Essay PreviewMore ↓
I never in life want to see you again! Door slams. Mother breaks down and cries again. She lies down in her room. Her son lies beside her to comfort her. Mom rubbed him, kissed, and told him she loved him. She woke him up in the morning; he gathered his pajamas from the edge of the bed and on the floor. Mom today was extremely happy this morning. Dad no longer being around and me taking his place was just the thing that mom needed.
Are there true causes to why there is a desire to want to have sexual preferences with someone younger, vulnerable, and also in the family?
This is stereotyped as incest or incestuous relationship. A number of thing depression, obsession, passiveness and many others could cause this. When an offender tries to pursue this type of relationship, he or she may use bribing, manipulating situations and or threating action to get what they are after. Once the relationship is started. The victim will reject and will want to expedite the situation because he/she will begin to feel that this is not normal. The victimizer is afraid to stop because as long as he/she know that it is a secret, they are safe; since, it is lawfully wrong and may cause mental disturbance with the child for life.
Father-daughter incest is responsible for 70-90 percent of incestuous relationships, yet this may seem like the only type of incest although there are others: Mother-son incest, the son wanting to keep the mother happy after a separation, divorcee or death can cause this. The son feels as though he must uphold the responsibilities of a fatherly figure. While the son is innocently trying to help the mother, she is taking advantage of the generosity given by her son.
Father-son incest is usually caused by a troublesome or psychotic father figure, though it is not noticeable or violent. It may begin with mutual fondling, masturbation, oral genital contact, or exposures. This type of incestuous relationship is not found very often, it is considered to be breaking two taboos – first the molestation of a child, and second homosexuality. In this case homosexuality is considered to be unimportant as part of the motivation.
Mother – daughter incest is the least reported type of incest, studies show that 97 percent of ht e offenders are men. The 3 percent involve mother-son and mother-daughter relationships.
How to Cite this Page
"Incest." 123HelpMe.com. 23 Mar 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Demographics The most common pattern is that the older sibling becomes the abuser of the younger sibling, often against his or her will. In many cases, both parents were inaccessible. The fathers were deceased, or had abandoned their families after the birth of the child. The mothers were non-available because of drug addiction, alcoholism and/or mental illness. Further, families with non-divorced parents were characterized by parents engaged in extramarital affairs and exposing the children to a sexual climate.... [tags: sexual abuse, social work cases]
1311 words (3.7 pages)
- One can begin the discussion on the theme of incest in ‘The Duchess of Malfi’ by understanding the social conception of ‘incest’. Talcott Parsons says-“ it is not so much the prohibition of incest in its negative aspect(maintaining sexual relations) …(Instead) Incest is withdrawal from the obligation to contribute to the formation and maintenance of supra-familial bonds on which major economic, political and religious functions of the society are dependent.” Ferdinand’s incestuous behaviour towards the duchess follows the similar pattern pointed above ,i.e., Ferdinand’s aim is not the achievement of sexual relations with his sister.... [tags: Literary Analysis]
880 words (2.5 pages)
- In my readings of Hamlet, sexism was a immense element in the story. It is not fairly unambiguous where the incest comes in and who is involved, but the unorthodox relationships that have taken place shows how things were during the Elizabethan Age, or were they. My goal in this paper is to research the gender roles between the males and females in the story and to prove how women were treated during these times, and to determine who was involved in incest and sexism. The characters in focus will be Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, and son of the deceased King Hamlet; Polonius, counselor to Claudius; Laertes, Polonius’ son who has returned home due to King Hamlet’s death; Gertrude, Hamlet’s mother... [tags: Shakespeare, literary analysis]
1034 words (3 pages)
- Eugene O'Neill, an American play writer, is the author of Mourning becomes Electra, one of the most controversial plays in American history. O'Neill had been happily married at one time, but his marriage fell apart and it ended in divorce. During this time, O'Neill became enthralled with the psychoanalytical view on life, which continued to haunt him for most of his life. After the divorce, O'Neill remarried, but was still fascinated with psychoanalytical views. His obsession with such views became bluntly palpable with the publication of Mourning Becomes Electra, where he "compasses the Oedipus complex, the Electra complex, female sexuality, penis envy, castration anxiety, the uncanny, and... [tags: Literary Analysis ]
1311 words (3.7 pages)
- <a href="http://www.geocities.com/vaksam/">Sam Vaknin's Psychology, Philosophy, Economics and Foreign Affairs Web Sites Incest is not such a clear-cut matter as it has been made out to be over millennia of taboos. Many participants claim to have enjoyed the act and its physical and emotional consequences. It is often the result of seduction. In some cases, two consenting and fully informed adults are involved. Many types of relationships, which are defined as incestuous, are between genetically unrelated parties (a stepfather and a daughter), or between fictive kin or between classificatory kin (that belong to the same matriline or patriline).... [tags: essays research papers]
1484 words (4.2 pages)
- Incest Incest is one of the most interesting taboos of our time. The definition of incest is a highly controversial topic. Yet, the definition of incest is one of the most important definitions for the people involved, though the law's and psychologists' meanings are not much the same. Incest needs to be similarly defined for the incestuous parties, both by the law and by psychologists. The definition of incest should be determined by the cases of incest. The people who commit incest, and the types of incest should be considered when making this definition for the law.... [tags: essays research papers]
1349 words (3.9 pages)
- “INCEST” I never in life want to see you again. Door slams. Mother breaks down and cries again. She lies down in her room. Her son lies beside her to comfort her. Mom rubbed him, kissed, and told him she loved him. She woke him up in the morning; he gathered his pajamas from the edge of the bed and on the floor. Mom today was extremely happy this morning. Dad no longer being around and me taking his place was just the thing that mom needed. Are there true causes to why there is a desire to want to have sexual preferences with someone younger, vulnerable, and also in the family.... [tags: essays research papers]
1532 words (4.4 pages)
- The Law of the Father: The Appearance of Incest in Gothic Fiction In her book Deadly Secrets Anne Williams says that "gothic escape fictions provide a virtual reality, and experimental world in which the repressed -- especially the female in all its guises -- might be realized" (96). Society in the eighteenth century operated under staunch patriarchal control which has been dubbed by critics like Lacan as "The Law of the Father". The Law of the father, according to Lacan, is founded on the distinction between male and female and involves the repression of all that is female.... [tags: Law of the Father Anne Williams]
802 words (2.3 pages)
- Incest in Greek Mythology Incest in Greek mythology was a common occurrence. Part of the reason is that the gods themselves set the example, and since everything that happened in society was the result of the passion of the gods, this, of course, gave the characters in the Greek plays the opportunity to also lust after their children and relatives. While the story of Oedipus the King is the delineating play on the subject, Greek mythology is full of incestuous relationships. The gods who inspired the love and hate relationships among families include Hermes, who used his magical use of language to lure the feelings of his brother Apollo away from jealousy to love.... [tags: Exploratory Essays Research Papers]
1764 words (5 pages)
- Shady characters permeate this film, but they can be easily forgotten under the thick melodrama that sweeps you into the storyline. Perhaps the most disturbing character to me was Dr. Tower. I mean, really, who is this guy. From the beginning I could detect a kind of strange dynamic between Cassie and her father. After she and Parris swim together as children, she says that if her father finds out she's been swimming with Parris, he would "take a switch" to her. At first I thought maybe he was strict about her coming straight home from school or something, but as soon as I heard about the mother staying in the home all of the time, it became more clear.... [tags: essays research papers]
542 words (1.5 pages)
Extended – Family applies not only to step – parents but too uncles, aunts, nieces and nephews. The first concern is that, is there an age difference. Two cousins close in age to one another, experimenting with each other on a summer vacation or a weekend visit, is not considered harmful. However, a sixteen-year-old uncle bribing his eight-year-old niece to mutual masturbation is not part of the normal growth and development for either person. Second the living situation is important, if the incestuous relatives live within the household. In the extended family the most common thing is the Grandfather-granddaughter incest (since) the offender is a grandfather and is considered to be nonsexual). If he married or has a widow he is no longer to be considered sexually active, and no one would ever suspect him as an offender of such a crime. The reason this may come about is that the Grandfather is no longer feeling that he is upholding his reputation as once he did when he was younger, and unable to cope with the aging process. He wants to have companionship and did not have to worry of rejection and or disapproval. He confides in someone who likes to be around him and thinks that he is fun to be around.
Sibling incest is considered to be more widespread than father–daughter incest. Though there is no reliable information about how deep the situation evolves. There are three types of sibling incest: older brother – younger sister incest, older sister – younger brother incest, and same sex incest. The older brother – younger sister parallels the father-daughter symptoms. The older sister – younger brother is caused by her being intimidated by her peers. The same-sex incest is considered to be normal until the age of seven is reached.
In these different types of incest there are two types overt and covert. Overt incest takes place when there is actual sexual contact between the incestuous ones. Covert is the type when a child is forced to watch pornographic movies, look at magazines with pornography within, and or having pictures taken while undressing, and being watched while bathing.
This type of misconduct amongst parents begins when peer have low opinions of themselves, even when they have a good paying job and everything is going in their favor. They feel as though there is a lack of control on their sexual and emotional lives, and wish to find comfort within. Sometimes the use of alcohol and drugs lower self-control, which lead to sexual abuse.
The reaction is different because the victim may feel betrayed by someone they love, loss of trust. Victims blame themselves for partaking in the incestuous event and are made to feel guilty by having to bear the burden of being able to tell no one. This also brings the victims personal opinion down about themselves because they have been entangled in an unusual circumstance to where as they may self-destruct or become disoriented by being involved. This could also lead to cause physical problems as in self destruction, committing suicide, overeating, drugs, alcohol, prostitution, fear of dating, and starting incest in their own family. When a person is noticed for excessive bathing, eating, lack of eating, fear of certain people, nightmares and or problems of sleeping, excessive crying, running away from home, and refusal to talk to friends are signs of an incest victim and or effects of one. When the victim is alone he/she finds comfort in reading a book it tends to distract the readers mind off of what is really happening to them.
Th offender is not truly effected, except by the fact that they are in a deficit and has caused a monstrosity for the victim and him/herself. All other offender would like is to try to keep this between the victim and them. That is basically the only worry that the offender has whatsoever. The offender by this time is considered to mentally unstable.
Instinct will play a strong role in how incest is carried throughout the family. Father –daughter incest could be interpreted as older brother – younger sister incest. The father may be having an incestuous relationship with his daughter and the son also. Saying that nether one of them knows about he other, this type of thing may seem as a natural feeling to the young girl. She becoming accustomed to the brother and the father sexual activities upon her. Since this is happening to her at the same time she does not know any other standards to follow, this is her life and she believes that this behavior is acceptable in life (for she knows not the difference in right or wrong upraising). The same thing with mother-son and older sister – younger brother incest. The son will soon grow up to continue this pattern and teach it to his future family if he is not corrected before marriage.
The initiation of sibling abuse is from being isolated from his/her parent(s). When the offense is committed he/she is reliving stress, humiliation, and confinement. This could also mutual relationship between the both. The victimizer will mostly start because they are not confident in themselves to find anyone amongst his or her peers.
This type of relationship can be avoided if there is good timely communications that occurs regularly in the household. It will help the parents and children to understand what is going on in the household, and teach their children or child how to respond to inappropriate questions, comments, touching, hugging, fondling, patting, and kissing. The most important are the type of games that are allowed to be played, and what games should never be played regardless of the circumstances of others.
When everything is all over, the family must learn how to recuperate and have an emotional standpoint of view. The task of reconciliation after such a betrayal is rather difficult to commence to especially if the member moves back into the household, but normally, they do not return back to that same environment; they try to start a new life
Capps, Donald, (1997) Religion, Society, and Psychoanalysis-Readings in Contemporary Theory, Westview Press
Goodwin, Jean, (1946) Sexual Abuse-Incest Victims and Their Families,
Finkelhor, David (1986) A Sourcebook on child sexual abuse,
Irvine, Janice M: (1990) Disorders of Desire-Sex and Gender in Modern Sexology; Temple University Press
Maisch, Herbert, (1972) Incest-The Library of Sexual Behaviour,
Stein and Day Publisher