Essay PreviewMore ↓
of fake IDs, minors are able to obtain things they would not be able to get without a fake
id, thus increasing the use of alcohol (going to bars), and underage smoking. It also
increases other things that minors would not be able to do, such as get into over 18 clubs,
R rated movies, buy spraypaint and weaponry such as boxcutters.
The problems of the underage youth using fake IDs to buy substances, and do
things that they would normally not be able to do without the use of a fake ID, is an age
old problem. With the help of computers and scanners, making fake IDs is simple, and the
results are usually high quality.1 Computer technology offers rich possibilities for fraud.
A document scanner can "read" a picture and "draw" a copy onto the memory of the
computer. Laser techniques are used to convert the image to digital data. A copying
machine developed by Xerox for the Department of Defense as a tool in high-speed map
making can also make good copies of driver's licenses. It is also possible to rearrange
images on a computer. Document scanners and fast color printers make it easy to fake
images and documents. Through digital retouching, computer-generated images can be
combined in new ways, unwanted images can be deleted (such as UNDER 21 written on a
license), and colors and fonts can be added and changed. What is usually changed on a
fake ID used by a teenager is the birthday, thus making the person older then they are.
Although many states offer ID cards with holograms, double pictures of the person, and
other features that thwart alterations and reproduction of the ID cards, the use of
fraudulent identification is increasing in the United States.2
Obtaining ID cards is incredibly easy for an underage teenager. They can be
obtained from older siblings, friends, and relatives. Another thing that underage people do
is buy a friend's ID who is over the age of 18 or 21, and have them report it stolen. In
addition to that, there are stores where you can go to buy fake IDs. On the web, you can
just type in www.fake-id.org and you have access to buy fake IDs. When buying a fake id,
the store or webpage usually has a disclaimer saying they will not be held liable for your
actions, and that the ID is a "novelty card". Before entering most "how to make/buy fake
How to Cite this Page
"How Do Fake IDs Assist In The Corruption Of Minors." 123HelpMe.com. 28 Feb 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Fake ID Just like many college students, Dana and her friends decided to go to a bar one Saturday night. The problem: Not everyone in their group was old enough to enter. The solution: Use fake ID obtained through a friend. So Dana and her friends used fake IDs to enter the bar without a problem, or so they thought. Later that night, police raided the bar. Dana's ID was confiscated and she was later arrested. It seems like everyone wants to be a different age. Many teenagers want to be either 18 or 21 so they can buy cigarettes or alcohol.... [tags: essays research papers]
592 words (1.7 pages)
- Ethically as we Americans have defined is not on the minds of these executives of the cigarette firms. Our society has made it ethically and legally wrong to sell cigarettes to a minor. These companies located in the United States adhere to the laws and ethical issues within our borders, so what is the difference when they practice these unethical business transactions in smaller countries. These smaller, less developed countries do not have the technology and understanding to disallow the sale of cigarettes to minors.... [tags: Selling Cigarrettes to Minors]
612 words (1.7 pages)
- Abortion is a very sensitive, yet popular, topic that is plaguing the United States. According to Merriam-Webster, abortion is, “A medical procedure used to end a pregnancy and cause the death of a fetus.” (n.d.). According to Griffin-Carlson &Mackin (1993), “In 1988, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reported that there were 1,371,285 abortions in the United States, 25% of which were obtained by women under 19. Researches at the National Center for Health Statistics estimated that of the 1.1 million pregnancies among teenagers in 1981, 40% ended in abortion, 13% in miscarriage, and 47% in live births (p.... [tags: unwanted pregnancies in minors]
1509 words (4.3 pages)
- Suppression of Individuality in Radiohead's, Fake Plastic Trees "Fake Plastic Trees" criticizes how modern society stifles individuality and forces people to swallow idealized conceptions of how life should be. The whole song centers on the idea that humans, either through their own fallibility or through society's relentlessness, easily and obliviously mold their lives according to the unspoken standards they set on themselves. The result is a shallow, artificial, "fake plastic" living that perpetuates itself and destroys uniqueness.... [tags: Radiohead Fake Plastic Trees Essays]
789 words (2.3 pages)
- Are You Fake or Real. If you were to think of a definition to identify someone country how would you label them. When people get characterized as ‘Country,’ they tend to be identified as a couple different things. One of the ways I found was a person who lives in the middle of know where, typically drives an truck, likes to go hunting, mudding, and fishing. The second way is as “farmer,” and the third way is “people raised in a rural environment.” This is all wrong in my personal views. Country folk are far more then what they appear to be.... [tags: Meaning of life, Personal life, By the Way]
1072 words (3.1 pages)
- Horizontal integration consists of expanding a service through buying the competence or joining them to create a stronger company that provides the same service. Vertical integration is when a company creates or manages its own providers or created or manages the distribution services. When we think, how a healthcare facility works, we can easily imagine the concept of a human body, going from head to the toes. In the same ways, healthcare facilities need a network of providers in almost every healthcare service.... [tags: Medicine, Health care, Managed care]
707 words (2 pages)
- In order to study quantitative applications, we studied the Gonzaga General Survey that ran from February 2nd, 2016 to February 17th, 2016. The organizers contacted 1,493 students to participate, but only 415 students provided enough information to be included in the final data set. The three variables we selected included gender, the number of students that used a fake ID at Gonzaga, and the number of students that believe there is less sexual assault on campus because we have no Greek system. Our first hypothesis is that men are more likely to use a fake ID at GU than women.... [tags: Sociology, Gender, Rape, Sexual intercourse]
728 words (2.1 pages)
- “Prison is no place for anybody to start off at. This is where everybody ends up and they end up being a loser in life. This is where the ball game begins and only the tough survive” (“Prison”). There are approximately 2,500 prisoners serving life without parole sentences for homicide committed when they were under the age 18. More than 2,000 of them received that sentence as a result of a mandatory sentencing scheme (“US”). State laws call for a mandatory sentence of life without parole for those convicted of a felony murder.... [tags: state laws, mandatory sentences, life sentences]
1362 words (3.9 pages)
- ABOUT 10,000 people a week go to The Rack, a bar in Boston favored by sports stars, including members of the New England Patriots. One by one, they hand over their driver's licenses to a doorman, who swipes them through a sleek black machine. If a license is valid and its holder is over 21, a red light blinks and the patron is waved through. But most of the customers are not aware that it also pulls up the name, address, birth date and other personal details from a data strip on the back of the license.... [tags: essays research papers]
1768 words (5.1 pages)
- Organizations are more concerned about computer security, as most information now is stored in databases, and most systems are connected to the Internet. Use of Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS) is one of the factors companies should consider when planning their information security policy. IDS is important to protect sensitive information, to meet laws and regulations and to prevent economic loss, although in some cases IDS implementation is no economically viable. To be able to determine if an implementation of an IDS is necessary some factors must be taken into consideration, such as advantages and disadvantages, economy, laws and regulations.... [tags: Networks Telecommunications]
1672 words (4.8 pages)
individually responsible for my actions. I understand the act of downloading information
for the use in illegal activities is punishable by jail time, severe fines and a criminal record."
A traditional, and still popular, strategy is buying counterfeit out-of-state IDs from
underground dealers. Since the quality of buying out-of-state IDs can be poor, others
prefer altering their own expired driver's licenses in hopes of it looking more genuine. This
could be risky, though, if the person tampering with the ID isn't careful enough.
While possessing false identification is considered a misdemeanor in the eyes of the
law, most students are willing to overlook potential legal consequences in favor of the
benefits, such as admission into dance clubs and access to buy alcohol.
The standard police procedure for handling a fake ID is to appropriate the
counterfeit and mail it back to the DMV. In some police stations, the ID is either
destroyed, or kept for evidence. The possession of a fake ID is a misdemeanor in all the
states. A misdemeanor could result in a fine, jail time, or both, depending on a judge's
decision. The maximum sentence is one year in jail and a thousand dollar fine. However,
most people get off with one month and a small fine, normally around a $250 fine or up to
30 days in jail. Despite the potential legal punishments, most students are willing to take
the chance for the promise of a more exciting social life.
If purchase and public possession of alcohol by people under the age of 21 is
illegal in all 50 states, then how does the underage youth get possession of alcohol?3
Easily, they ask someone who has a fake ID to get it for them. The same goes for
cigarettes. Approximately 1/3 of teenagers who drink report that they can not buy their
own alcoholic beverages.4 The main problem of underage use of substances is that they
are able to get items, and things that they would not normally be able to obtain without the
use of a fake ID.
Manhattan is the number one "college town" with the most arrests of teenagers
using fake IDs to get into bars. The Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) agents working in
Manhattan checked drinkers' and buyers' ages throughout the city. Lawrence comes in
second with the arrest of minors using fake IDs to get into bars. Not only are there
consequences for underage minors that use fake IDs to buy alcohol, there are also
consequences for the businesses who violated their ABC license by selling alcohol to
minors with or without a fake ID. They could be fined a maximum of $1,000 per
Fake IDs are also used to buy cigarettes. Youth smoking is on the rise and is the
highest its been since 1980, according to a report last year from the National Institute on
Drug Abuse. As the number of teen smokers grew, so did calls for legislative action to
limit the access that youth had to tobacco. States and municipalities across the country --
Minnesota chief among them -- began enacting and enforcing laws to limit youth access.
The industry has held training sessions around the country. The training sessions consisted
of a two-hour class. Among other things, the two-hour class gave tips on spotting fake ID
cards and dealing with kids who get angry when they are denied cigarettes.