Essay PreviewMore ↓
The number one cause of death in teens is suicide? Looking back to one of the most commonly known and most devistating suicides, of Kurt Cobain lead singer of the former band Nirvana. In his time of music he had the world in his hands. He used personal turmoil as fuel for great music. Suprisingly, he seemed unusually tortured by success.
The author of Come As You Are: The Story of Nirvana said, "He was a very bright, sweet, generous, and caring person, perhaps a little too sweet and sensitive for the business he was in."
One of Cobain's biggest worries was that his band had sold out. In one line of a not-so-popular song he says, "I'd rather be dead than be cool." It seemed like the once unknown punkish Seattle band moved mainstream overnight. Nirvana caught on fast and changed rock and roll music forever. Nirvana, along with a few other Seattle bands, molded the music of the 90's, alternative.
Where did it all start for Kurt? Kurt Donald Cobain was born February 20, 1967. He was a happy child living with his mother and father in Aberdeen, Washington. But the happiness, soon interrupted in 1975 when Kurt's parents got divorced. Kurt was ashamed. He longed for the typical "Brady Bunch" family, but instead he lived in a trailor with his mother. In result of this Cobain became extremely anti-social, he had few friends, and was beat up alot.
On his 14th birthday Kurt recieved his first guitar. He had been writing poetry since he was 13, so he started using his poetry to write songs. He was in several bands throughout highschool, some of them were named Fecal Matter, Skid Row, Brown Cow, The Sellouts, and Pencap Chew.
Around the time of Kurts senoir year he formed Nirvana with high school friend, Krist (Chris) Novoselic. A few drummers of their's fell through and then they found what kurt called "the worlds best drummer", Dave Grohl. His drumming style was exactly what nirvana needed.
Two months before Kurt's high school graduation he dropped out. This move made his mother angry so she kicked him out of the house. He lived with friends, and for a time he even lived under a bridge of the Wishkah River in Aberdeen.
A few years later, in June of '89, Nirvana's first album was released, entitled Bleach. They did short US tours and European tours to promote their album with bands such as Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chili Peppers.
How to Cite this Page
"Kurt Cobain." 123HelpMe.com. 22 Apr 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Jordan Troccoli Period 5 March 15th 2015 The Journey of Kurt Cobain’s Life On February 20th 1967, a man who many called an alternative rock legend was born in Aberdeen Washington, his name is Kurt Cobain. As a kid Kurt grew up in a small logging town with his mother Wendy Cobain, and father Donald Cobain. Growing up was difficult for Kurt Cobain as his parents were constantly fighting. At the age of nine Cobain’s parents had filed for a divorce, and Cobain decided to live with his father, Donald.... [tags: Kurt Cobain, Nirvana, Courtney Love]
1064 words (3 pages)
- Kurt Cobain's Biography Kurt Donald Cobain was born to Wendy and Donald Cobain on February 20, 1967 in the small logging community of Aberdeen Washington and his life ended on April 5, 1994. Kurt fronted one of the greatest bands of our time called Nirvana. In this report I hope to inform you about the life and mysterious death of Kurt Cobain. Kurt had a good childhood, but a troubled adolescence. Partly because of his parents splitting up in 1975 when Kurt was eight years old. Kurt chose to live with his mother.... [tags: Kurt Cobain Artist Nirvana Biographies Essays]
1305 words (3.7 pages)
- I’ve chosen to write about Kurt Cobain because his life really became difficult for him around the age of nine after his parents divorced and Kurt became seriously withdrawn. There are many changes that Kurt went through in his life and I found it very interesting. Kurt’s parents divorced when he was nine. He lived with his father after the divorce. On weekends, he visited his mother and sister. When his father remarried, Kurt held resentments with his stepmother Jenny and her two children. One of the bright spots of this difficult time was a present he received from his uncle, a guitar.... [tags: Biography, Psychoanalysis]
1522 words (4.3 pages)
- Personality theories attempt to identify the origins of personalty and examine how personality develops. Throughout the history of psychology, different psychologists have offered various personalities, each one contradicting some idea of the other. It is possible to examine personality using multiple parts of different theories, while certain characters may be best described by one theory. Although Kurt Cobain, a complex character, cannot possibly fit into any one personality theory perfectly, parts of his personality can be explained using theories created by Alfred Adler and Carol Rogers.... [tags: Psychology]
1408 words (4 pages)
- “A person’s behavior, whether normal or abnormal, is determined largely by underlying psychological forces of which he or she is not consciously aware.” (Comer, 2011, p. 37) The psychodynamic model is the oldest and most famously used model when diagnosing and treating abnormal behaviors; its purpose is to find the problem hidden in past events within a person’s life. In this paper I will be discussing the life of Kurt Cobain, describing his diagnosis based on the five axes of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders IV TR, and what his possible treatment could have been, all through a psychodynamic point of view.... [tags: Psychology, Psychodynamic Model, Behaviors]
1510 words (4.3 pages)
- "I had a good marriage, and for that I'm grateful...but I've become hateful toward all humans in general only because it seems so easy for people to get along that have empathy." Kurt Cobain, in his 'suicide note', found next to his corpse on Friday, April 8th 1994, stated his hatred towards human society. Dead at 27, he remains among one of the most monumental and controversial lyrists in history. In spite of his tempestuous marriage with drug addict, Courtney Love, reckless drug abuse, and a childhood drained of emotion, Cobain escalated to become the epitome of a rockstar - an alluring misfit who spent every waking minute under surveillance by either drug officers or the Time magazine pap... [tags: Cobain Biography Musician Drugs]
1663 words (4.8 pages)
- Kurt Cobain On April 9th the world woke up to the news of Kurt Cobain's suicide. Those who followed the grundge music of Cobain's band, Nirvana, were angry, but not surprised. With songs such as "I Hate Myself and Want to Die" and constant references to suicide and drugs, suicide was the obvious explanation for his death. Kurt put it best when he said, "I'm thought of as this pissy, complaining, freaked-out schizophrenic who wants to kill himself all the time." (Bozza) To many people, Cobain just joined the club of rock stars who self-destructed.... [tags: Papers]
1584 words (4.5 pages)
- Many people have their own theories about the 5th of April is 1994, for those of you who don't, know that this is the day Kurt Kobain's body was found in the garage of his home. Some critics have come to the conclusion that Kurt had tried to make himself a legend by killing himself. But such ideas seem to overshadow the tragedy of the death of one the most popular and influential musicians of the 1990's. (Melody Makers, web2.epnet.com 12/08/2001) There is no question of Kurt Cobain's death.... [tags: essays research papers]
584 words (1.7 pages)
- Kurt Cobain The number one cause of death in teens is suicide. Looking back to one of the most commonly known and most devistating suicides, of Kurt Cobain lead singer of the former band Nirvana. In his time of music he had the world in his hands. He used personal turmoil as fuel for great music. Suprisingly, he seemed unusually tortured by success. The author of Come As You Are: The Story of Nirvana said, "He was a very bright, sweet, generous, and caring person, perhaps a little too sweet and sensitive for the business he was in." One of Cobain's biggest worries was that his band had sold out.... [tags: essays research papers]
929 words (2.7 pages)
- Kurt Cobain A look Into the Life and Career of a Legend; A Proposal Kurt Donald Cobain was the lead singer/songwriter of the band Nirvana, until April 5 1994 when he committed suicide. Troubled by depression, chronic stomach problems, and an addiction to heroin, his ailments in his personal life showed through in his music. His music evolved from the hard "punk" sound of their first album, to the intelligent "tell all" tales of his fourth and final album In Utero. Through his music he changed an era of “lost souls”, to a generation with a vision of who they were.... [tags: essays research papers]
1022 words (2.9 pages)
A friend of Kurt's, Daniel House said, "When Nirvana started catching on he was sort of bewildered. His music was so personal it amazed him when people came out in droves to hear it."
Around the same time Kurt decided to get married to Courtney Love, lead singer of alternative band, Hole. Their marrage was in Waikiki, Hawaii on February 24, 1992. They shared many common interests such as drugs, love, and great music.
Six months after their wedding they had a baby girl, they named her Frances Bean Cobain. Her middle named derived from the shape of her body on the sonogram. In interviews Cobain presented himself as a happy man, he said that his daughter was the "best drug" he ever had.
A month after the birth of baby cobain, Nirvana was invited to play at the 1992 MTV music awards. They performed their well known hit Lithium and took home two awards that night. At the '93 awards Nirvana won "Best Alternative Video Award." Nirvana performed twice on Saturday night live in their time. In 1993 they recorded Mtv Unplugged, which wasn't released till after his death.
The last weeks of Cobain's life were filled with turmoil and angiush. Courtney gathered friends and doctors to try to scare Kurt into getting help for his drug problem through interventions. After foolishly mixing champagne and tranquilizers he lapsed into a coma in Rome, a failed suicide attempt. He spent several days in the hospital until willfully leaving. Its reported that immediately following the departure of hospital Kurt purchased a gun. He was missing 6 days. He was found sprawled on the floor of the Seattle Cobain home, dead, gun still pointing to his chin. On a counter nearby was a suicide letter addressed to his fans, wife and baby, made out in red ink. He had been dead 3 days.
In result of his tragic death hundreds of people gathered in seattle where the devastated widow, Courtney, read certain parts of the suicide note over microphones. The media went wild and some obsessed fans commited suicide in tribute.
The slight soft-spoken Cobain will be remembered as the architect of grunge. He's responsible for the most creative rock music of the last decade. In his music he didn't communicate in complete sentences or elaborate arguments, his lyrics were a stream of conscieness insights to the short attention span of his audience. Conterary to the plan Kurt had for his life, he became rich and famous and carried the banner for this generation of rebellious teens. To some kurt was a depressed heroin addict, to others just a singer, but to some an example. There is a little Kurt Cobain in all of us.
Kurt Cobain had a hard life and he took the easy way out. He had a wife he loved, a daughter he worshipped, and millions of adoring fans around the world. We'll always have his music and forever will remember him.