Essay PreviewMore ↓
Mariah grew up on Long Island, daughter to hard working parents. Her father Alfred Roy, half Venezuelan, and her mother Patricia, Irish, instilled strong values in their baby Mariah. Life was tough for Mariah, but she kept her chin up. She worked her way through Oldfield Middle School and graduated Harborfield High School at 17, and one day later she moved to New York City.
Mariah had stars in her eyes and an astounding voice backing up those dreams. She is known for an eight octave voice level, something nearly unparallel in the music industry. But, as anyone who's worked in the industry knows, talent doesn't always equal superstardom.
But Mariah had a few other things going for her as well. She was able to grab a gig working as a backup singer for Brenda K. Starr, who was so impressed with Mariah's voice that she volunteered to pass along her demo tape. Starr passed it to Tommy Mottola, a musical mastermind, the man behind Sony Music and Columbia Records. Tommy loved it; and apparently loved her as well. The two wed in 1993.
But before the couple exchanged nupitals, Mariah released her first album, a self-titled, heavily played smash success. The album would set into motion a number of the records Mariah was able to shatter during her career (most consecutive #1 singles, first female soloist to go straight to #1, a #1 hit in each year during the 90s). Her success was cemented with Grammys for Best New Artist and Best Female Vocalist.
Mariah's ever-important sophomore album (which seems to make or break a number of artist - see Hootie & The Blowfish) failed to disappoint. "Emotions" had three big hits and sold quite well. "Music Box" would follow, along with "Daydream", "Butterfly", and "Heartbreaker." Apparently, the record companies are just as pleased as the American public.
How to Cite this Page
"mariah carey." 123HelpMe.com. 19 Nov 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Mariah Carey is diva. Her hits have spanned two decades and have broken records long held by music heavyweights like the Beatles and one Elvis Presley. Her concerts have grown exponentially and she consistenly sells out venues across the globe. Her success has allowed her to throw millions and millions of dollars around as if it were petty cash. But she insists, she's still just a girl from New York. Mariah grew up on Long Island, daughter to hard working parents. Her father Alfred Roy, half Venezuelan, and her mother Patricia, Irish, instilled strong values in their baby Mariah.... [tags: essays research papers]
461 words (1.3 pages)
- “Music is an important and extremely useful took in the way we learn and to deny its power is a waste of a truly wonderful resource.” This quote was spoken by Kristian David Olson. In other words, music has such a great impact on people’s lives and has for a length of time. It is a way to connect to our feelings, how an individual acts, and thinks. Although music can impact our lives positively, it can also affect us negatively. Music can have a positive impact on our lives. For example, it has been proven to affect someone’s mood and even the way they think.... [tags: Emotion, Thought, Song, Mariah Carey]
753 words (2.2 pages)
- Music is a way of expressing yourself and letting emotion out. Music has always been a part of my life. It’s all around with no escape; from advertisement jingles on television to the radio stations at work, I’m always close to music. I even have over one thousand songs on my phone at the ready. Music has enlisted many emotions and thoughts for me but most importantly, memories. My music life started with nursery rhymes and will continue to the last song I have the privilege of listening to before I go.... [tags: Family, Emotion, Mariah Carey, Natasha Bedingfield]
1466 words (4.2 pages)
- Beliefs in Virtue Versus Conduct in Elizabeth Carey’s The Tragedie of Mariam Between the years 1602 and 1604 Elizabeth Carey is believed to have written her closet play The Tragedie of Mariam. Herod, Mariam’s husband, was believed to be dead at the beginning of the play, and so the characters experience a newfound freedom from his tyranny. From this, we see how characters understand the idea of virtue in different ways. I am going to focus on two characters, Mariam and Constabarus, in order to demonstrate how Carey creates a world in which being consistently virtuous or ethical in conduct is impossible because of their personal interests.... [tags: Ethics, Virtue, Life, Death]
1682 words (4.8 pages)
- Theoretical model of addiction (e.g. moral, disease, bio-psycho-social, etc.) The etiology of Harry Carey addiction seems incorporates two distinct theoretical models, e.g. disease and psychological models. Harry’s consumption and substance use patterns are indicative of someone who was born predisposed to substance use. This is evident from Harry’s admission that his mother “had a drug problem” furthermore; Harry’s acknowledge he does not know if she had an alcohol problem. Harry describes several incidences that he has had legal issues directly related to substance use.... [tags: Addiction, Drug addiction, Psychology, Behavior]
1219 words (3.5 pages)
- India, the Indigo Plant, and William Carey The Indian Indigo trade began to flourish around 1789-1793, about the time Carey arrived in India. The East India Company with large scale commerce set the scene for Indigo cultivation. The Company was constantly in a state of growth and expansion. India became the grounds for a major trading center for goods across the known world. From childhood to the first step on Indian soil, Carey had a variety of knowledge concerning agricultural matters.1 As a child and into his adulthood, Carey constantly studied botany, how plants migrate, reproduce and grow.... [tags: seeds, dye, trade and commerce]
550 words (1.6 pages)
- "Expect great things from God. Attempt great things for God" is a quote by William Carey, a missionary to India, and encarved on his tombstone. Carey's goal was to build an indigenous church "by means of native preachers" and by providing Scriptures in the native tongue, and to that end he dedicated to his life. Carey had an intriguing life and he developed ten strategies which missionaries use today. Carey was born on 17th August 1761 at Paulerspury, a pleasant village in Northamptonshire, England.... [tags: Evangelism]
2428 words (6.9 pages)
- Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey Works Cited Missing The passage comes from the work Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey. It's a fairly modern piece being written in only 1988. The title itself reflects a notion that the piece centers on two characters, Oscar and Lucinda. We are acquainted with these characters in the first few paragraphs. There is a man of middle class standing, Oscar, and a woman with a glass making business of her own, Lucinda.... [tags: Papers]
817 words (2.3 pages)
- The Drew Carey Show Actor, comedian, author and television comedy sensation Drew Carey stars in "The Drew Carey Show" as an average single everyguy struggling to stay financially and romantically afloat in the unpredictable '90s. From Mohawk Productions, Inc. in association with Warner Bros. Television, this half-hour comedy depicts the life of a wannabe upwardly mobile guy whose looks, well, wouldn't get him work modeling Speedos, but at least he's got a brain and maybe a few dates along the way .... [tags: Papers]
461 words (1.3 pages)
- Henry Charles Carey 	One of the most highly regarded and best known economist of the early eighteen hundreds was Henry Carey. Of all the many American economists in the first half of the nineteenth century, the best known, especially outside of America, was Henry Carey. Being born in Philadelphia, Carey's views were that typically of an American. The manor, in which he opposed other economists and established his own theories, distinguished him as a prominent figure not only in his hometown of Philadelphia but in the entire United States.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
3373 words (9.6 pages)
Out of the recording studio, Mariah separated from Mottola in 1997, and the two would divorce a year later. Mariah picked right up, dating New York Yankees star Derek Jeter. But the relationship fizzled and Mariah has kept subsequent flings out of the press.