Essay PreviewMore ↓
The world of Model Train Building has grown greatly with the aid of computers and technology to enhance the fun of building. Technology has long been a part of Model Train building with the adding of lights, bells, and whistles to capture your interest and imagination. But with the latest generation of building comes the influx of technology and the computer. The computer brings along a new breed of builders who plan track layout, buy parts on the Internet, receive updated news, and chat with other enthusiast.
The most notable difference that computers have brought to the world of Model Train building is in software programming. Now on the market there are numerous different packages of software that enable hobbyist in the “challenge” of real yard operations on a smaller scale. These programs allow the person to move loads between depots and keep track of your revenues. They allow simulations of operational switches between tracks, multiple train operation, coupling/uncoupling of railcars. But the greatest benefit that they bring is allowing the person to design a layout using an electronic template and ensuring that all measurements in the layout will work before a single piece of track is laid. Many of these software programs even play off on the hype of using a computer for design in their name, with names of CyberTrack, The Right Track Software, and Design Your Own Railroad, who could not want to become involved in there use.
This software ties into many other aspects of building that encourage the use of the Internet in this hobby. Many of these programs allow the hobbyist a “realistic railyard” action complete with sights, sounds and even planned crashes. With the event of a crash you are always going to need replacement parts for repair or maybe you just want to upgrade or expand you track system. This brings in the convenience of the use of the Internet in product ordering. With few stores in scattered areas it may be difficult or expensive for some hobbyist to get to these locations for the parts that they need. The Internet brings this store right into their home with online catalogs and parts stores. One mainstream over the counter catalog, The Atlas Catalog, provides an electronic version, The Atlas Online Catalog, for internet users to order parts on a secure online catalog.
Even more important for some people are the Online Magazines that provide up to the minute news breaking information.
How to Cite this Page
"Model Train Building." 123HelpMe.com. 15 Dec 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Model railroading enthusiasts who are new to the hobby may find that setting up their first HO train layout seems to be rather challenging. However, with a few tips from veteran hobbyists, you can find yourself quickly building your layout. Then you will be able to build the great looking scenery with the best hobbyists around and you will be enjoying your layout to the fullest. One tip that helps many hobbyists is that a lot of HO scale layouts can fit in a 4-foot-by-8-foot sheet of plywood. Because a 4-by-8 can be cut down to fit just about anywhere and the benchwork to support it can be made from standard dimensional lumber, the 4-by-8 plywood sheet is extremely versatile for just about a... [tags: Model Railroading]
558 words (1.6 pages)
- Train ME, Prezi. Prezi Training Page The time is Finally here to Build Beautifully with wOw Prezi. Leaving things up to others is all fine and dandy, but with your presentation usually being the first impression that prospective clients, customers and investors have of you, it is important to ensure that they are not only impressive, but impactful. Our training course will get you there. Utilize this training platform and gain immediate access to the Prezi Awards winner, and Prezi Services Certified Partner, PREZI EXPERT, of wOw Prezi.... [tags: Learning, Skill]
1020 words (2.9 pages)
- Model railroad scenery adds an element of realism like no other feature of a model train layout. The hills, lakes, streams, and trees provide a way to transport yourself to a different place and time. Using some of the tips that follow will allow any beginning hobbyist to add a unique touch to any railroad layout. Many materials for creating the scenery of a model railroad layout are available commercially and this makes the job of designing your layout very easy. Everything from pine trees to the largest deciduous trees are available in the market of model railroad scenery.... [tags: Hills, Lakes, Streams, Trees]
437 words (1.2 pages)
- ... Although this may not be a conventional example of being sustainable, I believe that by addressing this problem now and not allowing it to fester for future generations to deal with was a very sustainable move. Safety issue that would have surrounded this project in the planning process would have included ensuring that the shape of the tracks of some rides and the speeds at which the ride goes at would be sufficient and also not too fast to ensure the safety of the passengers, especially with the “Seven Dwarves Mine Train” which involves rocking carts, the first roller coaster of its kind.... [tags: Seven Dwarves, Mine Train]
1283 words (3.7 pages)
- Political framework is one of the four framework approaches identified by Bolman & Deal, and help change agents diagnose organizational needs, and plan appropriate actions. The political framework focuses on leaders who use a political approach to facilitate change focus on the political realities that affect companies both internally and externally. The political approach emphasizes dealing with the interest groups and their agendas, coalition-building, negotiating conflicts over resources and creating compromises (Bolman & Deal, 1991).... [tags: Leadership, Management]
1071 words (3.1 pages)
- Narrative Essay The second semester of the Sergeants Major course covers a lot of material on Organizations, Leaders, Power, Influence, Stress, Ethics, Vision, Culture and Climate. The knowledge gained from block (s) L103, L105, L107 and L109 are important to future Operations Sergeants Major because; we will be able to assist the commander through the process of changing the climate and culture and enabling the unit to become stronger as a team. Kotter Model The Kotter Model comes from the L103 block it is an eight stage model that helps avoid mutual issues that plague the smallest change attempts in an organization.... [tags: Narrative, Change, Organization]
1364 words (3.9 pages)
- Kitchener’s Critical Evaluation Model The Kitchener Critical Evaluation Model came about in the 1980’s and is considered the building block for other models. This model believed there was a need to deeper the understanding of ethics beyond a counselor’s moral judgment (Cottone & Claus, 2000). Kitchener created five principles for counselors to follow that create a guide for what is ethically expected. The first principle is autonomy, which is given to the client for them to find their freedom.... [tags: Ethics, Morality, Decision making]
734 words (2.1 pages)
- A solid theoretical foundation is required to lead and manage change. For efficient and effective change to take place it must be intentional. Leadership set the tone and the direction of an organization allowing it or hindering it to change and adapt. Leader can use tactics and skills to create an organic change environment with the right change models and interventions when the organization is most ready for change. Organic Evolution of Change To make a change initiative organic, employees must be engaged within the process.... [tags: Management, Skill, Leadership, Sociology]
1242 words (3.5 pages)
- Hizballah: Model Of Terrorism Hizballah, or Party of God, has been established as one of the best-organized movements towards independence within the Middle East. In 1983 the Lebanese Shiite Muslims formed this group as an Islamic rebellion against the United States as well as the Israeli Forces. Although Hizballah is a fairly new organization, it has quickly become a model organization not of behavior, but of terrorism in the Middle East and throughout the rest of the world. Hizballah believes that Israel is planning to take over a good portion of the Middle East from the Euphrates to the Nile as God promised to Abraham in Genesis 15:18-21 (Thompson).... [tags: Terrorism Terrorist Islam Essays Papers]
706 words (2 pages)
- Our company, Soap-n-Suds, is planning to upgrade the Windows operating systems that we currently use on all 5,000 desktop computers to a more advanced version. At present, we are using an early version of this Microsoft operating system on all desktop computers used by Soap-n-Suds employees. If possible, our company will also strive to update our desktop computers as well as the Microsoft software that will be put on it. The vice-president of information technology has asked us, the hired analysts, to compare and contrast the latest versions of the Windows operating system, the Mac operating system, and the Linux operating system.... [tags: Operating system, Apple Inc., Microsoft Windows]
1281 words (3.7 pages)
With this contact comes the use of Chat rooms for these hobbyist to “talk shop” about their mutual interest. Of course many of these rooms are just a place for people with the same interest to socialize, they also allow them to finds others to trade, get ideas, and receive updated news.
As always, manufactures are into selling their product and with all these “flashy” new selling points of use of a Personal Computer, how could hobbyist in this field not want to become involved? One of the leading factors driving the trend toward these high-tech trains is the growing power and falling prices of the parts. Computer chips and memory that once cost hundreds of dollars can now be had for a fraction of the cost. As the price of personal computers falls, so does the price of software and components for the home user making the appeal to there use even stronger.
The growing use of high-tech components in traditional train building brings, “A blurring of the lines between what is a software product and what is a toy product,” says Lego spokesman John Dion. Regardless if the hobbyist is an experienced train builder or a novice in train building, it can be said that the influence of computers and technology will continue to grow as computers expand into more aspects of our modern life. “Children are born into a technological world. Their frame of reference is that there’s always technology,” says Chris Byrne of Playthings Marketwatch. “What electronics does is it simply enhances and adds a level of reality to the play experience,” Byrne said.
As the world of computers expands, so does too the world of Model Train building. The use of software programming gives the builder a way to build complex and innovative tracks only limited to his imagination with the resources a computer will give him. Ryan Slata, director of marketing for Playthings Toys says, “I think kids expect more in their toys these days because technology is all around them, we’re in the computer age and I think that translates down to the toys.” To say that someone has an “interest” in Model Trains is always an understatement, and with the use of computers and technology this interest brings the experience to a new level.