Essay PreviewMore ↓
"Friendship" is defined in Webster’s Dictionary as, the state of being friends, or a friendly feeling. Friends, on the other hand, are defined as people whom one knows well and is fond of. The second definition states a friend as an ally, supporter, or sympathizer.
My personal definition of "friendship" is a feeling or emotion expressed in such a way that another feels wanted and important, a relationship between a person or persons where everyone has some companion to talk to when their in need of one. I would define friends as people whom you can have several types of relations with and feel several emotions for that person. Someone that one might go to in time of need. However, friendships differ between people. For example, the friendship that someone may have between them and their parents would be different than the friendship they might have with someone their age. There are many different friendships that people have. Friendships can exist between best friends, friends, lovers, children, parents, siblings, and many more. All of these differ in some way.
Everyone has a best friend. Whether it be with a person or an animal.
How to Cite this Page
"The Definition of Friendship." 123HelpMe.com. 14 Aug 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Friendship is the most wonderful relationship that anyone can have. Ideally a friend is a person who offers love and respect and will never leave or betray us. Friends can tell harsh truths when they must be told. There are four different types of friends: True friends, Convenient friends, Special interest friends, and historical friends. To have friendship is to have comfort. In times of crisis and depression, a friend is there to calm us and to help lift up our spirits. There are many illustrations that show why a friend can be a great comforter.... [tags: Definition Essays Friendship Essay]
869 words (2.5 pages)
- A Definition of a Friend Friendship is not simply a "relationship", knowing someone, conversing with that person, or dealing with that person in business, school, or in casual acquaintance. True friendship is not just a "relationship", but self-sacrificing love. A friend is also one who supports, sympathizes, and is a person in whom you can confide. There are unique qualities that a person must have to be considered a friend. An acquaintance is not automatically considered a friend. Just because you know someone does not mean there is an instant friendship.This does not mean that an acquaintance cannot change into a valued friendship.... [tags: Definition Friends Friendship Essays]
645 words (1.8 pages)
- What is a friend. A friend is someone who supports you, sympathizes with you, or patronizes a group. An easily definition of that would be a person you know, like and trust. In these tough times we count on friend to help us get through. I like to think of friendship as everlasting, but is friendship truly forever. Can miles drive you away from friends you made after graduating from places like high school or college. Just imagine walking across the stage and never seeing the people you graduated with.... [tags: friendship essay, definition]
626 words (1.8 pages)
- Definition of a Friend What is the definition of a friend. Many people have friends that they can count on for anything. Others have fair-weather friends that are there when they need something. There are countless definitions of what a friend could be. Someone who has a close personal relationship of mutual affection and trust with another is the dictionary's definition of a friend. Although there are many definitions of a friend, one knows the true meaning of friendship if they have ever had a friend.... [tags: Personal Essays Friendship Description Paps]
451 words (1.3 pages)
- There are many valuable things in life, but friendship may be the most valuable. To live life without the experience of friendship, is not living. Human interaction is a necessity to survival, but developed friendships are essential to the successful well being of anyone. Based upon the American Heritage Dictionary, the definition of a friend is, ?A person whom one knows, likes and trusts.. But to all, Friendship has no defined terminology. The definition of a friend, and friendship, is based upon oneself?s own notions.... [tags: Friendship Essays]
1034 words (3 pages)
- Friendships are one of the most important things you can get out of life. It’s something that everyone has to have because without it we would all go insane. Just think if no one talked to each other and we never made friends, this world would be a ticking time bomb. Studies say human need friendships and love to survive. So friendship is a big part of your life. There is no real definition of friendship, because there’s no one way you can define it. Friendships can mean many different things, depending on the person.... [tags: friendship essay, my best friend]
859 words (2.5 pages)
- My personal definition of friendship is it is the people you surround yourself with, have an amazing time with and laugh with. There are several qualities that go into a good friendship. There are often times when friends drift as well. My Friendships have played an extremely important role in my life. I do not know where I would be without my friendships. Friends to me are the people you know and enjoy being around and talking to. There are the best friends that are usually closer than the others and you are always with.... [tags: Friendship Essay, Personal Narrative]
478 words (1.4 pages)
- Friendship is a necessary aspect of every human’s life, as we are not self sufficient in and of ourselves (Other Selves, pg. 30). Despite its necessity, in some cases we are either forced or morally required to end relationships. When the trust between two parties has been broken, the loyalty of the friendship is soiled, and it is therefore a true and just action to end the friendship. First, let’s define what it means to be a friend. Friends can be described as: “an intimate associate, reliable, one who is not an enemy or foe, an ally, etc” (Webster’s, pg.... [tags: Friendship Essays]
1742 words (5 pages)
- Relationships and friendships have evolved significantly over the centuries. Quality of life was influenced by accepted practices related to theories of love and friendship. Exploring Medieval Europe and modern day approaches to relationships provide a clear illustration of how relationships have positively evolved over time. Theories of love and friendship have emerged from the early medieval period over 2000 years ago with notable theories from Plato and Aristotle. Plato (428-348 or 347 B.C.) was an ancient Greek Philosopher and pivotal figure in the history of western thought.... [tags: Relationships, Friendship Essays]
1084 words (3.1 pages)
- When I think about what makes someone a good friend, I think about all the characteristics of my own friends. My personal definition of a friend, is someone who is always looking out for me, and will help me if I’m in trouble. A friend has to be someone I trust and who trusts me in return. Another important characteristic in a friend is someone who I can talk to, and makes me laugh. One of the most important traits of a friend, is someone who will help you if you need it. One personal experience I had with this was when my friends, Mark, Steve, and I we all out driving around late at night.... [tags: Friendship Essays]
760 words (2.2 pages)
When you are in a relationship with someone, your lover will become you best friend. Most of the time that results because they are usually the ones you talk to the most so eventually the two become close and they find themselves expressing their feelings to each other without even realizing that they are becoming closer every time. But, if you aren’t married then you still probably go to your best friends and tell them everything going on between you and your lover.
Parents and children I think fit together on this subject. Parents and children create a great friendship over time. Throughout a child’s life and especially through their adolescent years, children tend to pull away from their parents making it hard to actually establish a friendship with them. Teenagers experience knew things that they don’t want their parents to know about or they just don’t feel comfortable talking to their parents about it. Parents are the same way. There are some things that children don’t need know about. However, over the years when a child’s parents become unable to take care of themselves, then the children take of them and all their bills and other things. Children learn to appreciate their parents in life and learn that they can turn
to their parents a lot for support. The same goes for being close to their siblings. After all the meanness gets out of them, they realize the greatest friends end up being the people they used to beat up on as kids.
Friendship is a crazy thing. Some people you consider closer than others but overall their all still great people. Friendship is an awesome thing to have with someone. That way you never feel alone or unimportant. A friend is someone who will give you strength and help you get through the hard times. They stand by your side and take up for you no matter what. Its a great thing!