Essay PreviewMore ↓
On a day-to-day basis, I never even though about any sort of STD. I see commercials for Valtrex on the television all the time and never thought anything of it. Valtrex is a medication to help suppress genital herpes. Now when watching that commercial, I understand more about it. Everything is so different now that the virus has affected me in my life.
A long time boyfriend, who is also the father of her two sons, infected my best friend. I always thought that sexually transmitted dieses only affected the people who sleep around. My best friend has never slept around and yet she is still infected with this virus. There were no lesions present at the time she was infected so she never thought this could happen to her. Genital herpes is highly contagious and is now found that can be passed even though there are no lesions present.
Genital herpes have an incubation period of two to fourteen days and symptoms remain present for up to twenty days. Women’s areas that are most effected are the labia, the clitoris, the vaginal opening, the inner vaginal walls, and the cervix. In men, the most common area is the glans or the shaft of the penis. Although it is possible to get genital herpes in or around the penis with men or women who engaged in anal intercourse, it is not very common. Basically what genital herpes are is very painful puss filled sores that become wet and even more painful. These puss filled sores then form a red ring around them. Health practitioners refer to this as “viral shedding.”
There are certain helpful hints that are given in this book to provide relief from a very discomforting pain.
1. Keeping herpes blisters clean and dry will lessen the probability of secondary infections, significantly shorten the period of viral shedding, and reduce the total time of lesion healing.
How to Cite this Page
"Genital Herpes." 123HelpMe.com. 14 Nov 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Gambling With Genital Herpes Did you know that there is no proof that condoms really reduce the risk of getting genital herpes. Many young adolescents don’t even understand what genital herpes really is or how you can get genital herpes. Young adolescents should know what the symptoms are if you get infected with a sexually transmitted disease such as genital herpes. Did you know that there is no cure for genital herpes and it is a life long disease. Treatments yet alone are way too expensive for young adolescents to afford.... [tags: Sexually Transmitted Disease STD]
1526 words (4.4 pages)
- This was extremely interesting to me because it sexually transmitted dieses have affect my life. My best friend was diagnosed with having genital herpes. Not truly understanding what it was, I helped her through it and learned slowly more about it. The section on genital herpes was even more educational for me so I can continue to help her. Genital herpes are small, red blisters that appear in the genital region. They are extremely painful and can sometimes even break open. There is no cure for genital herpes but there are many medications out there to help suppress the outbreaks.... [tags: essays research papers]
606 words (1.7 pages)
- I have infected 45 million Americans and will infect 1 million more Americans each year. Who am I. Herpes, from the ancient Greek meaning to creep or crawl, is the name of a family of viruses of which herpes simplex virus 1 and herpes simplex virus 2 (HSV-1 and HSV-2) are the most serious human pathogens. HSV-1 is normally associated with orofacial infections and encephalitis, whereas HSV-2 usually causes genital infections and can be transmitted from infected mothers to neonates. Both viruses establish latent infections in sensory neurons and, upon reactivation, cause lesions at or near point of entry into the body.... [tags: essays research papers]
1045 words (3 pages)
- Genital Herpes Facts The Sexually Transmitted Disease Genital herpes (to creep) is very common in most Americans especially adolescents. Genital herpes is transmitted through sexual contact and other physical contact with an infected person. Herpes is a viral infection caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus. Once a person is infected with the virus it stays in their body for life. Once you have contracted this virus it is easy to pass it on to someone else even if the virus is not active.... [tags: Papers]
886 words (2.5 pages)
- Herpes. Herpes, a word that all of us know, something that gets made fun of by the raunchiest of comedians, a suggestion of a loose life style, a complex virus that was only recently seen as something to be feared since the early 1970’s for a target of money for pharmaceutical companies. Yet as common to be referenced by Shakespeare in Romeo and Juliet, and is a virus that is known worldwide, and almost every one has experienced in one-way or another. According to Medline Plus, the herpes simplex virus, also known as HSV, causes the infection known as Herpes.... [tags: health, virus]
1256 words (3.6 pages)
- Herpes simplex virus infection in the neonate is a rare occurrence, but has serious consequences even with treatment of antiviral drugs (Malm, 2009). Herpes virus is transmitted from the mother to child most often through the birthing process as the neonate passes through an infected birth canal, although in utero and postnatal infections occur occasionally (Lawrence & Wald, 2009). According to many grouped studies, fifty percent of infants born vaginally to women experiencing their first infection contracted herpes virus compared to one percent of infants born vaginally to women experiencing a recurrent infection (Baker, 2005).... [tags: Medical Research]
1855 words (5.3 pages)
- Jose De La Cruz S. Garnica Bio 5 Wednesday #76 May 8, 2014 “Efficacy Results of a Trial of a Herpes Simplex Vaccine” Herpes is a widely known virus that infects the body and causing warts usually in the genital or oral regions of the body. Herpes is caused by one of the two types of virus, Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1), or herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2). There is no cure for the Herpes Simplex virus. Once the host is infected, the virus remains in the body for the entire lifespan. The virus can be suppressed with help of medication to help keep the virus dormant and reduce outbreaks of genital warts or cold sores around the mouth.... [tags: results, effectivness trial]
703 words (2 pages)
- ... Transmission HSV II is spread through sexual contact, which is considered skin-to-skin. The sexual contact includes vaginal, anal or oral sex. It is highly contagious even if the infected person is not having an outbreak where sores are present. Since the virus dies outside of the body, it is nearly impossible to contract the virus from a toilet seat or even a towel used by someone who is HSV II positive. To transmit the virus from one person to another, there does not have to be a sore present or have an active outbreak.... [tags: Human sexual behavior, Sexual intercourse]
2079 words (5.9 pages)
- Herpes Herpes is one of the common of more than 30 different sexually transmitted diseases (STD’s) in America today. Herpes is an infection that is caused by one of two closely related viruses, herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) and herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2). Both of which are very easily caught, have similar symptoms, and can occur on different parts of the body. Even though it is most common to see the virus HSV-1 appear as oral herpes and to see the virus HSV-2 appear as genital herpes.... [tags: essays research papers]
775 words (2.2 pages)
- The herpes virus is one of the most prevalent viral diseases known to man. As much as eighty percent of all people, worldwide, have herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV1), and twenty percent have herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV2). This may sound like scary statistics, but most infected people suffer only mild discomfort. The more common form, HSV1, usually causes the occasional blister-like sores on or around the mouth. These blisters are called cold sores or fever blisters and, as most sufferers know, they are annoying and mildly painful but rarely dangerous.... [tags: Health, Diseases]
1350 words (3.9 pages)
2. Taking two aspirin every three to four hours may help reduce the pain and itching. Ice packs directly on the effected area will help with the swelling as well as the pain.
3. Pouring water over the genitals or urinating in a bathtub of warm water will help with the discomfort of urinating.
4. Stress is a major component of a genital herpes outbreak. It is best to try and remain as stress free as possible to avoid another or even longer outbreak.
5. If you are prone to outbreaks, record the events that happened prior to the outbreak. You may see what it was that caused the outbreak and be able to prevent another one in the future.
I hope that someday in the near future there will be a cure for this virus, but for now there are many ways to try and prevent outbreaks. I am hoping to have my best friend read this chapter to help her better understand. We both have read booklets and pamphlets on this STD but this book helped me understand more and that is what I am hoping happens when she reads it.