Essay PreviewMore ↓
Have you ever needed to have more than one home computer for you and your family? Do you have two or more computers, but need to copy and/or share files and/or programs between them, but you don’t know how? Do all of your computers need Internet access, but you don’t want to have a phone line installed for each of them? Well, you can do all of this. I know, because this is what I did at my home. After doing research I found that there are several advantages for having your own Home Computer Network. Following, are several reasons to do this in your house.
First, by having an in-home computer network, and a file server, you can have a central location for storing all of your information. So, if you need more than one computer to access certain information, such as fonts, financial files, games, etc., you can do this through the network. This also eliminates the need for copying files to floppy diskettes, hand-carrying them to the other computers, and copying the files one-floppy-at-a-time to each, individual computer. This would be a very slow process, compared to a fast network speed. Additionally, if one computer on your network crashes, you can move to another computer and continue your work. So, if you use your network and file server effectively, you can have a high degree of reliability, security, and efficiency.
Second, an in-home computer network can allow you to have only one Internet connection while giving Internet access to all computers on your network. This is very important if you only have one phone line. If you were to add an additional phone line for each computer you wanted to be connected to the Internet, well, let’s just say that this would be a costly alternative. By using your file server on your network, as a PROXY server, you can just use one phone line to connect to the Internet. All you have to do is install a small PROXY program that says, “I am the Internet connection for this network. Everybody aim their Internet browsing at me!” It’s really that simple. By doing this, it fools the other computers on your network into thinking that the file server IS the Internet. In addition to being connected via one phone line, and one computer, your file server can have what is called a “Firewall.” This eliminates outside intruders from invading your network.
How to Cite this Page
"Home Computer Network." 123HelpMe.com. 25 Feb 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction According to Dubrawsky and Faircloth, remote access denotes to the ability to access a computer, for instance, an office network computer or home computer, from a remote location. This permits personnel to work offsite, for example at home, or any other location, while employees still have to a distant network or computer. Remote access can be implemented by use of wide area network (WAN), local area network (LAN) or virtual private network (VPN). Either of these implementations allows access of systems and resources (Dubrawsky & Faircloth, 2007).... [tags: Virtual private network, Computer network, Wi-Fi]
1010 words (2.9 pages)
- 1.0 – Introduction: The chapter begins with a brief introduction to the coming of age of the computer network – which is a collection of autonomous computers interconnected by a single technology. It also details how each of the last few centuries has been dominated mainly by the introduction of a single new technology. Overall, it specifies what this book will entail, networking information, while mentioning several high-level topics we will go over – much like the World Wide Web. 1.1 – Uses of Computer Networks: Section 1.1 provides us with a fairly broad look at the current and potential uses for computer networks.... [tags: Computer network, Local area network]
1001 words (2.9 pages)
- Relentless cyber criminals, disgruntled current and former employees and careless users can bring down your computer networks and compromise data. Network security 's made up of the hardware, software, policies and procedures designed to defend against both internal and external threats to your company 's computer systems. Multiple layers of hardware and software can prevent threats from damaging computer networks, and stop them from spreading if they slip past your defenses. The most common threats to your systems: Malicious programs like viruses, worms, Trojan horses, spyware, malware, adware and botnets Zero-day and zero-hour attacks Hacker attacks Denial of Service (Do... [tags: Virtual private network, Computer network]
885 words (2.5 pages)
- 2 Introduction to Wireless Networks 2.1Basic Concepts of a Communication Network Initially, before defining that what is a wireless network and how it works, firstly it is important to know some basic concepts like: what is a communication network in general, the services that it offers, the needed components for operation and normally it’s necessary to know some information about wired network because it is difficult to understand how works a wireless network before knowing how works a wired network, and this will be described later below.... [tags: Wireless, Computer network, Wi-Fi]
1377 words (3.9 pages)
- Introduction Computer systems can be found in varying environments, these are; at home, in businesses, computer gaming, networking and real-time situations. Computers systems can be classified into the following categories; microcomputers, minicomputers, mainframes and super computers. Different environments will have certain computer systems which are appropriate for that setting. Microcomputers can be categorised as personal computers (PC’s) and mobile computers. Mobile computers can be devices such as laptops, PDA’s, smart phones and tablets.... [tags: Personal computer, Computer, Mainframe computer]
1500 words (4.3 pages)
- The first entry point for the APT was the employee’s home computer systems, through reconnaissance there was a known operational VPN linked to the LAN of the WI power grid computer network. The VPN was exploited through weak authentication captured by spoofing the victims SSID and using a man-in-the-middle attack to capture all traffic on the victim’s computer. Furthermore, other incriminating evidence was captured which was used to blackmail and recruit the insider. After, exploiting the log-on credentials, the APT installed RATs on the corporate network to monitor and have a persistence presence within the network.... [tags: Computer security, Security]
991 words (2.8 pages)
- Home Networks Home networks are common but may be difficult to setup and maintain. The difficulty users experience in setting up and maintaining their home network is challenging because of the numerous security threats that can exploit poorly configured and maintained network security (Ho et al, 2010). Users generally do not understand the normal encryption mechanism within wireless routers and access points. Additionally, users utilize weak security configuration within their wireless networks from lack cyber security knowledge.... [tags: Wireless access point, Wi-Fi, Wireless networking]
876 words (2.5 pages)
- I am proposing to write about becoming a network and computer systems administrator, one of the reasons I chose this field to do my final project on is I am already in this field of work and feel that I have a fairly good background and plenty of information to share with others. I started in the Information Technology field in 2000 as a System Support Specialist for a fairly good sized Insurance Company. I have always like computer and figuring out what makes them work so when I had the chance to apply for a job in this field I jumped at it.... [tags: Computer Job Careeres]
1581 words (4.5 pages)
- Bead Bar Network Introduction Setting up a network isn’t nearly as hard as it once was. The most important aspect about a proper network is it, according to Amaro (2007) “works to reduce labor and increase income.” The mission of any business is to offer a useful product, increase profits, and increase work force potential.... [tags: Business Computer Network]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- Network Security 1. What is network security. Network security has changed significantly over the past years. There is more and more data to monitor and analyze in order to detect the activity of your data and systems. Securing a network has many variables. Password authentication, network access, patches, anti-virus protection, intrusion detection, firewall and network monitoring tools are just a few of the things you can do to protect yourself. Threats to your network is becoming more complex and it is requiring lots of money, time and sacrifices to keep up with the growing amount of potential attacks.... [tags: Technology Security Network]
1619 words (4.6 pages)
Finally, if your file server is using Microsoft Windows NT Server, you have a high degree of file security. Windows NT is a government-approved, high-security operating system that will protect your files, or die trying! You can totally keep your kids out of your important financial records, while giving your spouse “read-only” rights. This keeps your kids from destroying them, and allows your spouse to read, but not change, your records (if this is what you wish). Windows NT is also a true 32-bit operating system that handles memory differently than other Windows operating systems. This makes it much more stable, which in turn, gives you more reliability and less crashes. With the NTFS (NT file system), the file structure is also different than Windows’ FAT or FAT32, which makes it more secure and impenetrable. And, similar to the above-mentioned firewall, only one virus software package is needed to protect your network. This can also be installed just on the file server. It will scan, protect and disinfect your entire network from one location. So, your data is safe and you have peace of mind with your Windows NT Server.
These are only a few of the reasons that having a home computer network will benefit your home. I know that it has helped my family to utilize our computers more effectively, keep our files safe, and save us money on Internet connections. I am quite confident that it will do the same for you.