Essay PreviewMore ↓
A medical doctor in today’s world is educated and trained in a traditional manner that seeks to insure the well being of his or her patients. Practicing medicine requires a strong science background and rigorous training; it is in the interest of clients and medical boards across the world to assure this. Thus, education in the science field is extremely important, even at the undergraduate level. Being a doctor is not just a job, nor is it solely a career. The medical profession is saturated with risk, for both the patient as well as the doctor. Doctors need early specialization in their education in order to acquire the skills necessary to handle delicate situations that occur on a daily basis.
Malpractice must come to an end. The education that a doctor receives is a tool that he or she will use his or her whole life, (unlike a person who majored in something contrary to what their field of work is). A doctor’s experience is a vital instrument. Medical skill is a demand for certain practicing procedures and should be taken seriously. Knowing the legal system requires a doctor to have a good amount of experience can ease the concerns of family and loved ones, and also gives confidence to a doctor that he or she can do his or her work correctly.
In order for doctors to get the best experience and education needed, training must take place early on in education. An abundance of science courses in college is a good start to prepare for medical school. Even though medical schools might cover the material that is offered in undergraduate biology and chemistry courses, repeat exposure to the material can only be beneficial to the student. The more experience that a student has in science and related subjects ultimately helps the future doctor in the long run.
To ensure the level of maturity of a doctor, it is necessary to educate them on a broad level. According to Thomas,
English, History, the literature of at least two foreign languages, and philosophy should come near the top of the list, just below Classics, as basic requirements, and applicants for medical school should be told that their grades in these courses will more than anything. (Thomas 115)
Educating premed students in these courses is important, but science is the most significant part in an undergraduate program. It requires thought and practice as well as research, which are all fundamental keys to being a doctor.
How to Cite this Page
"Premature Specialization." 123HelpMe.com. 24 Jan 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Premature Birth: The Life of a Premature Baby “Babies born before thirty-seven weeks of gestation are classified of premature”, (Boenker). Premature babies usually are underweight and highly need specialty medical care. “The number of premature births is increasing and occurs in eight to ten percent of all pregnancies in the United States” (“Premature Baby Stats”). Premature births can cause lifetime affects on infants as well as life changing events for their families. Some of the causes of premature births are: Previous premature birth, miscarriage, or multiple abortions.... [tags: premature babies, underweight]
1828 words (5.2 pages)
- A premature baby is known as preemies, come into the world earlier than full-term babies. It’s one who is born too early, before 37 weeks. Preterm deliveries are more common in women younger than 19 or older than 40, and those with a previous preterm delivery. A Baby is a very young child ,one newly or recently born , Usually the youngest member of a family. A Pregnancy is the condition of a woman or female animal that is going to have a baby or babies. A Pregnancy usually last 280 days from the time of last menstruation.... [tags: Females, Pregnancies, Risk, Babies, Premature]
1244 words (3.6 pages)
- Premature Infancy Premature babies, otherwise known as preterm babies, or preemies, are babies that are born earlier than the full-term of thirty-eight to forty-two weeks of pregnancy. These babies are generally born between the twentieth and thirty-eighth week. Almost 250,000 babies, nearly seven percent of newborns, are premature(Golant 4). Prematurity, even with all the advances in technology, is still a major cause of fetal and neonatal death. Actually, around seventy- five percent of perinatal deaths are due to a number of problems associated with prematurity(Freeman 232).... [tags: Babies Birth Early Premature Essays]
1312 words (3.7 pages)
- ... I met witnesses and protagonists of ecomafia, and pored over trial documents, wiretapping records, and research. Step by step, I understood the underlying mechanisms of the whirlwind of billions that was choking Campania region under a thick layer of concrete. Eventually, by driving and walking in the “Triangle of death” , and many other polluted areas, I saw the words I read in my texts become realized, acquiring shape and smell, or rather, stink. During my Master’s degree I carried out another piece of investigative journalism, entitled “Criminal Communication”.... [tags: Camorra in the US, Ecomafia]
543 words (1.6 pages)
- Students, in college, must choose a specific major to pursue a degree in; however, High School education has always deviated from that path, in favor of a more rigid general education structure. The notion of early specialization frightens some people, but allowing students to specialize would increase student engagement and promote the equalization of subjects like Music and Drama with Mathematics and the Sciences. Although specialization will be prioritized in the Super School, a proper High School education should instill students with fundamental knowledge, hence a student specializing in Computer Science would still have to take classes in English, but those classes would be more focuse... [tags: Education, Teacher, Learning, School]
1317 words (3.8 pages)
- Sports Specialization Sports are a popular pastime among all ages and types of people. People not only participate in them for fun, but also for money, physical fitness, rush of competition, and for many other personal reasons. Playing sports is especially common among young people in schools. Athletics are great and enjoyable for many reasons, but there can be a point where sports participation can go too far and become negative for children and adults. Sports specialization for young people is an increasing trend that results in sports having a negative impact on individuals and society.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Essays]
1826 words (5.2 pages)
- Premature ejaculation is one of the most common problems affecting men today. Many men suffer from this embarrassing problem. They are desperate to overcome this problem but do not know the suitable methods. Men affected by premature ejaculation lack the ejaculatory control to last long enough in bed to satisfy their partner, almost always unable to bring a woman to orgasm and the solution for this problem will be discussed. According to Delvin(n.d), the first solution to treat premature ejaculation is by cognitive behavior treatment.... [tags: Sexuality ]
885 words (2.5 pages)
- There are many complications that can occur during childbirth, one being premature birth. Premature birth is birth before 37 weeks of development. Each year more than 543,000 babies are born prematurely, (Science Daily, 02/2010). Although there are many causes and possible complications for premature birth, there are also preventions that can decrease the likelihood. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, premature birth comes with several known risk factors or causes; however, even if these known risk factors are not present, a woman can still have a premature baby.... [tags: Women's Health]
664 words (1.9 pages)
- Thousands of infants are born prematurely on an annual basis, and it is a challenge in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) to facilitate parent-child attachment while still providing the safest clinical environment for the infant. One significant area of research where premature infants are concerned is the effect of early skin to skin contact (SSC), or kangaroo care, between the parent(s) and child during their stay in the NICU. Although it has been found that early and frequent SSC promotes positive physiological responses in preterm infants, there is mostly speculative data regarding the long-term psychosocial effects where parent-infant bonding is concerned.... [tags: Health, NICU]
2618 words (7.5 pages)
- In the United States one in eight births are preterm (“Funding for Premature Related Research”).Premature means that the baby is born early, which is any baby born before thirty-seven weeks but health problems are usually only a problem for babies born before thirty-four weeks (“Funding for Premature Related Research”). Premature births are the leading cause for neonatal deaths and half of all premature births have no known causes (Lynch and Dezen). Babies who survive prematurity face multiple health problems including cerebral disease, vision and hearing loss, mental retardation, and lung problems (Lees, Reynolds,andMcCartan).... [tags: Neonatal Deaths, Lack of Research]
1657 words (4.7 pages)
Doctors that focus on science and health are achieving what the profession requires. Understanding science to its full capacity ought to be the goal for premeds and medical students. To ensure the well fare of a patient, over achievement of science courses is necessary. Looking at the medical educational setup that is present in today’s Universities, premed students work hard at science and put forth the effort to make these classes their number one priority. According to Thomas, “ If there are any courses in the humanities that can be taken without risk to class standing they will line up for these, but they will not get in to anything tough except for science." (Thomas 114) Comprehending science can be hard and exhilarating, students should space out these courses while maintaining a level of understanding of other fields, but it is serious to make focus on science. Any student in the undergraduate level maintaining a good grade point average while taking 300, and 400 level science classes is bound for success.
The risk factor for a doctor practicing medicine that has thoroughly been educated and has completed all necessary science classes, whether it be premature specialization or courses in medical school, will ultimately be a safe doctor and will create a more secure atmosphere in the field.