Essay PreviewMore ↓
The second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King was born on 1974 in Portland,
Maine. His name was Stephen Edwin King. After his parents serpertion as a toddler,
Stephen and his older brother, David, were raised by his mother. Stephen, David, and
their mother lived in Fort Wayne, Indiana, which was where Stephen's father's side of
family lived. They then moved to Stratford, Connecticut, that was where Stephen King
spent most of his childhood paying frequent visits to his mother's side of the family
resided in Malden, Massachusetts and Pownal, Maine. Around his 11th anniversary
Stephen's mom moved to Durham, Maine, along with Stephen and his brother, to take
care of her parents, whom were to old to take care of themselves.
Stephen's school days were spent in the Durham Grammar School. He then
attended Lisbon Falls High School, graduating in 1966. He went to college at the
University of Maine at Orono, at which, during his spophomore year, he worte a weekly
column for THE MAINE CAMPUS. During his years at college he was opposed to the
war in Vietnam, declaring it unconstitutional. After his graduation in 1970 Stephen had
aquired a Bachelor of Science in English and immediately was qualified to teach at the
high school level.
As a student Stephen worked at the Folger Library, which was on the University of
Maine at Orono's campus. While working he met a fellow employee named Tabitha
Spruce, who he married in Janurary 1971.
Stephen King's first publication was a short story he wrote and sent to a men's
magazine. This is where his first profit from writing came from, throughout the few
after his graduation he worte stories and sold them to men's magazines. All of these
stories would be later gathered into a collection known as the "Night Shift collection."
the fall of '71 King was hired as a teacher at Hampden Academy, a public high school in
Hampden, Maine. He still found time to write short stories and work on his novel on the
weekends and evenings.
King's first big break came on the spring of 1973 upon the acceptence of
Doubleday & Co. to publish Stephen King's novel Carrie. After learning from his new
editor, Bill Thompson, that a major paperback sale would make him financially secure
enough to quit teaching, Stephen moved his now growing family to southern Maine
because of his grandmother's ever growing sickness. During the writing of Salem's Lot
How to Cite this Page
"Stephen Edwin King." 123HelpMe.com. 22 Jul 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Stephen Edwin King, one of the greatest horror writers of the 20th and 21st century, was born on September 21, 1947 in Portland, Maine. Stephen was born at the Maine General Hospital. He was the second son, and only son born from his mother, of the King family. Stephen had a older brother who was adopted two years prior to Stephen’s birth. (1) (2) (5) Stephen King’s parents were only together for a short while after Stephen was born. Stephen, only being a toddler, his father, Donald Edwin King, left Stephen’s mother, Ruth Pillsbury King, leaving her to care for the family with the help of relatives.... [tags: Stephen King Biography]
1249 words (3.6 pages)
- Killer clown, pig’s blood, children killing adults, an adventurous cat and “here’s Johnny!” can all be connected to the KING of terror and horror, Stephen King. King is one of today's most popular and best selling writers. King combines thrillers, science fiction, the paranormal and detective themes into his stories. He is mainly known for his novels, which has allowed him to do different types of writings such as movie scripts, nonfiction, autobiographies, children's books, and short stories. King's works are so powerful because he uses his experience and observations from his life and (finish) Stephen Edwin King was born in Portland, Maine on September 21, 1947.... [tags: Stephen King Writer Author Biography]
1338 words (3.8 pages)
- "If you have an imagination, let it run free." - Steven King, 1963 Stephen Edwin King is one of today's most popular and best selling writers. King combines the elements of psychological thrillers, science fiction, the paranormal, and detective themes into his stories. In addition to these themes, King sticks to using great and vivid detail that is set in a realistic everyday place. Stephen King who is mainly known for his novels, has broadened his horizons to different types of writings such as movie scripts, nonfiction, autobiographies, children's books, and short stories.... [tags: psychological thrillers, science fiction, novels]
1601 words (4.6 pages)
- Stephen King is known by many as a successful author, but every author is only as good as his or her works. King has produced various types of works such as short stories, novels, novellas, screenplays, and comics. His work has been the “most important bridge between the horror genre and literary respectability from the late 1960s and 1970s up to the present time” (Hoppenstand 3). Stephen Edwin King was born September 21, 1947 in Portland, Maine. He is the second son of Donald Edwin and Nellie Ruth King.... [tags: Biography]
2354 words (6.7 pages)
- Stephen King was one most of the popular American authors in history. He was born in Portland, Marine on Sept 21, 1947. He was raised by his mother, Nellie Pillsbury, and his father, Donald King. Today, Stephen King and his wife, Tabitha King, are living in Florida. “He and Tabitha Spruce married in January of 1971. He met Tabitha in the stacks of the Fog Library at the University of Maine at Orono, where they both worked as students.” (King) He published his first horror novel while study at the University.... [tags: american authors, the stand]
1006 words (2.9 pages)
- Stephen King: The Master of Horror "The most haunted of houses is the human mind." -Patrick McGrath When you read that quote, what does it make you think. Well, it makes me think of one thing. It makes me think of all of the terrifying stories I’ve read by the master of the macabre himself, Stephen Edwin King. His mind has conjured up countless novels and short stories to do none other than to scare you out of your mind. His style and vivid detail meticulously planted in every work he does is the reason for such reactions to his horrific books.... [tags: Papers]
1700 words (4.9 pages)
- The Master Of Malice “It starts with this: put your desk in the corner, and every time you sit down there to write, remind yourself why it isn’t in the middle of the room. Life isn’t a support system for art. It’s the other way around” states Stephen King in his book On Writing (94). Stephen King is a world-renowned author for his works in horror fiction, fiction, cinema and television. He has published more than forty novels and written nine screenplays (Adams 1). Stephen King draws a great deal of his inspiration from his surroundings, his job and his life experiences.... [tags: essays research papers]
2602 words (7.4 pages)
- Stephen King Man Behind The Horror Controlling Purpose: The purpose of this paper is to, in extensive detail, give you the faithful reader an understanding of one of the world’s most prolific writers. There is a lot more to Stephen King then numerous best selling books and hit movies. He is a true genius in every sense of the word, and I rank him amongst the greatest writers of all time. I feel I can give my opinion on him so freely and bluntly because I have read every published work he was ever had, and most of them I consider to be classics.... [tags: Essays Papers]
2159 words (6.2 pages)
- Stephen Edwin King was born in Portland, Maine in 1947, the second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King. After his parents separated when Stephen was a toddler, he and his older brother, David, were raised by his mother. Parts of his childhood were spent in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where his father's family was at the time, and in Stratford, Connecticut. When Stephen was eleven, his mother brought her children back to Durham, Maine, for good. Her parents, Guy and Nellie Pillsbury, had become incapacitated with old age, and Ruth King was persuaded by her sisters to take over the physical care of the elderly couple.... [tags: biographies bio biography]
945 words (2.7 pages)
- BIOGRAPHY ON STEPHEN KING Stephen Edwin King was born in Portland, Maine, on September 21, 1947, the son of Donald and Nellie Ruth king. His father, a merchant seaman, deserted the family in about 1950. His mother took a succession of low-paying jobs to support him and his brother, David. A lonely, rather introverted child, King invented a more outgoing alter ego – Cannonball Cannon, a daredevil who “did good deeds” – and derived other vicarious thrills from listening to tales of horror on the radio, reading such spine-tingling comic books as Weird Science, Tales from the Crypt, and Tales from the Vault.... [tags: Essays Papers]
784 words (2.2 pages)
Carrie was published in the spring of 1974. During the fall of the same year King
moved his family to Boulder, Colorado. Stephen King wrote The Shining in the half of a
year they lived in Colorado. They then returned to Maine in in the summer of '75. It was
in his new house that King finished writing The Stand, which was set back in Boulder.
Stephen King eventually moved back to the area around his college so he could teach
creative writing as a professor.