Essay PreviewMore ↓
The plot tells of a young boy named Phillip and an old black man named Timothy. Phillip and his mom are on a boat to the United States. Their family has always looked down on black people. Then during the night there was a rumble a Phillip fell of his bunk. A German sub-marine hit their boat. They got up put on their close and life jackets and got in the lifeboat.
Then while the life boat was being launched it tipped and everyone fell in the water. Phillip was swimming frantically for his mother but before he knew it he was knocked unconscious by something big. When he woke up he was in a life boat with a old, ugly, black-skinned man. The man said that he got knocked on the head really bad and he was happy to see that he was awake.
The sun was really hot so the black man told him to give him his close so he did. Then the man tore some wood from the boat and made a shelter with the close. Phillip said wear are w wears my mom but the man said she’s not here but she’s probably in a different life boat. Phillip was really thirsty so the man opened a hatch in the boat and took some water out of a keg. He only gave Phillip a half a cup so Phillip asked for more. The man said they must spare as much water as possible.
It was almost dark when the man said maybe some flying fish will jump in our boat for us to eat. Phillip didn’t like the idea of eating raw fish but he was hungry. The next day Phillip woke up and his eyes were blurry he hey there’s something wrong with my eyes. So the man took a wet towel and put it on his head it started to get better. Then Phillip fell back asleep and when he woke up it was dark. Phillip screamed what time is it the man said ten then Phillip its nighttime right the man laughed no its morning. Phillip screamed I’m blind the man was shocked he said here look at the sun, and he pointed Phillip to the sun Phillip said its still dark. During that night he asked what his name is the man said my name is Timothy. Phillip said do you have a last name the man said no Phillip was shocked at this then Timothy said lets get some sleep we have a long day tomorrow.
How to Cite this Page
"The Cay." 123HelpMe.com. 15 Aug 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... This twelve-year-old boy is the main character in the story, and his struggle for survival is portrayed as the main problem in the book. Phillip is “made” by the author, Taylor, into a character a Deer Creek seventh-grader, or any other American middle-schooler, can relate to. The aspect of Phillip that is the easiest to relate to is his coming-of-age. As I will explain in far more detail in the paragraph you are about to read, Phillip’s journey into a mature young man is something that many of us can connect with.... [tags: adventure, conflict, journey]
573 words (1.6 pages)
- The plot tells of a young boy named Phillip and an old black man named Timothy. Phillip and his mom are on a boat to the United States. Their family has always looked down on black people. Then during the night there was a rumble a Phillip fell of his bunk. A German sub-marine hit their boat. They got up put on their close and life jackets and got in the lifeboat. Then while the life boat was being launched it tipped and everyone fell in the water. Phillip was swimming frantically for his mother but before he knew it he was knocked unconscious by something big.... [tags: essays research papers]
1004 words (2.9 pages)
- The American Civil War is remembered as the time when America began to have economic hardships, which also marked the creation of one of the most despised aspects of modern life, the federal income tax. The federal income tax was designed to help fund the Civil War and later became an income deduction for all American citizens to help fund government operations. In the years that followed, debates raged over the constitutionality of taxing individual income and how much each individual tax charges should be.... [tags: income tax, the wealthy]
1241 words (3.5 pages)
- The Atlantis resort is a casino and water park located on Paradise Island, The Bahamas. The resort officially opened in 1998, it’s Coral and Beach towers opened as the Trump Plaza. After the Royal towers were built the name of the resort changed to Atlantis. Later the Coral and Beach towers were refurbished to match the theme of the Royal towers. A 600-suite luxury hotel was opened on March 28, 2007, called The Cove Atlantis. The Reef Atlantis, another tower with 497 rooms, opened December 19, 2007.... [tags: Travel & Leisure]
967 words (2.8 pages)
- The Waterhouse Natural History Art Prize was first launched on 25th August 2002 to commemorate the curator of the museum Fredrick George Waterhouse. The art exhibition allows artists from across Australia and around the globe to capture and embrace the elaborate and complex bio diversity within in our beautiful planet. The atmosphere within the exhibition was quite relaxed and focused solely on the artworks. The lighting was very subtle and the walls were painted in a simple coat of white. All paintings were hung at eye – level so onlookers could really focus their attention on the artwork.... [tags: Art Exhibition Analysis]
758 words (2.2 pages)
- “Conch salads, conch fritters, oh so many good things to eat. Taste the delicious conch chowder and the ‘mouth-watering’ cracked conch, mmm… now these some good Bahamian treats.” (Curry, 2009) They come in by boat, they come in by plane, they come in on wheelchairs, and some even walking in with canes. Millions of tourists from around the world, most especially Europe, The United States, and Canada find it fit to experience for themselves one of the world’s most exquisite arrangements of islands: The Bahamas.... [tags: tourist attractions, environmental issues]
1087 words (3.1 pages)
- The Life and Science of James Clerk Maxwell (1831-1879) Physicist and Mathematician “The theory of relativity would have never been possible without the mathematical equations first described by James Maxwell." -Albert Einstein GRAPH James Clerk Maxwell may not be a household name when it comes to scientists, but his contributions to the field ranks him with some of the great scientists of all time.He is mainly known for his ground breaking work in electromagnetics, spurring a field that has given rise to many of the great accomplishments of the twentieth century.His equations, which relate the effects of electricity and magnetism to one... [tags: essays research papers yyy]
2169 words (6.2 pages)
- The Emerging American Character During the 1700’s (7 There once was an Italian man by the name of Amerigo Vespucci, who sailed the seas and explored South America. And later named America after himself. And there was Bartholomew Diaz who was also a navigator of the sea, but he was from Portugal, and the first European to round the cay of good hope in 1488. Then there was another Italian explorer, he to commanded the English exploration and alter discovered the North American mainland. He was John Cabot.... [tags: essays research papers]
581 words (1.7 pages)
- Like Father, Like Son: A Deeper Look into the Bush Legacy Although all individuals are unique no matter how closely related they might be, sometimes, their similarities over shadow their differences and yield a very interesting combination of events that almost have a deja vu effect on its audience. The Bush family serves as the perfect illustration for this phenomenon. From their family history and business life, to their lives as the Presidents of the United States of America, George Herbert Walker Bush and George Walker Bush have led quite parallel lives.... [tags: George Bush Son Father Contrast Essays]
3230 words (9.2 pages)
- Like Father Like Son - George Herbert Walker Bush and George Walker Bush Although all individuals are unique no matter how closely related they might be, sometimes their similarities over shadow their differences, and yield a very interesting combination of events that almost have a deja vu effect on its audience. The Bush family serves as the perfect illustration for this phenomenon. From their family history and business life, to their life as the Presidents of the United States, Bush Senior and Junior have led quite parallel lives.... [tags: George Bush Father Son Essays]
3220 words (9.2 pages)
The next day Phillip heard a shout it was Timothy and he was yelling land. Phillip was so happy he jump up and fell out of the boat. He started screaming he felt something brush against his leg then he heard timothy shout shark! Phillip started to swim frantically. Then he heard a big splash and timothy grabbed him and put him back in the boat. When they reached land timothy grabbed the water keg and the tin with the food in it and brought them to the beach. Then they built a hut for shelter. Phillip asked timothy if they would ever get rescued then Timothy said a skipper or a plain would probably find us.
Then timothy explained what the island looked like to phillip because he was blind. Then he built a fire on the beach and in the hills by the hut. The fire buy the hut was for heat and the beach fire was to signal planes. Then Timothy took some vines and made a rope leading to the beach so phillip could get there buy himself , and he also made him a cane so he could feel his way around.
Then one day they herd an engine so they ran to the fire and lit it then in an instant the plane sounded far off again. They were running out of water so Timothy built a rain catcher. The next night it rained so timothy and Phillip went out side and embraced the rain because they loved it so much. Then they went back to the hut and the rain was dripping through the roof but it was O.K it felt good.
It was a few months later when Timothy said “There be a typhoon coming”. Timothy told Phillip that they need to do a lot of work before the typhoon came. Timothy tied the water keg to the top of a palm. Phillip gathered food because they were going to eat a lot that night. That night they ate a feast but the next day the Typhoon was going to come. Timothy tied a rope around Phillips hands and tied it to a palm and then did the same with his hands. The winds started to pick up and it started to rain cold rain then the waves started to crash against the island. A few minutes later the storm got really intense Timothy was taking the full blows from the storm to protect me and right then I couldn’t understand why my mom didn’t like black people. After about two hours it died down we had water swirling around are feet because of the waves Timothy said this is just the eye of the storm the other side could be even worse. Then the storm picked up again just then a giant wave came knocking the wind out of us. Right after another one came knocking them unconscious
When he woke up the storm was over but Timothy was still unconscious Phillip untied them as fast as possible. Then he put Timothy on the ground and he woke up and asked if he was okay Phillip said “yes” Timothy said “good” and then Passed on. Then Phillip started to cry really hard he made a grave for his friend and buried him. A few days later Phillip was found buy a passing ship and he swore one day he would navigate to this island and say hi to his friend.