Essay PreviewMore ↓
"Friendship" is defined in Webster’s Dictionary as, the state of being friends, or a friendly feeling. Friends, on the other hand, are defined as people whom one knows well and is fond of. The second definition states a friend as an ally, supporter, or sympathizer.
My personal definition of "friendship" is a feeling or emotion expressed in such a way that another feels wanted and important, a relationship between a person or persons where everyone has some companion to talk to when their in need of one. I would define friends as people whom you can have several types of relations with and feel several emotions for that person. Someone that one might go to in time of need. However, friendships differ between people. For example, the friendship that someone may have between them and their parents would be different than the friendship they might have with someone their age. There are many different friendships that people have. Friendships can exist between best friends, friends, lovers, children, parents, siblings, and many more. All of these differ in some way.
Everyone has a best friend. Whether it be with a person or an animal.
How to Cite this Page
"The Definition of Friendship." 123HelpMe.com. 10 Dec 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Friendship is the most wonderful relationship that anyone can have. Ideally a friend is a person who offers love and respect and will never leave or betray us. Friends can tell harsh truths when they must be told. There are four different types of friends: True friends, Convenient friends, Special interest friends, and historical friends. To have friendship is to have comfort. In times of crisis and depression, a friend is there to calm us and to help lift up our spirits. There are many illustrations that show why a friend can be a great comforter.... [tags: Definition Essays Friendship Essay]
869 words (2.5 pages)
- The definition or meaning of friendship has changed in today’s society. We may think we have many “friends” but do people actually have real connections with their “friends”. We all enjoy the ability to stay informed on what is happening in our acquaintances life but does that mean we really care. To me the word of meaning of friendship cannot be defined in the dictionary. It is more of a feeling towards someone else just like love. The relationship I have with my best friend has come a long way.... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Friendship]
1060 words (3 pages)
- A Definition of a Friend Friendship is not simply a "relationship", knowing someone, conversing with that person, or dealing with that person in business, school, or in casual acquaintance. True friendship is not just a "relationship", but self-sacrificing love. A friend is also one who supports, sympathizes, and is a person in whom you can confide. There are unique qualities that a person must have to be considered a friend. An acquaintance is not automatically considered a friend. Just because you know someone does not mean there is an instant friendship.This does not mean that an acquaintance cannot change into a valued friendship.... [tags: Definition Friends Friendship Essays]
645 words (1.8 pages)
- What is a friend. A friend is someone who supports you, sympathizes with you, or patronizes a group. An easily definition of that would be a person you know, like and trust. In these tough times we count on friend to help us get through. I like to think of friendship as everlasting, but is friendship truly forever. Can miles drive you away from friends you made after graduating from places like high school or college. Just imagine walking across the stage and never seeing the people you graduated with.... [tags: friendship essay, definition]
626 words (1.8 pages)
- Friendship has evolved into a whole new abstract that not everyone can understand. With the technological advancements that we humans rely on so much, friendship has morphed into digital pixels that are released throughout the internet, rather than a one on one physical interaction. Does this mean that man has now created a new flaw in social interaction. Well not really, in fact the digital and physical are connected in more ways than one may think. Friendship. What does is it mean exactly. This is a question that has intrigued philosophers for many centuries, and I honestly do not think it is a question that can be answered.... [tags: Friendship, Sociology, Love]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- Friendship is central to one’s life because friends it can contribute towards shaping someone’s personality as well contribute to who we want to be in the contemporary society. Aristotle agreed in his Book VIII of the "Nichomachean Ethics" that friendship exists in three broader forms: friendship based on utility, that based on a shared appreciation of the good, and that based on pleasure (Percival, 2015). Similarly, Cicero, the Roman philosopher who lived in a different time and place, contended in his writing that "On Friendship": "Let us, then, lay down this law for friendship: we must not ask wrongful things, nor do them, if we are asked to" (Mews, 2009).... [tags: Friendship, Interpersonal relationship]
981 words (2.8 pages)
- Aristotle’s View on Friendship Human beings are designed to be social, it’s our nature. Starting at a young age we develop friendships. According to Webster dictionary, a friendship is, “The state of being friends; friendly relation, or attachment, to a person, or between persons.” Aristotle does into depth about why friendship is vital to human thriving, the true definition of friendship, as well as the different types of friendships that exist. The topic of Books VIII and IX of Aristotle’s Ethics is friendship.... [tags: Friendship, Virtue, Interpersonal relationship]
1005 words (2.9 pages)
- Definition of a Friend What is the definition of a friend. Many people have friends that they can count on for anything. Others have fair-weather friends that are there when they need something. There are countless definitions of what a friend could be. Someone who has a close personal relationship of mutual affection and trust with another is the dictionary's definition of a friend. Although there are many definitions of a friend, one knows the true meaning of friendship if they have ever had a friend.... [tags: Personal Essays Friendship Description Paps]
451 words (1.3 pages)
- There are many valuable things in life, but friendship may be the most valuable. To live life without the experience of friendship, is not living. Human interaction is a necessity to survival, but developed friendships are essential to the successful well being of anyone. Based upon the American Heritage Dictionary, the definition of a friend is, ?A person whom one knows, likes and trusts.. But to all, Friendship has no defined terminology. The definition of a friend, and friendship, is based upon oneself?s own notions.... [tags: Friendship Essays]
1034 words (3 pages)
- Friendship is a necessary aspect of every human’s life, as we are not self sufficient in and of ourselves (Other Selves, pg. 30). Despite its necessity, in some cases we are either forced or morally required to end relationships. When the trust between two parties has been broken, the loyalty of the friendship is soiled, and it is therefore a true and just action to end the friendship. First, let’s define what it means to be a friend. Friends can be described as: “an intimate associate, reliable, one who is not an enemy or foe, an ally, etc” (Webster’s, pg.... [tags: Friendship Essays]
1742 words (5 pages)
When you are in a relationship with someone, your lover will become you best friend. Most of the time that results because they are usually the ones you talk to the most so eventually the two become close and they find themselves expressing their feelings to each other without even realizing that they are becoming closer every time. But, if you aren’t married then you still probably go to your best friends and tell them everything going on between you and your lover.
Parents and children I think fit together on this subject. Parents and children create a great friendship over time. Throughout a child’s life and especially through their adolescent years, children tend to pull away from their parents making it hard to actually establish a friendship with them. Teenagers experience knew things that they don’t want their parents to know about or they just don’t feel comfortable talking to their parents about it. Parents are the same way. There are some things that children don’t need know about. However, over the years when a child’s parents become unable to take care of themselves, then the children take of them and all their bills and other things. Children learn to appreciate their parents in life and learn that they can turn
to their parents a lot for support. The same goes for being close to their siblings. After all the meanness gets out of them, they realize the greatest friends end up being the people they used to beat up on as kids.
Friendship is a crazy thing. Some people you consider closer than others but overall their all still great people. Friendship is an awesome thing to have with someone. That way you never feel alone or unimportant. A friend is someone who will give you strength and help you get through the hard times. They stand by your side and take up for you no matter what. Its a great thing!