Essay PreviewMore ↓
Individual Assignment on
Personality and the Workplace
PSY 250 – Psychology of Personality
Personality and the workplace 2
There are many situations that can be mentioned when we get into the subject about interpersonal situations at my workplace, but on in particular pops out to my attention, respect. Respect is the one thing that the military was built up on. Well, during the next few pages you will read about how it has changed throughout the years in the military or at least in my career field, how it has been dealt with, how it got this way, what can be done to change it and who is responsible for making the changes. Not only will you read about respect, you will also read about how higher promotion rates have motivated many of the newer supervisors into trying to make the career field a better one for everyone. Through the use of creativity, involvement and implementation these new supervisors are trying to make a change in our military discipline that is so greatly needed.
Since I have returned to my current career field, after managing three dorms, I noticed that the level of respect has changed from when I was there 2 and a half years prior. We have acquired many new very young troops who don’t want to do what they are told, not only are the younger troops acting this way, but many of the non commissioned officers (NCOs) or should I say lower ranking supervisors are acting this way as well. Things aren’t how they use to be when I first came into the military, back then you were told to do something and you did it no questions asked. It got done simply because someone who out ranked you told you to do it. Now days the troops want an explanation to why they are asked to do something, they don’t do it or they do it wrong or carelessly.
Personality and the workplace 3
Due to the diversity of the personalities in our workplace it becomes very difficult to try and pin point a specific personality trait for the cause of our problems. It varies based on each individual; sometimes it is due to the fact that we as supervisors allow our subordinates to get away with murder. In the case of the military we strive on discipline and respect, and when we allow a troop to disrespect any of us or just let them cross over the line once, they forget that they are in the armed forces and tend to lower their standards.
How to Cite this Page
"Personality and the Workplace." 123HelpMe.com. 25 Apr 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Personality and the workplace 1 Individual Assignment on Personality and the Workplace PSY 250 – Psychology of Personality Personality and the workplace 2 There are many situations that can be mentioned when we get into the subject about interpersonal situations at my workplace, but on in particular pops out to my attention, respect. Respect is the one thing that the military was built up on. Well, during the next few pages you will read about how it has changed throughout the years in the military or at least in my career field, how it has been dealt with, how it got this way, what can be done to change it and who is responsible for making the changes.... [tags: Workplace Essays]
767 words (2.2 pages)
- Personality and the Workplace I prefer to discuss a situation at a previous employment as opposed to anything that may be a current situation. I will, therefore, set the stage, so to speak. The company is a small business that deals with commercial real estate management. The company is well on the way to becoming well known industry wide and soon after I began working with this company, they merged with several others, thereby forming an almost nationwide corporation. When I was hired at this company, it was because of who I knew and not because I interviewed for the position.... [tags: Workplace Essays]
719 words (2.1 pages)
- Personality has been inherently defined as possession of a particular set of characteristics possessed by people which influences their behaviour and reactions in different situation along with their motivation level to react to difficulties at the workplace. However, understanding personality traits and their development has been a contentious matter. Nonetheless, various theories have been forwarded to rather contribute to this contentious debate. For example employers set goals and encourage involvement with the company to have a better employee performance, which would result in higher motivation level subsequently leading to increased efficiency.... [tags: human resources, business strategies]
1173 words (3.4 pages)
- An understanding of oneself is necessary in order to obtain greater satisfaction at the workplace. Therefore, this project is focusing on my unique preferences and defining them in a way which helps me to better analyze my personality and my preferences towards the workplace. My different nuances that will be described, are concerning myself as an individual, working with others, and life in organizations. Then, I will go into further detail on what I have learned from this personality test and how I can better utilize these results to increase my understanding of my preferred work environment.... [tags: Personality psychology]
1470 words (4.2 pages)
- Introduction ‘King puts his people as his priority, people put food as their priority’, by the 2000 year old ancient Chinese text. Food is essential, one of the most important elements for survival. Thus serving good food is more than a luxury. Food is part of life. Restaurant owners are clearly own a prestigious status in the society. The aims of this assessment is to analysis the job design of a restaurant owner and examine the advantages and drawbacks supported by academic studies relating to job design theory, job characteristic model and other occupational psychology theories.... [tags: food, personality, workplace ]
1751 words (5 pages)
- A Swedish singer and songwriter name Lykke Li once self-proclaimed that “I am such a complex person. I have so many different layers to my personality to choose from. I am super-sensitive, and I am super-strong.” Now Lykke Li is a singer and songwriter that, up until it came time for me to write this paper, I had no clue who she was. But the essence of her quote is so bona fide that it can almost pertain to any person when their type of personality enters their mind. Personality is the sum of all experiences that we as people have encountered over certain periods of life and, for me, taking this personality quiz was somewhat eye opening how certain experiences and how my childhood life and... [tags: Psychology, Personality psychology, Trait theory]
773 words (2.2 pages)
- After taking the personality quiz, I was given the personality type ENFJ which stands for extroverted, intuitive, feeling, and judging. There are many examples of how my personality type reveals itself in the workplace. My extroversion and intuitiveness have led me to become a retail manager, combining the influencing and sales aspects that are commonly associated with these types of personality traits. I was interested to find out that I make decisions based on my feelings about the situation more so than I rely on logic, or the facts about the situation.... [tags: Personality psychology, Personality type]
1385 words (4 pages)
- The purpose of this project is to show how personality plays a key role in organizational behavior and how it affects many aspects of the workplace. The goal is to further explore and understand personalities that include strengths, weaknesses, leadership skills and behavior within an organization. The results were gathered using the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), a psychological assessment apparatus based on the Jungian personality type theory. The test, was assessed based on how well it validated relationships and anticipated outcomes based on that theory.... [tags: Personality psychology]
1260 words (3.6 pages)
- The Myers-Briggs Personality Test is frequently used in the workplace as a growth tool for not only the employers, but also for the employees. Understanding ones individual personality type is essential to being a productive part of the workplace. In this paper I will discuss how the Type and Temperament my own personality is identified by allows me to be thoughtful and aware as I contribute to the success of my current work team. Each of the four letters carries a strength and weakness that is best understand when the parts are looked at as a whole, I will address all of those items throughout this paper.... [tags: Personality psychology]
1441 words (4.1 pages)
- Stress by definition is an interaction between individuals and any source of demand (stressor) within their environment. Employment can be an exciting challenge for many individuals; it can also be a tremendous source of stress. (Long, Bonita C.) Stress in the work place can cause many individuals harm emotionally and physically. Several reasons for the intense amounts of stress are; too many demands from co-workers, supervisors constantly breathing down your back, elevated noise levels in the work place, lack of knowledge for a particular position, co-workers not upholding their responsibility to help with the task at hand, and favoritism.... [tags: Workplace Health and Safety]
547 words (1.6 pages)
Another reason why things have gotten out of control is because we forget that we were once on the bottom of the totem pole and we as supervisors refuse to do what we are willing to send them to do. I have a philosophy I like to live by, it goes like this; you shouldn’t ask someone to do something that you are not willing to do yourself. Many supervisors’ are quick to delegate but aren’t willing to jump in on the task.
But on a positive note the military had its highest promotion rate since the last 12 years. This has created a positive outlook on the newer NCOs. They are motivated about getting their stripes sewed on and they are coming into the leadership position with a positive attitude. Hopefully this will be a motivating tool for the troops to focus on and it will change their feelings, thoughts, perception and acts while performing their daily functions.
Personality and the workplace 4
In conclusion it can be said the military is an organization that is built on respect and discipline. In the past this was held to the highest of standards, but as time has gone by and the introduction of newer younger troops these rules that we live by and give us pride are fading away. We have said that there is no one else to blame but ourselves; especially us supervisors who haven’t made an effort to make any changes to better the situation. Many of us have forgotten that we were subordinates once and have become lazy as we move up the chain of command. We have also mentioned that the high promotion rate that occurred this year is creating a positive reaction on the newer supervisors and hopefully it will do the same to the troops.