Essay PreviewMore ↓
The Masque Of Red Death.
A virus had come. It killed all that it touched. No one could survive, the red death. Nothing had ever been like it. Sharp pain dizziness and bleeding at the pores where its signs.
When prince Prospero's town was half dead he called on 'a thousand hale and light hearted friends among the knights and dames of his court." He called them into a castle. Guarded with a metal gate. They stayed there for 6 months, Eluding the 'red death." They had every thing they need there. Entertainment, food and all other things needed to survive.
It was at the end of the 5th or 6th month that he called for a masked ball or 'of the most unusual magnificence." Abstract art filled the room with beauty. The masque was held in a suite with 7 rooms. The rooms were most curios with turns at every corner and gothic windows. The colors of each room varied. The 7th chamber was all black. The only thing different about this room was that the windows did not match with every thing else. The pains where blood red, there was no light of any kind. In there stood giant ebony clock 'whose pendulum swung with a dull heavy activities clang." All activities ceased with the sound of each hour. Everything stooped as if dead. ' But when the echoes had full ceased, a light laughter at once pervaded the assembly…..';
The first 6 rooms crowed unlike the 7th, until the clock struck midnight. Everything ceased like before until the last echo of the clock sounded. Many people became aware of the masked figure. 'There arose a length from the whole company." First surprise then horror to this figure. When the eyes of Prince Prospero saw him he did not know what to do.
How to Cite this Page
"The Masque Of Red Death." 123HelpMe.com. 23 Jan 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Conflicts affect the mood of the main characters in a story, by expressing the insecurities, Death,” a couple of conflicts are exposed throughout the piece. In the story “The Masque of the Red,” a couple of conflicts are expressed throughout this piece. The conflicts man versus fate and man versus himself are the conflicts that are displayed several times within this story. From major conflicts to minor conflicts, this story clarifies the problems that Prince Prospero faces within himself.... [tags: The Masque of the Red Death]
935 words (2.7 pages)
- Edgar Allen Poe, in the short story “The Masque of the Red Death”, shows how people may try to outsmart death and surpass it, but in the end they will die since death is inevitable. He reveals this in the book by showing all the people closed up in the abbey that belongs to Prince Prospero. They are trying to escape the “Red Death” and think that they can escape the death by hiding away in the abbey. They manage to stay safe for six months but in the end they all die after the stroke of midnight during the masquerade ball Prince Prospero puts on from the Red Death itself which appears after midnight and leaves no survivors in the end.... [tags: Masque of the Red Death Essays]
1690 words (4.8 pages)
- “The Masque of the Red Death” is an extraordinary story of many elements that can grasp any reader's attention. This story targets more of the emotions and actions of the characters, creating more of a fathom. Edgar Allan Poe wrote this story from his own perspective and perhaps succeeded in getting the reader to some what relate to the characters focusing on the feelings. The point of view Poe wrote this in makes a clear understanding. The point of view Edgar wrote this in is very effective and understandable.... [tags: The Masque of the Red Death]
863 words (2.5 pages)
- Masquerade In the short story “The Masque of the Red Death” written by Edgar Allan Poe, death and color are portrayed as a narrative meaning. Edgar Allan Poe writes about death as an actual entity that lurks his way through the last masquerade of the night. In the short story “The Masque of the Red Death” there are seven colored rooms that each have their own distinct color that describe what stage of life the followers of Prince Prospero were facing. The symbolism in the rooms of the castle “The Masque of the Red Death” has a unique meaning; furthermore, the symbols used in the story is the most important part in the story.... [tags: Edgar Allan Poe, The Masque of the Red Death]
1001 words (2.9 pages)
- Madeline Kincer Mr. Thompson 1302-4200 March 12, 2015 The Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allen Poe There is an exuberating, whimsical expression that comes throughout reading “The Masque of the Red Death” by Edgar Allan Poe. The gothic imagery is personified and leaves an eerie chill down the readers’ spine. ”The Masque of the Red Death” is a short thriller about a plague terrorizing the country. The “Red Death” began by only killing the poor and weak members of society, the high class people were becoming concerned, so they attempted to hide from the Red Death.... [tags: Edgar Allan Poe, The Masque of the Red Death]
1063 words (3 pages)
- The American Author Edgar Allan Poe wrote short stories and poems in the mid-1800s until his death in 1849. Common themes in Poe 's works are death, fear, man and the natural world, versions of reality, and mortality, seen in the short stories The Masque of the Red Death and The Pit and the Pendulum, and in the poems Annabel Lee and The Bells each of these themes can have a different meaning in each story or poem. Such as in The Masque of the Red Death mortality is seen through death as more of a natural force instead of an evil one, while in Annabel Lee mortality is seen through death as more of an evil force instead of a natural one.... [tags: Edgar Allan Poe, The Masque of the Red Death]
1074 words (3.1 pages)
- Death is a part of life that cannot be avoided. Everyone who treads through the stages of life, at one point, must realize there is no victory in running away from death. There is no hiding from death or fearing it. It will catch you in the end. There is also the fact that time stands still for no one. Life ticks away like the hands on a clock. Edgar Allan Poe, an innovative and ingenious thinker, was one of the greatest masters of suspense and horror in the Gothic literature movement. In his short story, “The Masque of the Read Death”, Poe’s use of setting, theme, and characterization present a gruesome tale that is characteristically Gothic Romantic.... [tags: Edgar Allan Poe, The Masque of the Red Death]
1488 words (4.3 pages)
- Throughout the short story “The Masque of the Red Death,” Edgar Allan Poe uses vivid symbolism, structure, and reoccurring details to paint a powerful image regarding the finality and inescapable reaches of death itself. “The ‘Red Death’ has long devastated the country,” yet the Prince Prospero continues to hold extravagant parties for his fellow elite members of society. Rather than merely telling a series of events, Poe carries his readers throughout the many rooms and scenes that hold the Prince’s masquerade, up until the clock strikes midnight and the partygoers can no longer hide behind their façade, and death comes in to take those that thought themselves invincible (Poe 438-442).... [tags: Edgar Allan Poe, The Masque of the Red Death]
1932 words (5.5 pages)
- Encounters with Death in The Masque of Red Death After reading Edgar Allan Poe's "The Masque of Red Death" (317-22), the reader can only conclude that death is the theme once again in another thrilling horror tale. Other critics such as Patricia H. Wheat, view this tale as a battle between life and death (51-56). Yet, Leonard Cassuto brings an interesting theory to this tale--"According to the narrator's own account, no one survives the Red Death. The only one who(lives) is Death. The narrator must be death himself" (317-20).... [tags: Mask Masque Red Death Essays]
1317 words (3.8 pages)
- Varying Attitudes Toward Death in the Masque of the Red Death "Since the day of my birth, my death began its walk. It is walking toward me, without hurrying." Edgar Allen Poe provides us symbolically with the reaction of man to the pursuance of death that Jean Cocteau described before, in his gothic short story, "The Masque of the Red Death." Prince Prospero symbolizes the optimist who seeks to avoid death. The Masqueraders represent the pessimist-the carefree who seek to forget about death.... [tags: Mask Masque Red Death Essays]
1279 words (3.7 pages)