Essay PreviewMore ↓
Citing privacy laws, a State Department spokeswoman in Washington said she could not release more information, but called for the "immediate and safe recovery of all hostages in Iraq."
The Romanians and an unidentified man appeared in a video that aired on the Arabic-language network Al-Jazeera Wednesday. It has not been confirmed whether the unidentified man is the American hostage.
The four were shown sitting on a floor as two men -- their faces covered by traditional headscarves -- stood to the side, pointing guns at them.
The three Romanians -- Marie Jeanne Ion, Sorin Dumitru Miscoci, and Eduard Ovidiu Ohanesian -- work for Prima TV. They were abducted Monday night. (Full story)
Prima TV confirmed the three were in the hostage video. It did not know who the fourth individual was.
The hostages appeared calm in the video. At one point, Ion looked into the camera and said in English, "We have been kidnapped."
She then said there had been reports their hostage-takers "asked for something in exchange for our freedom. This is not true."
In Romania, the Foreign Ministry and the main intelligence service have set up a team to investigate the abduction, and President Traian Basescu has expressed concern.
Ion's sister pleaded for her safe return.
"I implore you to do everything you can to bring my sister back home," Ana Maria Ion said in an interview on Romanian television. "She has no guilt. Our family is waiting for Marie Jeanne to be here, also all the others."
The three were last heard from by the station around 7:45 p.m. Monday during a telephone conversation that was broadcast while they were apparently being abducted, an executive said.
A cell phone text message also was sent that said: "Please call the embassy urgently," a reference to Romania's Baghdad embassy.
The Romanian ambassador to Iraq has collected the personal effects of the team, which had been in Iraq for three days and had been planning to stay for only five days, a Western source said.
Seven civilians die in attacks
Insurgents targeting U.S. forces killed seven civilians Wednesday, police said, during attacks in the northern city of Mosul and the Iraqi capital.
A woman and child were among six killed in Mosul when insurgents fired on a U.S. military patrol in the northeastern part of the city, police said.
How to Cite this Page
"sheeps." 123HelpMe.com. 01 Apr 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Cerebral coenurosis is the intermediary larval stage of Taenia multiceps, which affects intermediate, hosts particularly sheep and goats. In this report, gross and microscopic features of three scarce natural coenurosis cases, a 1 year old ram and two lambs of 7 month old from a flock are explained. At necropsy numerous small cysts measuring 5 to 10 mm in diameter were observed on both cerebrum and cerebellum surfaces moreover multiple deep parts of which. In histopathological examination of the neural tissue, severe tissue destruction and a distinct layer of Gitter cells formation around the cysts, neuronophagia, gliosis and perivascular infiltration of lymphocytes were observed.... [tags: taenia, histopathology, coenurus cerebralis]
1091 words (3.1 pages)
- Patria snuggled into Corbin’s sheets and smiled. They weren’t really his sheets. He’d put clean ones on the bed after he carried her meager belongings up and set them by the door. But, he had slept in this bed before. She drew her fingers over the mattress and wondered how he slept. On his back, or on his side. Had he stayed and slept with her last night after she’d fallen asleep, or had he quietly left to sleep in his own bed. She sighed and put thoughts of Corbin away. He was protective of her because that was in his nature, just like flirting was in Pinks.... [tags: Thought, Mind, Psychology, Sleep]
1523 words (4.4 pages)
- Google has achieved record results to the point of announcing a massive share buyback to satisfy its shareholders, the stock blazing and the company 's market capitalization exceeds $ 500 billion. The balance sheets of Alphabet and Google (in millions) As of December 31, 2013 2014 2015 Consolidated Balance Sheet Data: Cash, cash equivalents, and marketable securities $58717 $64395 $73066 Total assets 109050 129187 147461 Total long... [tags: Balance sheet, Asset, Google Chrome, Google]
774 words (2.2 pages)
- To study the influence of graphene sheets ionization on their structures we, firstly, should define some useful parameters. There are two types of bonds in graphene sheets, one ‘horozontal’ (b1) and one ‘vertical’ (b2) (Fig. 2). Fig. 2. The model used herein to define structural parameters of graphene sheets: ‘horizontal’ (b1) and ‘vertical’ (b2) bond lengths. Terminate carbon atoms, between which the length of the sheet is measured, are colored in black. Hydrogen atoms omitted for clarity. It should be noted, that we use such notations to emphasize the basic difference of these bonds.... [tags: atom, carbon, bonds]
641 words (1.8 pages)
- Though climate change today is subjected to many denialist interpretations, the evidence provided by understanding sea level rise and the retreat of ice sheets presents a direct link with global warming and speaks to the legitimacy of climate change. As one of the main compelling arguments to support climate change, along with extreme weather events and global temperature rise, the past and present evidence for sea level rise is tied to natural and human caused global warming. While the immediate issue at hand may be settling the dispute about accepting human causes and effects of and solutions for climate change, many also deny that the evidence for sea level rise does not provide a connect... [tags: Climate change, Global warming, Sea level, Ocean]
1518 words (4.3 pages)
- For as long as people have had the means, metal has been beaten into sheets and used for architectural purposes, from roof coverings to sewer pipes. In the late seventeenth century, this hand-hammering process was later replaced by large “rotating iron cylinders” which pressed metal into flattened sheets (Simpson 31). These water-powered rolling mills allowed for more uniform sheets as well as a less laborious and time-consuming process. The sheets were allowed to be thinner, which was advantageous when creating smaller details, such as gutters and roofing.... [tags: Installation, Metal Types, Architecture]
1622 words (4.6 pages)
- 21,000 years ago, the Last Glacial Maximum, or LGM, occurred. It was the most recent period in climate history where ice sheets were at their peak size. This era “represents the nearest of a series of past climatic extremes characterizing the waxing and waning of Quaternary ice ages and as such serves as an excellent testing ground for assessment of sensitivity of the Earth’s climatic system,” (814, MAROGT). Due to this sensitivity of the climatic system, when data modeling global climates it is easier to see the individual effects of various external forcings (factors that alter the climate) when they are manipulated.... [tags: Climate, Climate change, Earth]
713 words (2 pages)
- Unique properties and perfect structures of fullerenes and carbon nanotubes (CNTs) predetermine their great influence on nanotechnologies. These nanoclusters demonstrate outstanding mechanical, physical, chemical, electronic and optical properties and have attracted enormous attention of researchers worldwide [1-7]. Graphene, planar sheet of sp2-bonded carbon atoms, is the fundamental component of graphite and carbon nanotubes. The discovery of Geim and Novoselov in 2004  has generated intense activity on graphene research.... [tags: energy, graphene, properties]
714 words (2 pages)
- History tends to have a pattern of repetition. We all know the phrase “History repeats itself.” In the book Animal Farm, a group of animals revolt against their master and create a farm of their own. Corruption and greed takes over and thus the pigs are now the masters they once overthrew. In many ways, the pigs taking control symbolizes all the revolutions to take place and how they end up where they started. Each animal represents different people in office and the people themselves. Animal Farm is based on the Russian Revolution, but, it can relate to any revolution in history.... [tags: Animal Farm, Vladimir Lenin, Marxism]
943 words (2.7 pages)
- Balance Sheet Template [Type the document subtitle] [Pick the date] Comsdev www.aftemplates.com Contents Balance Sheet Extract 2 Answer 1.1 4 Answer 1.2 4 Answer 2 7 Answer 3 8 Reference List 10 Balance Sheet Extract Extract of Accounts CO1 CO2 CO3 CO4 CO4 Indexed 2X16 2X16 2X16 2X16 2X16 Accounts Payable 4.67% 1.81% 14.65% 6.14% 7.32% Accounts Receivable (Net) 23.71% 6.95% 14.24% 3.56% 5.40% Accrued Expenses 1.80% 4.00% 4.97% 4.69% 2.93% Cash and Cash equivalents 1.68% 20.40% 1.63% 2.68% 0.69% Current Assets - Other 3.94% 1.61% 1.11% 3.74% 0.73% Debt (short term) 0.02% 0.05% 4.20% 5.14% 5.14% Deferred Tax Liability 0.00% 0.65% 2.72% 4.10% 6.75% Intangibles 17.53% 14... [tags: Balance sheet, Financial statements, Asset]
1467 words (4.2 pages)
Five other civilians -- three women and two men -- were wounded, police said.
In western Baghdad, a remotely detonated car bomb targeting a U.S. military convoy exploded near an elementary school, killing a school guard and wounding five others, police said.
The explosion -- in the city's Abu Ghraib district -- missed the military convoy, police said.
A critically injured teacher was among the wounded taken to a hospital, police said.
Meanwhile, U.S. soldiers shot and killed an insurgent Tuesday in Mosul, the American military said.
Also Tuesday, U.S. soldiers killed an insurgent, wounded one and confiscated weapons in Tal Afar, west of Mosul, the military said.
Soldiers arrested seven people suspected of a rocket attack close to a U.S.-led coalition base near the northern city of Kirkuk, according to the military. Ten suspects also were arrested in raids Tuesday in northern Iraq.
The U.S. military said an unmanned Air Force reconnaissance aircraft crashed Wednesday in Rawah, a western town on the Euphrates River close to the Syrian border. Another unmanned aircraft crashed Sunday near Balad, north of Baghdad. The military is investigating both incidents.
The Associated Press reports that about 10,500 prisoners in Iraq are in U.S. custody, more than twice as many as the military said were held in October. (Full story)
The transitional National Assembly failed to choose a speaker Tuesday after arguments broke out among lawmakers and reporters were ordered to leave the session. (Full story)
CNN's Elise Labott and Enes Dulami contributed to this report.