Essay PreviewMore ↓
Should this business update to Windows 2000 from Windows 98 for its office PCs?
In the business world today, computers and the software applications that run on them basically control an well-organized business. Every major company is equipped with a computer, or network that connects through different branches throughout the firm. To keep up with the fastest technology that dominates the market is to be a sensible buyer. A system can be outdated in a matter of two years time. Therefore, it is necessary for the business to update to Windows 2000 from Windows 98 for its office PCs.
Windows 2000 is intended to the business world and others who are running large networks of computers. It has a lot of things going for it, but just because it has some advantages over Windows NT and Windows 98 doesn¡¦t mean everyone should try it. My purpose here is not to evaluate the software but to counsel caution before you undertake a major operating systems update. Even though Microsoft did a good job testing thousands of business applications, there are always rough spots in a transition. In fact, Microsoft has dedicated several Web pages to upgrade issues.
Once if you then decide to update, do it when you can devote time to the changeover. If you have multiple machines, make the change in stages running the old operating system during the transition.
First of all, the first thing is to determine that Windows 2000 is compatible with your machines. According to Windows 2000¡¦s description, ¡§you need, at minimum, a PC with a 133-MHz Pentium-compatible CPU, 64 megabytes of RAM and one gigabyte of disk space. It is better with a faster CPU (300 MHz or better) and several gigabytes of disk space. A bit more memory would be nice too.¡¨ Therefore, some small businesses would like to upgrade Windows 2000 but they are bound by their hardware.
Actually, we can say that Microsoft has done a good job of ensuring that most business applications will work with Windows 2000. But before you take the plunge, be sure all the programs you depend on are compatible with it. Major applications such as accounting, word processing and database software probably will be OK, but some specialized programs, games and multimedia applications may not be compatible.
How to Cite this Page
"Should This Business Update To Windows 2000 From Windows 98." 123HelpMe.com. 25 Feb 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- To MBIE, I am writing this submission because I find the purpose of work law important, so it is imperative that The Employment Relations Act 2000 (‘ERA’) enables workers to be protected. There is also economic benefits of individuals partaking in society, being productive and contributing socially and economically (Owens & Riley, 2007). Work law helps shape the work place by having devices to resolve disputes between employees and employer, and providing protection for both parties. Purpose of work law The main purpose of work law is protecting employees and employers, as well as stimulating New Zealands economy.... [tags: Employment, Law, New Zealand, Protection]
1028 words (2.9 pages)
- Ethics is the branch of philosophy that deals with the principles correlated to human behavior concerning the rightness and wrongness of specific conduct, and to the good and bad that influences and ends those actions (Ditonary.com, 2011). In other words, ethics is the choice people effect in regards to a decision they need to achieve. Without ethics directing the choice an individual makes, moral preferences of what should or should not be done becomes irrelevant. While ethical decisions are made every day there are two different regions in which these choices are made.... [tags: Business Ethics ]
1469 words (4.2 pages)
- Risk Assessment and Management Problem The term risk assessment refers to an objective evaluation of risks to which end the assumptions and uncertainties are clearly put into consideration as well as presented. On the other hand in regards to risk management it has in most cases courted difficulties in the measurement of both the quantities in which risk assessment is concerned (Muzzi, Armando, and Augusto Panà, 2000, pp. 99-103). This is because the potentiality of an anticipated loss and the probability of it occurring have proved pretty difficult to quantify.... [tags: Business Administration]
905 words (2.6 pages)
- The answers of question 1: This report is made for the CTO of a medium sized private company. The report will discuss and explain the differences between the internet and intranet. The report will also show that whether or not it would be beneficial to have an intranet for the business. Firstly, the following words will discuss the definitions and differences between the internet and intranet. The definition of internet was described (Stephen, 2003) that the internet is a collection of hundreds of local and wide area networks that are now connected together via the internet backbone (i.e.... [tags: Business Analysis Internet Intranet]
723 words (2.1 pages)
- Executive summary The first year of Business Administration program sufficiently covers almost all of the skills described in the Employability skills 2000+ handout from the Conference Board of Canada, at least as well as can be done in a single year. Each skill is examined and shown how the program transfers knowledge of the skill to the student. One of the recurring items is the major assignments that the students must complete the projects more than the instruction itself is what students learn the most from.... [tags: Business Skills]
1755 words (5 pages)
- Understand the issues related to the use of information Legal issues For the most part it would be fair to state that there is a significant amount of legal legislation that businesses need to follow such as the data protection act, and the freedom of information act. Freedom of information act 2000 This act was passed in the autumn of 2000 however wasn’t fully implemented until early 2005. This was due to the government understanding more and more was being collected and held than ever before. This was passed in order for us to get access to individual records.... [tags: Computer, Computer program, Machine code]
1140 words (3.3 pages)
- The Year 2000 is Coming. Here we are close to the dawn of the millennium. An even 2000 years has passed since man has decided to start counting. That has to be significant, doesn't it. Conspiracy theorists, self- proclaimed prophets, and doomsayers can take this opportunity to spread rumors of world destruction or take ancient prophecies and interpret them to their liking. Life must be getting boring or over stimulating for these folks. There are so many different groups spreading awareness in preparation for the millennium.... [tags: Millenium New Year 2000 Essays]
1454 words (4.2 pages)
- Everyone, It’s amazing how fast a year can go by…we are exiting the year as a better company, providing better service and value to our clients. Attached is the final version of the Strategic Tracking Chart for 2009. As always, please remember to treat this information confidentially…don’t print it and leave it at any client location, or anywhere the general public can see it. Technical Resource Coverage We exit the year with 22 Technical Resources in Ongoing Support, covering 11,539 seats, which translates to 525 Seats per FTE.... [tags: Business Analysis]
1123 words (3.2 pages)
- Start a Bussiness The decision to purchase a business of your own is not an easy task. There are many things to consider before the final decision is made. First of all, exactly what do you want to accomplish. To make millions of dollars, right. Or is it to have the freedom of being your own boss. Whatever the reason, you must be sure that it is something that you are ready to devote an exorbitant amount of time and energy into and that it is something that you really want. Otherwise, you might be stuck doing something that you hate.... [tags: GCSE Business Marketing Coursework]
2652 words (7.6 pages)
- Have you ever wondered where Microsoft will go next with Windows, well now it is time for you to find out. Microsoft has almost completed Windows 2000, which will be the new era for software around the world. In the last year computers have grow dramatically, with the new Pentium II chip and processors with the speeds up to 450MHZ. Almost every family home in America today has at least one personal computer. Whether it is for business or pleasure, more and more people are realizing the significance of computers.... [tags: essays research papers]
712 words (2 pages)
If you are familiar with Windows 98, you¡¦ll feel pretty comfortable with the new operating system¡¦s look and feel. Nevertheless, there is always something to learn. If employees will be using your new operating system, you may need to train before they are comfortable with it.
I recommend that most small businesses wait before undertaking a wholesale upgrade. If you have multiple machines and time to experiment, consider upgrading a simple machine to see how it goes. If you find that all is well, you can upgrade your other machines.