Essay PreviewMore ↓
'One has achieved success who has lived well and laughed often.'; This quote seems to sum up what is meant by success. If you are able to laugh often and much then you have definitely achieved happiness. The idea of living well, though, is a very broad statement. In order, then, to define success in relation to this statement, we must first define what it means to live well. There are three levels of success, in my opinion: societal success, personal success, and academic or professional success. If someone can achieve all of these three levels of success, they are someone who has lived well.
Societal success is something that is attained by aspiring to reach your own goals and dreams in cohorts with the goals that society has for us. Societal success also has a lot to do with the natural tendencies we as humans posses. The typical societal goals that we would naturally have for ourselves would be to meet someone, fall in love and get married. We are also apt to identify having good friends with having achieved socially. We have achieved societal success, typically, if we have met the right person, lived happily, started a family and raised our children well. A part of societal success is also to learn to treat people well; to practice the 'golden rule.'; We need to fill these goals that society has for us and attempt to achieve societal success in order to fill our need to belong to society and fit in as an every day, functioning member of society. We also realize the personal goals and dreams that we set for ourselves in this pursuit of conformity. Achieving this civic success, as you might call it, is only a small part of our venture to living well.
Personal success is also a big part of living well. 'There is only one success . . . to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it.'; This quote by Christopher Morley describes what is really meant by personal success. Personal success has to do with being happy. One can only be truly happy if they are happy and secure with themselves. Personal success is about being yourself and not being afraid to do so. It is about not letting others dictate your life or make you feel that you have to change who you are.
How to Cite this Page
"The Definition of Success." 123HelpMe.com. 06 Apr 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As I continue to grow and mature into a young adult, I have begun to realize that the word “Success” can have many different meanings. Depending on the person you’re discussing it with, they may see it differently than you do. The media and society have convinced us into accepting a misleading meaning of how success should be defined. Many people who are rich and seen as successful are often very stressed out and struggling with everyday life. Although, this is something that society often decides to look past because the rich are perceived to be very content and joyful with the way they are living their lives, almost as if they have nothing to worry about because of their success.... [tags: Definition, Meaning of life, Personal life]
873 words (2.5 pages)
- Success is a universal law that has existed for all of time. In the beginning, animals achieved success by capturing or finding food and feeding their family. We still do this today; however, we are much more advanced now and success has expanded to virtually everything within our lives. In every situation, that is experienced every day, there are only three outcomes and those are success, true failure, and quitting before true failure. This idea of achieving success is one of the most commonly thought about ideas amongst all people.... [tags: Failure, Success, Causality]
1292 words (3.7 pages)
- Success can be distinguished in various ways based on an individual’s interpretation and experience. As Winston Churchill famously stated, "Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." The interpretation of success is not entirely achieving or overcoming a great feat, but it is also about the adjustments that you experience in order to reach such a stage. To obtain success, you must first understand what is crucial and significant in your life, and to seek for stability and new experiences while within the pursuit of personal growth.... [tags: Success, Mind, Spinal cord injury, Failure]
1070 words (3.1 pages)
- If you had to Google the definition of success you would be find that success is ‘the accomplishment of aim or purpose, the attainment of popularity or profit, (or) a person that achieves desired aims or attains prosperity”. To every individual success has a different meaning, however each interpretation usually has three common traits: wealth, importance and contentment. By obtaining these three things the belief that we are distinguished and have gained unlimited opportunities is formed, however in pursuit of this we often lose sight of our morals.... [tags: Success, Sacrifice, The Work, Opportunity rover]
1054 words (3 pages)
- Success is a term that’s definition varies greatly from person to person. The best way to put it, is that success is happiness and achieving the goals you set for yourself. Society chooses to view success as how much money one possesses, if one is married with kids, and how one chooses to live their life. In all reality, success is completely in your mind. Only you can decide if you are successful in life or not. Nothing anyone says can change whether you are a success or not. Just because my standard of success is riches and glory means absolutely nothing.... [tags: Meaning of life, Failure, Bill Gates, Success]
1092 words (3.1 pages)
- There has always been the age old question, “What does true success mean to you?” For many centuries, everybody has given their own definition of success. Whether it is money, happiness, love, or power, everybody has their own definition of success. Stephen Covey, a popular author, once said, “If you carefully consider what you want to be said of you in the funeral experience, you will find your definition of success.” I believe that everybody has to realize what real success means to you. Everybody has aspirations for their life, and coming to terms with those aspirations can set one up for successful life.... [tags: Meaning of life, Happiness, Definition]
900 words (2.6 pages)
- Over thousands of years people have been driven by success, but what is success. Success to me is the ability to perform at your highest level in the path in life that you take. I believe that if you are not driven to be the very best at the things you do then it is not a calling. There are plenty of opportunities in life and you should take everyone you get. Success is a word that is on a broad spectrum, there is no single definition to the word. I define what success is for me. There is no set image of success, success is also constantly changing.... [tags: Meaning of life, Shall and will, Success]
1228 words (3.5 pages)
- The true definition of success is the accomplishment of an aim or purpose. Although, many people have different perceptions of success. Success is judged by the individuals themselves. Success can be defined in many ways including: wealth, happiness, fame, etc. Success can be anything from material goods to concepts. It all depends on your concept and how you achieve your goals. You have to have persistence within yourself. Varying on your profession, you will need a certain skill level. Your definition of success can be suitable best for you, but not for others.... [tags: If You Have to Ask, Failure, Want, Need, Success]
1097 words (3.1 pages)
- The Definition of Success 'One has achieved success who has lived well and laughed often.'; This quote seems to sum up what is meant by success. If you are able to laugh often and much then you have definitely achieved happiness. The idea of living well, though, is a very broad statement. In order, then, to define success in relation to this statement, we must first define what it means to live well. There are three levels of success, in my opinion: societal success, personal success, and academic or professional success.... [tags: Definition Essays]
926 words (2.6 pages)
- What does Success mean.Well there is a lot of meanings and definitions for success,I think the Definition of Success is accomplishing a goal and to never give up and keep on trying.Self esteem is not necessary to be successful.Having initiative and motivation is more important than having self esteem.Having initiative and motivation is the two most important trait than having self esteem because self esteem will bring you down when you find out about the truth and with initiative and motivation it can help you throughout your life.... [tags: Self-esteem, Debut albums, Positive psychology]
814 words (2.3 pages)
Another important aspect of live is our academic and/or professional lives. It is something that is on going ,and it is what we most often identify the word success with. We most often identify success with being wealthy and important in the professional world. Academic success, though, is about doing one's best; it is about making the most of our potential. It is about hard work, and knowing that you worked to get where you are. It is about being happy in your career and satisfied in your accomplishments, whether they are academic or occupational. Professional success includes being happy with the choices you have made, and being proud of what you have done. It is about keeping interested in your own career, whatever it is. Academic success is about getting the grades that one wants. Succeeding academically or professionally is about knowing you sacrificed to get what you want and where you want and realizing that hard work leads to happiness. This kind of success, just as all levels of success, is about setting goals and never letting them out of sight. As Benjamin Disraeli said 'The secret of success is constancy of purpose.'; It is about knowing what you want, doing whatever it takes to get it and never giving up.
If all three levels of success can be reached then one has learned what it is to live well. Success only truly comes with being happy. Happiness and success are the accomplices of one another. You cannot have one without the other. Happiness brings success, and success brings even more happiness. Success, in the dictionary, is defined as the achievement of something desired planned or attempted. Therefore, success cannot be judged by anyone than oneself. It is a personal thing. It is the realization of goals, desires or plans made by one's self. It is not measurable and yet is something we always use to compare others or appraise someone's worth . Success, in one form or another, is something that we will always be striving for. For some people it is something they will do subconsciously, and for others it will be something they will constantly labour for. Because success is something that is different for everyone, it is best that we measure our personal success by our own sense of self worth. To have succeeded is to have lived as you wanted; ' it is to have lived well and laughed often!';