Essay PreviewMore ↓
1. What is the title of your book? Players: Con Men, Hustlers, Gamblers and Scam Artists.
2. What is the author’s name? Edited by Stephen Hyde and Geno Zanetti.
3. Which company published the book? (Give the publishing company’s name, not the printer’s name.) Thunder’s Mouth Press.
4. When was the book published? (Give the latest date of publication.) 2002.
5. In what city was it published? (If your book lists several cities, simply give the name of the first city listed.) New York City, New York.
The book Players is a very, very good book. It is a compellation of 36 short stories and excerpts from books about gambling, con men, scam artists, hustlers and various other people.
The first story is called The Lottery of Babylon by Jorge Luis Borges. This story was about an old lottery in Babylon. The lottery started out small with just paying out money but in time it got bigger and bigger and bigger. In the end of it the prizes changed from just money to a cult of people who played it, it went from just one winner to many winners, and many losers. Some people whose numbers are pulled won a great amount of treasure, or land or other great prizes. Some would get mediocre prizes like a small amount of money, some would get nothing. The people whose numbers were pulled and deemed losers could get killed, tortured or other horrible things.
One story that is quite longer then most of the other stories is Rudyard Kipling’s The Man Who Would Be King. This is a story narrated by a newspaper editor whose friends come in and tell him of their plan to become kings of Kafiristan, which is part of Afghanistan, and then to become kings of all of Afghanistan in the name of Briton. They go to Kafiristan and carry out their plan by acting like gods using guns against the primitive Afghanis and got people to follow them and to crown them kings. At the end their plan falls apart when he tries to marry a girl who bites him at the alter. The people see blood and realize he is not a god. Then they chase all of them out of Kafiristan.
Another story is called the Merry Antics of Izzy and Moe by Herbert Asbury. This story is about prohibition in the USA in the 1920’s.
How to Cite this Page
"Players Book Report." 123HelpMe.com. 18 Jan 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Book Report on Baseball: A History of America's Game by Benjamin G. Rader In "Baseball: A History of America's Game", the Author Benjamin G. Rader discusses the history of baseball and how it developed to present day. Rader explains how baseball started as a simple game consisting of no rules besides the players using a stick to hit a ball and its constant evolution to what the game is today.... [tags: Rader Book Report Baseball]
1034 words (3 pages)
- Books & Readings - To Free or Not To Free That is the question an author was asking in a book marketing group on LinkedIn. There were many opinions as is often the case in any group. The author was concerned about giving it away because of all the hard work he put into it. I could hardly blame him because I understand the process. In case, you don’t understand what goes into creating a book let me explain it to you. There is research whether it is fiction or nonfiction, in nonfiction the author usually has many years of education and experience behind them.... [tags: Book, E-book, Paperback, Want]
1094 words (3.1 pages)
- Economic theories are as wide as an economist's vision to think. In the Steven Landsburg book The Armchair Economist - Economics and Everyday Life, Landsburg takes many of these economic theories and relates them to everyday type scenarios and makes them understandable to a beginning economist. He breaks his book into six sections each relating to different types of economics, from personal to national theories. Landsburg talks about the power of incentives in his first chapter. What he is referring to is how incentives drive peoples decisions to do things in life.... [tags: Steven Landsburg]
1093 words (3.1 pages)
- Book Report on The New Ethnic Mob by William Kleinknecht The New Ethic Mob by William Kleinknecht explores how the current criminals involved in organized crime are no longer just the Italians. He could be Cuban, Chinese, Russian, African-American, Haitian, or Jamaican. These are the new breed of more sophisticated and more brutal organized criminals. In the preface of the book Kleinknecht states not to mistake this work for a case against immigration in the United States. The author does a great job giving background information on how organized crime emerged in the early part of the nineteenth century.... [tags: Papers]
1458 words (4.2 pages)
- Contents Cover 1 1 Are you ready for some football? 3 Supplies 4 Computer with a stable Internet Connection 4 Email Address 4 Getting Started 5 Choose a Website 5 Register 6 Types of Fantasy Leagues 7 Roster 8 Positions 8 Draft Day 9 Team Pick Order 9 Position Priority 9 Rules 11 Scoring 11 Managing your Roster 12 Free Agency 12 Trades 12 Playoffs 14 Summary 15 Sources Cited 16 Index 17 Are you ready for some football. Fantasy football is a rapidly growing online game played by those who share a love of professional football.... [tags: National Football League, American football]
2678 words (7.7 pages)
- The Soul of a New Machine by Tracy Kidder An underlying message There is I believe a single quote from this book that encapsulates almost entirely its underlying message: "No one ever pats anyone on the back around here. If de Castro ever patted me on the back, I'd probably quit" Herein lies the soul, not a soul of silicon or of steel yet no less tangible. It is human soul that manifests itself through the endeavors of a team of computer designers working at the frontiers of human knowledge and engineering.... [tags: Book Report]
1766 words (5 pages)
- The addicted of using video games on teenagers Introduction Ever since, I looked around and I noticed that the popular games which being used were video games, As a result of publicity. That types of games preside high viewing and using. That phenomenon where spread specifically between adolescent ages. My brother has 15 years old and he was addicted to playing video games. He used it for along period of time and played it with whose outside friends tirelessly.That being wasted of his time, however his attitude where changes and transfer as a result of addicted playing.... [tags: influence, mind, behavior, players]
579 words (1.7 pages)
- Blog 16 – Celebrate Christmas in style with these online casino bonus offers Christmas is the time of year for giving, as it really is the season of goodwill. In the true spirit of proceedings the online casino industry is definitely in the mood to hand out some presents as Christmas Day draws near. Players who are looking to tap into the spirit of the season are going to find that their luck is in over the coming weeks. Any and all players should strive to keep an online casino portal close by this December, as the following offers and promotions are sure to be featured.... [tags: Casino, Slot machine, Casinos]
1724 words (4.9 pages)
- Bass’s analytical framework, called a “new product diffusion model”, is used in this report to model and predict the first purchase growth of e-books. It determines the shape of the curve representing cumulative adoption of the new product. The model and the data are provided in Table-4. In order to build the model, the coefficient of innovation p, the coefficient of imitation q and the total market size m, need to be estimated. In cases like e-books where past data is not available, these parameters can be estimated through the analysis of existing analogous products.... [tags: E-book, Book, Average, Adoption]
1476 words (4.2 pages)
- The Chronicles of Narnia: Book Report Digory and Polly were good friends. They both lived in England for all of their lives. One day they were playing when Polly wanted to show Digory her secret place. It was up in her attic. She hid many things there. She hid fruits and snacks to eat and a lot of other stuff to. Digory noticed a door across the attic. Back then the houses were connected together and they thought that if they would cross the rafters and open the door they could sneak into a house and the next and so on.... [tags: Book Report Chronicles Narnia Essays Papers]
1735 words (5 pages)
Another story is Rufus Jarman’s The Spanish Prisoner, the beautiful Senorita and You. This was about an old scam to get people to come from the USA into Mexico and give a lot of money to a person in jail in return for that person’s daughter’s hand in marriage and a trunk in a customs office with thousands of dollars worth of dollars in treasure. In reality, the person in jail was not really in jail, he did not have a daughter or the person would never see a daughter even if the person had one, their was never a trunk in any customs office. The scammers would also hire people to follow the scamee around so the person would get freaked out and get out of Mexico after giving the money to the person. Post office inspectors said that they would see 10,000 to 15,000 thousand of these letters every couple weeks.
One story is an excerpt from Son of a Grifter by Kent Walker. This is about a mother – son combo of con men. The story is told by the other son of the mother. It is mostly about one big con that the mother and son did. They went to New York and found out about a huge estate worth millions of dollars owned by an 82 year old lady. They go to live their and raise suspicion about themselves by asking around for personal information about the old lady including her social security number. They never get that information but they work the con anyways. What they do is write fake deeds, make up a fake social security number fake her signature and show it to a notary saying that the old lady can not be here because she is in her bed sick. They get a notary to notarize it and then they go on with their plan. The next part of their plan is to kill the old lady. They do this and get her out of their so cleanly that there is no evidence left behind. But, in the end the police find out about them and catch them.