Essay PreviewMore ↓
In my life I have had very few role models. They have been mostly famous people I see on TV like Michael Jordan, but what young man hasn't wanted to seemingly fly through the sky and slam dunk a basketball? But as you grow older and mature you soon realize that more than just famous people can be role models to you. To me one of my role models is my friend Nick.
Nick and I are a lot alike. We both grew up without a father and had a very supportive mothers who love us very much. Nick is three years older than me and we have been friends for about two years. To begin to understand why I look up to Nick you will first have to learn about his past and where he is now.
Like I said Nick grew up in a single parent home where the dad was gone. He went to school like everyone else. Every week he went to church on Wednesday and Sunday. His mom struggled to support him by working several jobs, although she was there when he needed her his relationship with her was strained.
Through high school Nick played sports and hung out with a variety of people. Some good, some not so good. Eventually he fell victim to the so called "party crowd". He started drinking, doing drugs, and selling drugs. He just didn't care what others thought. All the while he was doing this he continued to go to church and pretend everything was fine. Eventually Nick graduated and moved on to college where things would get worse.
His first year of college all he did was party. It got so bad that he was out five nights a week drinking. After his grades started to suffer he realized he had a problem. All this while he was still going to church. Church is eventually where he turned to find help. After kicking his bad habits Nick decided to help others who might have problems like his.
Nick decided the best way to help others was to get involved in as an adult leader in the youth ministries program. He has really shown me what is like to grow up and take responsibilities. The reason I most look up to him is because he has turned away from all that pressure the world puts on people to be popular and is doing something with his life.
How to Cite this Page
"My Role Model." 123HelpMe.com. 27 Jan 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Leadership has a different meaning for everyone. The ability to motivate, set good examples, and persevere through adversity are all parts of leadership. Some people may think that being a leader is only for a select amount people. I see leadership differently. I think everyone is capable of being a leader. There are also various ways that an individual can practice leadership. Obvious examples are the ability to speak, ability to motivate, and the ability to be a good role model. I see the ability of being a good role model and having good character as the foundation of leadership.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Role model, Want]
1453 words (4.2 pages)
- A positive role model is defined as a person who serves as an example of the values, attitudes, and behaviours associated with a role. To be a positive role model there are multiple characteristics one must have. To improve the organisation for the good of its staff would be a positive role models desire. They want the business to succeed and always be improving so that the staff can benefit, a positive role model shows commitment to the organisation and the staff. To be a positive role model one must have good judgment and have the ability to see the “big picture”.... [tags: Learning styles, Auditory learning, Role model]
1364 words (3.9 pages)
- Ever since I was in eighth grade, I have been obsessed with Taylor Swift. She has been my role model since I was thirteen. When you look at most singers today, they have to be singing about drugs or alcohol, using vulgar language, or performing half-dressed. You never see Taylor Swift doing anything that she would be ashamed of later in life. On the other hand, she has had many relationships that have lasted short time periods. At least, she is not getting married for 72 days or even 24 hours such Kim Kardashian or Britney Spears.... [tags: dress, relationship, singer, role model]
904 words (2.6 pages)
- Leadership is trait that is extremely important in any society. Leadership is known as the way people attempting to make a difference in a situation. However, I believe that it is better said to be a way of influencing others actions. Leadership is usually connected to a great leader that affected his or her followers in a dynamic way. Throughout the semester for my leadership class, I have expanded the knowledge in numerous ways. I now have fully understanding of the purpose and process of leadership to a society.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Fiedler contingency model]
1358 words (3.9 pages)
- I have learnt that role models lead by example their behaviour, actions values are displayed in the workplace for employees to look up to. Employees look up to role models who constantly display high standards of work performance, inspire, enthuse act as positive role models. Their behaviour is emulated by others a long with their work attitudes, they are strong, committed, people oriented leaders. They give the organisation and the employees clear identity and clear objectives, they will lead by example, be visible, pat of the communication loop, empower employees, delegate effectively, encourage new ideas and innovations, they will establish direction and influence others so that employees... [tags: Management, Strategic management, Goal]
906 words (2.6 pages)
- Barry Bonds once said, “Everyone in society should be a role model, not only for their own self-respect, but for respect from others.” This quote means that everyone in this world should be a role model, not just for themselves but for the respect from others who look up to them. I agree with this quote, every human being should be a role model for others so they can look for a good example in life to lead in their future. My inspirational figure is my mother. My mother has always been there for me in my life.... [tags: Family, Parent, High school, Mother]
768 words (2.2 pages)
- Q.1. Individuals compare themselves with groups of people who occupy the role to which that individual aspires. The term means: any person who serves as an example whose behavior is emulated by others. Role modelling can serve to reinforce the desired behavior in the role model themselves as well as encourage others to emulate them. A role model in a organisational context is no different from a role model in a family or social context.Their actions, values and behaviors are up held as the ideal and to be desired.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Goal, Sociology]
881 words (2.5 pages)
- When you hear the words “role model”, who or what do you think of. When I hear it a string of actors, musicians, athletes and, celebrities appear in my head. Is this the way kids today have been brainwashed by the T.V. and the radio. What happened to the days when you could ask a child who their role model was and they would answer, “My mommy” or “My daddy”. Our society needs to think about the true role models and not the bad examples. Celebrities and athletes can be a good example sometimes, but like us, they are human, they cannot provide the good influence that kids need today.... [tags: hero]
506 words (1.4 pages)
- Barbie is a Good Role Model As a young girl the fondest memory was playing with all my Barbie dolls and having the time of my young youth. Getting new Barbie’s for my birthday and Christmas was the highlight for my friends and I every year, and comparing which dolls the others got with each other. Never once growing up did any of us feel that Barbie was bad for us to play with, or that she was a bad role model. She could be anything that she wanted to be and her friends were all different too.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Essays]
1465 words (4.2 pages)
- Being a Christian Role Model A role model is somebody you desire to be like; someone who sets a good example. Christians today need a role model who encourages them to have faith and be strong through difficult times. The qualities a Christian role model should have are faith, loyalty, strength, dedication and not being influenced by public opinions. Some people would agree with the statement that Peter isn’t a good role model for Christians today for the reason that Peter promised that he wouldn’t deny Jesus when Jesus predicted his denial.... [tags: Papers]
565 words (1.6 pages)
And in this day an age where real role models are hard to find, he has found a way touch peoples life's in so many ways. He is a real role model for this world full of greedy and self fulfilling people. These are the reasons why Nick is someone to look up to.