Essay PreviewMore ↓
Friendship is the most wonderful relationship that anyone can have. Ideally a friend is a person who offers love and respect and will never leave or betray us. Friends can tell harsh truths when they must be told. There are four different types of friends: True friends, Convenient friends, Special interest friends, and historical friends. To have friendship is to have comfort. In times of crisis and depression, a friend is there to calm us and to help lift up our spirits.
There are many illustrations that show why a friend can be a great comforter. For example, if a student is going through a hard time at school, a friend can offer guidance, encouragement and support. A true friend is also someone who loves and respects us.
A boyfriend and a girlfriend desire to be with each other. They love each other so much that they just want to be with each other as much as possible. This bond is also present in a good friendship because it has genuine love. Also, as friends they respect each other. They try to avoid causing conflicts. They don’t make fun of each other, but treat each other with respect.
As friends, we all make sacrifices for each other. Some friends risk their lives for a friend. An example of this true friendship can be found in the movie, American Pie. Todd had a championship football game, but on the same day there was an All-State choir going on. Todd and his girlfriend were both into choir. He couldn’t be in two places at once, so he gave up his football game so that he could be with his girlfriend. Everyone on the football game looked up to him because he made a sacrifice to be with his girlfriend. When his girlfriend asked why. He responded, I did it for you. This shows friendship through a humble heart.
One of the most important details in a friendship is to never leave or forsake the other. A friend is also loyal, for example in the movie Lord of the Rings, Froto and Sam Wise had a wonderful fellowship. They lived in peace and in one accord. Also in the movie, gandalf sent froto on a mission. Froto was scared and he didn’t want to go on the journey by himself.
Gandalf brought frotos friend, Sam Wise, who went with him on the journey.
How to Cite this Page
"The Definition of Friendship." 123HelpMe.com. 17 Aug 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Friendship is the most wonderful relationship that anyone can have. Ideally a friend is a person who offers love and respect and will never leave or betray us. Friends can tell harsh truths when they must be told. There are four different types of friends: True friends, Convenient friends, Special interest friends, and historical friends. To have friendship is to have comfort. In times of crisis and depression, a friend is there to calm us and to help lift up our spirits. There are many illustrations that show why a friend can be a great comforter.... [tags: Definition Essays Friendship Essay]
869 words (2.5 pages)
- A Definition of a Friend Friendship is not simply a "relationship", knowing someone, conversing with that person, or dealing with that person in business, school, or in casual acquaintance. True friendship is not just a "relationship", but self-sacrificing love. A friend is also one who supports, sympathizes, and is a person in whom you can confide. There are unique qualities that a person must have to be considered a friend. An acquaintance is not automatically considered a friend. Just because you know someone does not mean there is an instant friendship.This does not mean that an acquaintance cannot change into a valued friendship.... [tags: Definition Friends Friendship Essays]
645 words (1.8 pages)
- What is a friend. A friend is someone who supports you, sympathizes with you, or patronizes a group. An easily definition of that would be a person you know, like and trust. In these tough times we count on friend to help us get through. I like to think of friendship as everlasting, but is friendship truly forever. Can miles drive you away from friends you made after graduating from places like high school or college. Just imagine walking across the stage and never seeing the people you graduated with.... [tags: friendship essay, definition]
626 words (1.8 pages)
- Definition of a Friend What is the definition of a friend. Many people have friends that they can count on for anything. Others have fair-weather friends that are there when they need something. There are countless definitions of what a friend could be. Someone who has a close personal relationship of mutual affection and trust with another is the dictionary's definition of a friend. Although there are many definitions of a friend, one knows the true meaning of friendship if they have ever had a friend.... [tags: Personal Essays Friendship Description Paps]
451 words (1.3 pages)
- There are many valuable things in life, but friendship may be the most valuable. To live life without the experience of friendship, is not living. Human interaction is a necessity to survival, but developed friendships are essential to the successful well being of anyone. Based upon the American Heritage Dictionary, the definition of a friend is, ?A person whom one knows, likes and trusts.. But to all, Friendship has no defined terminology. The definition of a friend, and friendship, is based upon oneself?s own notions.... [tags: Friendship Essays]
1034 words (3 pages)
- Friendships are one of the most important things you can get out of life. It’s something that everyone has to have because without it we would all go insane. Just think if no one talked to each other and we never made friends, this world would be a ticking time bomb. Studies say human need friendships and love to survive. So friendship is a big part of your life. There is no real definition of friendship, because there’s no one way you can define it. Friendships can mean many different things, depending on the person.... [tags: friendship essay, my best friend]
859 words (2.5 pages)
- My personal definition of friendship is it is the people you surround yourself with, have an amazing time with and laugh with. There are several qualities that go into a good friendship. There are often times when friends drift as well. My Friendships have played an extremely important role in my life. I do not know where I would be without my friendships. Friends to me are the people you know and enjoy being around and talking to. There are the best friends that are usually closer than the others and you are always with.... [tags: Friendship Essay, Personal Narrative]
478 words (1.4 pages)
- Friendship is a necessary aspect of every human’s life, as we are not self sufficient in and of ourselves (Other Selves, pg. 30). Despite its necessity, in some cases we are either forced or morally required to end relationships. When the trust between two parties has been broken, the loyalty of the friendship is soiled, and it is therefore a true and just action to end the friendship. First, let’s define what it means to be a friend. Friends can be described as: “an intimate associate, reliable, one who is not an enemy or foe, an ally, etc” (Webster’s, pg.... [tags: Friendship Essays]
1742 words (5 pages)
- Relationships and friendships have evolved significantly over the centuries. Quality of life was influenced by accepted practices related to theories of love and friendship. Exploring Medieval Europe and modern day approaches to relationships provide a clear illustration of how relationships have positively evolved over time. Theories of love and friendship have emerged from the early medieval period over 2000 years ago with notable theories from Plato and Aristotle. Plato (428-348 or 347 B.C.) was an ancient Greek Philosopher and pivotal figure in the history of western thought.... [tags: Relationships, Friendship Essays]
1084 words (3.1 pages)
- When I think about what makes someone a good friend, I think about all the characteristics of my own friends. My personal definition of a friend, is someone who is always looking out for me, and will help me if I’m in trouble. A friend has to be someone I trust and who trusts me in return. Another important characteristic in a friend is someone who I can talk to, and makes me laugh. One of the most important traits of a friend, is someone who will help you if you need it. One personal experience I had with this was when my friends, Mark, Steve, and I we all out driving around late at night.... [tags: Friendship Essays]
760 words (2.2 pages)
However, Sam Wise didn’t allow this to happen because he made a promise to him. He jumped into the ocean, and since he didn’t know how to swim, he sacrificed himself for his friend. Froto didn’t want Sam Wise to come because he feared that Sam could get injured.
At one point Froto snuck out to the boats and tried to leave Sam behind. Sam eventually caught up and even though he couldn’t swim. He went after Froto. Froto in the end was reassured of his friendship between Sam Wise himself. As Froto lifted Sam Wise by hand, they continued their quest. This movie showed me the true meaning of friendship.
As started earlier, we also have convenient friends. For example, a next-door neighbor can be helpful to us. When a neighboring family goes away, or is at work, a next-door neighbor can get their mail. If a neighbor’s child is sick at school, a caring neighbor can take care of the child until the parents come home.
There are also special interest friends. This kind of friendship is not that close. For example, special interest friends may like to go to the mall and shop. They are not intimate friends by they enjoy the companionship of shopping together. For example, a friend and I would often play tennis or watch movies together. Though we didn’t talk to each other that much, we would often get together to share activities. Our friendship wasn’t that intimate because were often busy.
All of us have friends who know us very well. These types of friends are called historical friends. Historical friends know about our past. For instance, a while back I had a friend who knew everything about me. We shared the good and bad times, and had many things in common. Now we have gone our separate ways, but we are an intimate part of each other’s past. For instance, this friend remembers the type of music that I used to listen to. Indeed, historical friends are a blessing to have.
Friends cannot read each other’s mind. I often think that my friends should know what I am thinking or feeling. But when I expect my friends to read my mind, I feel disappointed. Therefore, friends should just tell each other what is needed or what is on their mind, so that there won’t be any misunderstanding.