Essay PreviewMore ↓
Often times when the normal parent or upstanding citizen turns on the TV
and sees a young black man rapping about the hood they are usually turned off.
Stereotypes come in to play and the channel is switched without even considering
what message that human being is trying to convey.
When listening to rapper Too Short and his song "Gettin it", you here a
lot of stereotypes being defied. The song is about getting out of the hood and
making a good life for yourself. Most of society just assumes that these young
black rappers have no brain's and no sense of purpose for life. Too Short's
song "Gettin it" tells a different story. Too Short's successes portray
the dream that kids have growing up in the hood. Those kids dream of getting
rich at a young age and living like a true "player" for the rest of their
day's. They want to drive around in a benz' and have girls fill the whole
thing. What these kids don't understand is that Too Short didn't get to where
he is by pimping or selling drugs, he got to where he is by some simple rules
discussed in his song "Gettin it".
First of all, an important ingredient to the song is how it appeals to
kids. With it's ghetto beat and monster bass the song is something that kids
feel cool listening to. This is his first success ingredient, getting the
attention of his audience so that they will listen to his message. His message
is of course the best thing about the song. It explains to kids to "stop just
hangin out, set your self some goals, think positive, and keep hustling".
Too Short has got to the financial level he's at, by following the keys
that he describes in his song, not by following the stereotypes that parent's
turn off of the TV. Acting ghetto, for appeal, and rapping with a sweet rythym
tongue was only the bare minimum of what he needed to rise to the top of the
rapping industry. Studies show that the majority of successful people are not
lucky, nor are they geniuses. Successful people usually follow three simple
keys that are outlined in Too Short's song.
The first key to success is the ability to take action and go out and get
what you want out of this life. Too Short talk's about this when he says, "you
got to get a good job and set your self some goals think positive, and never
stop hustling". The world owes you nothing, you have to do the right things, or
How to Cite this Page
"Lifes Too Short." 123HelpMe.com. 27 Jan 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Life's a Bitch and then you Rock Life is full of hardships, which is a bitch. But, if faced, they are overcome and you are rewarded, which rocks. However, if the problems are not dealt with, more problems will arise. My title is a quote by Art Alexakis—lead singer of the band Everclear. He was presented with problems in his life, but he faced them. And now his life is much better. No one ever promised that life would be easy, and no one ever told you exactly what to expect. This is because everyone’s life is different.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1229 words (3.5 pages)
- Life’s Ways with Unfair Love Forest Gump, a well-known film, not only shares the story of a man’s journey through life, but it also portrays the many facts faced each day. Life is not fair, but there is no reason not to except it and just get used to it. Throughout life there are many obstacles and experiences that we all go through at one time or another. Everyone has feelings and those feelings are bound to be confusing at some point in our lives. Missing someone you love and then feeling hurt by watching him or her love somebody else can be one of the toughest things to deal with in life.... [tags: essays research papers]
535 words (1.5 pages)
- Luck. It was to be our rest period but a Mike boat that was supposed to run supplies up to a F.O.B, (forward operating base), had been ambushed. She had been hit by rocket propelled grenade and recoilless rifle fire, which resulted in her receiving severe structural damage. One of her crewmen being killed and another three wounded. Making water and listing badly she had barely managed to limp home as dusk fell. Had they been ambushed in a canal instead of the river I doubt they would have managed the return.... [tags: personal narrative]
997 words (2.8 pages)
- Culture is something we have all heard in our daily lives. In literature, culture is used very well and analyzing it to get the true meaning of culture portrayed in a text can be very useful. Culture can mean various things from what you do and what you think to your general lifestyle. It defines the person you are and is present within everyone’s life. Culture is very important in texts and it is worth analyzing. You know a lot more about the text if you know the meaning of culture in that text.... [tags: Brick Lane, I Too Sing America]
1187 words (3.4 pages)
- “Life’s too short and tomorrow is never guaranteed. Do what makes you happy, be with those who make you smile, and love life.” They call it a bucket list, a list of things you want to do before you die. In this paper I will be saying the 3 things I want to accomplish most before I pass away. There is a lot of things to do in this world but you want to find the things that you love and that make you happy. People make these list all the time but only a view truly live by them. It 's one thing to write something down you want to do but it 's another to actually do it.... [tags: 2006 singles]
1095 words (3.1 pages)
- The year 2013 was the most deviating year for me, many were killed. That year my friend died, without accomplishing all that she wanted. I remember her saying many times that she wanted to go back to school, but kept on getting discouragement from her brother. She was never true to herself, instead was true to others. My friend death didn’t make me gloomy; it just made me want to live my life to the fullest and be true to myself. Many people did not realize until the end of their life all the things that wish to accomplish, and been happy is a choice.... [tags: personal narrative]
536 words (1.5 pages)
- The Illinois countryside was sweltering in July. The flat earth invited the harsh, dusty winds that hummed a lonely tune. The sky never took on a hue of blue but instead was always soaked in reddish yellow as if the sun was bleeding into it. There was a worn out house that stood wearily in the middle of a desolate plain. It wasn’t beautiful. The windows were covered in a veil of dry, brown dust, suggestive of its detachment from human contact for years. The roof had a gild of fading red paint that would have once looked pretty and bright.... [tags: short story,]
1420 words (4.1 pages)
- “What am I doing here?”, I whispered desperately. I realized my weakness while trying to open my eyes. I rolled his gaze up beneath my closed lids and let go the bitten apple I was holding in my hand. An endless space of alternating sleepiness, awakening, drifting, silence and darkness were wrapping me few moments ago. “What is happening to me?”, I wondered silently while shocked by my suddenly tilting universe. I tried to react with any movement just to give a signal of life, a scream for help but I simply couldn’t.... [tags: feeling, short man]
1045 words (3 pages)
- The World is Too Much With Us Poem William Wordsworth’s poem is a statement about conflict between nature and humanity. The symbolism in his poem gives the reader a sense of the conviction and deep feelings Wordsworth had. Wordsworth longs for a much simpler time when the progress of humanity was tempered by the restrictions nature imposed. Wordsworth gives a fatalistic view of the world, past and future. The words “late and soon” in the opening verse describe how the past and future are included in his characterization of mankind.... [tags: World Is Too Much With Us]
621 words (1.8 pages)
- Ideal Image of Nature The World Is Too Much with Us by William Wordsworth represents modern humanity's lost spiritual connection with nature, in which he believed could only be preserved in memory. This poem is a sonnet that through images and metaphors offers an angry summation of the theme of communion with nature. Wordsworth repeats the fatalistic theme of humanities progress at the cost of preserving nature throughout the sonnet. The symbolism created by the images and metaphors represent Wordsworth's deep passion about the conflict between nature and modern progress.... [tags: World Is Too Much With Us]
661 words (1.9 pages)
leave clues to follow. Too Short watched guys rise out of the hood and go on to
live very prosperous lives. He noticed how they did it and he learned from them.
One of these people probably once told him that you either climb or you fall,
there is no cruise control.
The second key is to determine your goals of life. Determine the outcome
you want to reach at the peak of your carreer. Too Short says throughout the
song that he set himself some goals and had a passion and obsession to reach
them. Early on when he was around 17, he thought of what resources he had to
change his present situation of living in the hood with no job. He knew he was
good at rapping and that he could portray the life of a pimp in order to appeal
to certain kids. He took these resources and ran with them.
The third and final key he used was the ability to alter his approach. Too
Short didn't succeed on his first album or his second, but he kept hustling and
started making big bucks by his next couple album's.
He was always looking for ways to improve his rapping and come up with new
beats and titles.
So do you still think all young black rapper's have no purpose in their
babbling of word's amidst tons of bass and beats. I think that if you listen
to some, they might just surprise you, and teach you some lessons. Do you think
that Too Short's success had to do with intelligence? By no means have Too
Short's millions of dollars came from intelligence, he didn't even graduate from
high school. What he has is the ability to take action, then set himself some
goals, "think positive and the rest is old". Lastly, Too Short "never stopped
hustling" he altered his approach until he got to where he wanted to be.
Through mastering the art of communication he grasped an audience and got
the chance to convey his message.
The song, "Gettin it", with its many teaching keys, and the life of Too
Short are a great example of the fact that successful people don't get struck
from heaven with a golden wand, successful people aren't always intelligent,
successful people usually earn their way to the top by setting goals, taking
action on those goals, and changing in anyway needed to acquire those goals.
We all love to be at the top, but the question is, what are you willing to do to