Essay PreviewMore ↓
The variable interest rate on federal student loans will rise nearly 2 percentage points after midnight Thursday. Some borrowers could save thousands of dollars over the lives of their loans by consolidating at the lower rate.
The unusually sharp increase has prompted a wave of last-minute inquiries, causing back-ups for banks' 800 numbers and at the Department of Education's Direct Loan Servicing Center, where at least some calls weren't getting through Wednesday.
Department spokeswoman Susan Aspey encouraged borrowers to file electronically -- the department added nine Internet servers for extra traffic -- or to call at off-peak times. The center will remain open until midnight Pacific time Thursday.
Borrowers can generally apply for consolidation loans online, but the process can be tricky and they often end up phoning lenders with inquiries.
"The volume is tremendous," said Jennifer Darwin, a spokeswoman for Charlotte, N.C.-based Wachovia Corp., which said call volume was up 51 percent compared to a year ago.
A spokeswoman for Charlotte-based Bank of America said callers should expect to be on hold an hour or more, even though the bank has added staff to field calls.
Other companies said their preparations worked. Mark Brenner, president of San Diego-based College Loan Corp., said 97 percent of calls were being answered within 30 seconds.
At Collegiate Funding Services in Fredericksburg, Virginia, executive vice president Clark McGhee also said most queries were being answered, thanks to extra staff and overtime, despite several times the usual volume. Pennsylvania's Higher Education Assistance Agency had managers answering calls, which were at more than twice the usual volume.
Some lenders bombarded students with reminders encouraging them to consolidate, but it didn't prevent a last-second rush.
"You'd be surprised how many students out there have no idea what interest rates have been doing and what it means for them," said Matthew Steingraber, vice president of marketing at Academic Financial Services in Tampa, Florida, where volume is about 50 percent higher than normal.
How to Cite this Page
"Loans." 123HelpMe.com. 21 Feb 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- FHA mortgage loans are part of a nationwide lending program that allows Americans who may not qualify for a conventional mortgage to purchase a home. The Federal Housing Administration, more often known as FHA, is run by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). An FHA mortgage is an attractive proposition for anyone who qualifies for the opportunity to make a lower down payment and to pay reduced closing costs, when purchasing a home. These are just part of the deal you get with an FHA mortgage.... [tags: fha loans, mortgage, housing loans]
696 words (2 pages)
- If you are looking to invest your property and enjoy the benefits year after year, refinancing with an FHA loan puts your investment to work for you. Letting you reduce the interest rate of your home, while making sure you don’t default on your mortgage payments. The Federal Government issues a loan insured by the Federal Housing Administration reducing the risk of loss. This program was instated due to a massive amount of foreclosures and defaults in the 1930’s. This new program had stimulated the housing market; making sure home loans were easily achieved.... [tags: fha loans, mortages, home owners]
736 words (2.1 pages)
- As a newcomer to the world of home buying in the state of Texas, it’s important to do research on loans and mortgages. Maybe you’re fed up with making rent payments or maybe you’re newly married and ready join the ranks of being a home owner. Put simply, you know you don’t have a lot of money and homes that need some repairs or updating are the only homes in your price range. This situation may seem less than ideal, but is one that many people are finding themselves in. Fear not, this is the age of do-it-yourself.... [tags: loans, mortages, home owner, fha]
707 words (2 pages)
- Getting an education is a valuable tool for any career. Canada offers an education through wonderful universities. Many delay or postpone their education due to the lack of financial funding. There are numerous scholarships available to individuals with a desire to gain further education. Many universities offer programs known as work- study programs. Theses programs are designed for the student to be employed through the university they are attending and a partial amount of the income earned will be applied to the education cost.... [tags: Scholarships, Grants, Loans, Continued Education, ]
568 words (1.6 pages)
- The problem to be investigated is the ethics and effects of subprime loans on the financial institutions, borrowers and stakeholders. The subprime market was created to provide borrowers with a FICO score below 570 access to home loans. Inopportunely these loans were a major financial risk as most of the borrowers did not have the long-term income to pay for the high interest rate loans. (Jennings, 2012) Subprime loans started out as a generous, philanthropic idea. Giving people who had bad credit the opportunity to own a home regardless of their income or past credit issues showed compassion and caring for the poor, middle class and elderly who couldn’t possibly qualify for a home loan und... [tags: Business Ethics]
1842 words (5.3 pages)
- What Is The Real Purpose Of Pay Day Loans If you really require instant amount, you have a better guide named as pay day loans. Though you have alternative ways, you can compare and put analysis on benefits between different options to conclude to one solution. In this way, pay day loans are comparatively better in terms of time. If you apply for bank loan, you should wait for time more than you expect. Apart from time, you are also supposed to submit credits to receive loan. With pay day loans, you no need to submit any credits.... [tags: Loan, Debt, Payday loan]
844 words (2.4 pages)
- Is Payday loans Australia legal. Description: Payday loans Australia is now a legalized loan concept and it has already been proved. The loan experts say that these loans are one of the best means for getting rid of financial troubles. Payday loans Australia has now created a great craze in the financial market and these kinds of loans are really special. There are few government regulations that can guide these loans and thus all lenders catering these loans should essentially abide by the same.... [tags: Loan, Debt, Payday loan, Predatory lending]
2190 words (6.3 pages)
- There is so much information on the web about student loans. In particular, there are certain myths out there that just aren’t true when it comes to your student loans. Here are eight student loan myths that may surprise you. You don’t need to worry about your student loans while you’re in school. The biggest mistake you can make is to blindly take out student loans without considering your major, future career, or finding ways to minimize your debt while in school. If you live like a professional while you’re in school, then you could be living like a student when you’re a professional.... [tags: Debt, Money, Loan, Interest]
984 words (2.8 pages)
- Borrowers flooded the Department of Education and lenders with phone calls as they rushed to beat the deadline to consolidate student loans before interest rates rise. The variable interest rate on federal student loans will rise nearly 2 percentage points after midnight Thursday. Some borrowers could save thousands of dollars over the lives of their loans by consolidating at the lower rate. The unusually sharp increase has prompted a wave of last-minute inquiries, causing back-ups for banks' 800 numbers and at the Department of Education's Direct Loan Servicing Center, where at least some calls weren't getting through Wednesday.... [tags: essays research papers]
405 words (1.2 pages)
- Student Loans The federal government has the power to cutback the funding of student loans. There are several different ways the government can go about doing this. One way is to keep the amount of each loan the same and reduce the number of loans granted. Another option the government has is to reduce the amount of each loan and issue the same number as in the past. Either way, students that belong to a low-income family will be greatly affected. Cutbacks in the funding of student loans have several effects.... [tags: Papers]
463 words (1.3 pages)
Still, consolidation is a risk. Interest rates have been at historic lows, but if they were to eventually drop even more, students might regret locking in at a higher rate.
Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.