk to you later.”
“Talk to you later.”
They walk away and Chad walks towards his car and starts it up and drives it up to where the race will start. He gives his money to the guy collecting the money. His whole body is shaking, he stares down the road. He’s only been there for thirty
seconds, but he feels like he has been there for hours. A girl comes out in front of all the cars with her hands in the air. They all rev their engines and turn up their music. She drops her arm, tires squeal. Chad froze for the first second and had a bad start. He goes faster and faster, 60, 70, 80, 90 miles an hour. His body is still shaking, pushing on the gas pedal so hard. The car is still accelerating. He is now going 110 miles per hour, he is past the first two cars, there’s still one in front of him. He is slowly catching up. He wants it so bad. 120 miles per hour, he has never gone this fast. He’s shaking less, concentrating so much on winning, he needs this money. Him and the other car are side by side. The finish line is twenty feet away, all he can do is hold on and keep pushing the pedal. He pulls ahead and wins the race. They drive back to where it started and they give him the money. Scott, the man he talked to before, raced next. He had an awesome car, it looked like he had spent thousands of dollars on it. Scott won his race. Afterwards Chad and him started talking again.
“Hey Chad, what’s up?”
“Hey not much, that’s an awesome car, man.”
“Thanks, I own a shop, so I get stuff real cheap.”
“Awesome, you know anywhere I can stay for cheap around here?”
“Yeah, you can just stay at my place. I got room.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yeah, don’t worry about it. Tomorrow we can do a few cheap upgrades on your car. I want you on my team. I like how you won the race.”
“Are you serious, how much do you want?”
“I said don’t worry. I sponsor you now.”
“Thank you very much. I think you should know I’m here to take care of my mom. Do you mind if I go there in the morning to be with her?”
“Yeah, no big deal, we can work on your car in the afternoon.”
“All right. Sweet.”
“Let’s go back to my place and get some sleep.”
“Ok, I’ll follow you.”
Chad follows Scott to his house, it’s huge. Scott shows him around, tells him where he is sleeping and just tells him to get comfortable. After Scott walks out, Chad laid down and watched some television, thinking about weather he should tell his mom or just keep it to himself. Eventually he just fell asleep, exhausted from the long day.
The next morning Chad woke up to go visit his mom and Scott was still sleeping, so he just left a piece of paper with his cell phone number on it on the table.
“Hey mom, how are you doing today?”
“I’m doing really good. I got a lot of sleep. Where are you staying?”
Right when she asked that, Chad had to decide if he was going to tell her or not.
“What’s wrong? I just wanted to know where you are staying.”
“Well, it is a long story.”
“Just tell me Chad and do not lie to me.”
“Last night I went and raced for some easy money.”
“You know I don’t want you doing that.”
“I know, but it’s going to be good. I won $450.00 last night and I met a guy there who wants me on his team. He’s letting me stay at his house and he’s going to help me work on my car.”
“I really don’t want you doing that. It’s so dangerous. You could get killed.”
“Don’t worry about me mom. I’m just doing it until you are better, to get some money and help you out.”
“I don’t approve, but if you really want to, go ahead.”
“Thank you mom.”
This went on for weeks. He would visit his mom in the morning and then work on his car and race at night. His mom started feeling a lot better and went home and started getting mad at Chad for not going back to college.
“Chad, you need to go back. Stop using the excuse that you are earning money. You don’t need to stay here any mote.”
“I don’t want to argue with you right now. I’ll see you tomorrow.”
That night he went out to a big race, worth a lot of money. When it was almost over his care broke down and he lost. Scott was so mad and he could tell something was on his mind. After Chad told him about what his mom was saying, Scott told him that if he left, he had to pay for everything they had done to his car. Chad walked away and went home to try to figure out what to do. Weeks went on, his mom kicked him out. He kept getting deeper and deeper in to debt, wishing he could just leave and not have any more problems. The next day when he meets up with Scott, he decides to tell him that tonight is the last night.
“You better be joking, because if you leave, you will be paying me back or I’ll just keep your car.”
“I’m not joking. You can have my car, you can have all my money. I have to go back to school like I promised my mom.”
“Whatever. Man, you’re lucky I like you or I’d make you give me more than that car.”
“Get out of here, you’re not racing tonight. Go home. Don’t let me see you again.”
That was the last time he ever saw him. He went back to school. H and his mom were talking again and in the end he graduated the top of his class. Chad started racing legally and eventually owned his own shop where he earned the money to give to his mom to help pay the hospital bills. A few months later, she got cancer and died, but Chad was there for her through it all.