Essay PreviewMore ↓
Often times, drugs are used to alter the state of mind of the victim of the date rape. Aside from the encouraged or almost forced intake of excessive alcohol, the most common drugs used are Rohypnol, Gamma Hydroxy Butyrate (GHB), and Ketamine Hydrochloride, these drugs referred to by a number of names, including “ActiveSex,” “Roofies,” “Ruffies,” “Roche,” “R-2,” “Rib,” and “Rope.” These drugs, commonly called date rape drugs, act very quickly and are odorless and tasteless, making them very difficult to detect when mixed in drinks or with other drugs. Some are able to render the victim nearly unconscious and greatly hinder memory, yet still leave the victim with enough consciousness that they can be responsive and can seem to others to not be under any seriously dangerous intoxication. However, in reality, the victim will become a passive participant, essentially defenseless but still able to play a role in what is happening in the environment. Also, the drugs will leave the body within 72 hours of ingestion and are not found in any routine toxicology screen or blood test so it is very difficult to determine whether or not the drugs have been used in a rape case unless the victim goes to the authorities almost immediately after the incident has occurred and explains the symptoms that they experienced that were likely to be caused by some type of drug that they did not knowingly take.
How to Cite this Page
"Date Rape." 123HelpMe.com. 23 Sep 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “Feminism has not prepared them for this,” states Camille Paglia in her essay “Rape: A Bigger Danger than Feminists Know.” The “them” in Paglia’s statement is referring to women, and she is discussing the topic of date rape. Susan Jacoby, on the other hand, writes in her article “Common Decency,” that feminism is not responsible for the rising cases of date rape, but that it is the men who are at fault. Paglia’s argument is insightful and accurate, but Jacoby’s writing is flawed and not well-researched.... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
931 words (2.7 pages)
- DATE RAPE Introduction I’m assuming that you 've all heard of date rape. Apart from knowing what the physical side of rape is, there are many students who aren 't aware of the facts in depth of what really happens in these circumstances. So today I’m going to briefly talk about this. I‘m sure you’ll all agree with me that it’s quite scary at any time learning about date rape, but so much worse if you become a victim. No one wants to be a victim, so it’s important that we know about the drugs used and furthermore, what to do if you become a victim.... [tags: Rape, Date rape drug, Sexual intercourse]
1011 words (2.9 pages)
- Rohypnol is a very strong benzodiazepine. It is ten times more powerful then any other benzodiazepine valium, the effects are felt very fast by any user. The drug usually works on the body for up to eighteen hours or (sometimes longer). Also during that time the user will feel many symptoms and some are: Drowsiness, disoriented, and they can loss consciousness. Most people when they take Rohypnol will suffer from a form of amnesia that prohibits memory formation for as long as they have the drug in the body.... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
936 words (2.7 pages)
- The newest and frightening form of drug induced rapes often involves date rape drugs. Date rape drugs makes the victims pass out and this makes them unable to resist what is happening to them and they cannot recall what happened to them during an assault. Date rape drugs also known as predator drugs are any drugs that are used in assisting in the execution of drug facilitated sexual assault. A drug facilitated sexual assault is date rape or acquaintance rape that a person does not agree to. Date rape drugs are used to assist sexual assault which includes sexual intercourse, rape, and attempted rape, touching inappropriately and putting something in the vagina since the victims do not under... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
1109 words (3.2 pages)
- Ecstasy, also known as MDMA, is a club drug that is extremely popular amongst high school and college students. Because club drugs can enhance enjoyment from touch they are used to increase intimacy and, worse, in rape situations. They are also used to stimulate psychedelic effects and to energize the user for the night. These designer drugs lead to the deaths of multiple people each year. Club drugs are created to induce a stimulant and psychedelic effect; however, these sensations are definitely not worth the addictive and disabling effects they may cause.... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
1081 words (3.1 pages)
- Rape defined is forcing sexual intercourse upon someone without his or her consent. This isn’t just a girls’ problem, boys have to deal with this too. According to the American Psychological Association, nearly one in ten girls and one in twenty boys say they have been raped or experienced some form of sexual assault (Atlanta Journal, 1). Almost more than half of rape victims know their attacker; they don’t report it or tell anybody. In most date rape cases, the attacker and victim have known each other for at least a year or even longer.... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
1750 words (5 pages)
- Date rape happens a lot when people are in college, more women than men but it’s still something that happens more than it should and I ask what are the colleges doing on campus to prevent this from happening to more college students. I think that colleges are trying to stop date rape from happening as best as they can but I also believe there is a lot more they could be doing to try and stop date rape. College students shouldn’t have to worry about going out on a date, party, or just to a bar for drinks with their friends.... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
972 words (2.8 pages)
- For twelve weeks Blurred Lines was at the top of the Billboard 100 charts and could be heard thumping from speakers everywhere. Sung by Robin Thicke and featuring prominent rappers T.I. Harris and Pharrell, this track was proclaimed the anthem for summer 2013 . At the surface the song is seemingly harmless with a cheery rhythmic beat and catchy lyrics, but when examining the song and accompanying music video, Blurred Lines is anything but harmless. Dubbed “that rape song” by many discerning listeners, Blurred Lines is a song about the blurred lines of consent.... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
943 words (2.7 pages)
- Date rape is not a rare incident. Surveys indicate that in 84% of rape cases, the victim knows the attacker, and 57% of rapes occur on dates (Warshaw 11). However, what is even more surprising than these high statistics is that most incidents of date rape go unreported. Several theories exist that try to explain this phenomenon. For example, many women may refuse to believe that their “friend” raped them. In fact, they could eventually convince themselves that it never happened. Additionally, there is confusion following the attack in which memory and emotions become mixed up.... [tags: The Tragedy of Date Rape]
2293 words (6.6 pages)
- Date Rape Every two minutes, somewhere in the world, someone is sexually assaulted. Of these approximately 248,000 victims, about 87,000 were victims of completed rape, and 70,000 were victims of sexual assault. Up to 4,315 pregnancies may have resulted from these attacks. Calculations based on the (National Crime Victimization Survey). Rape is often misunderstood. For one reason rapist are usually portrayed as a stranger, his motivation is entirely sexual, and the victim is always a young and sexy female.... [tags: Rape Sexual Assault Crimes Essays]
857 words (2.4 pages)
Although drugs can be used to limit mental capabilities and decision-making skills, date rape can still be avoided. The best and sometimes only thing that a victim can do to avoid date rape is to forcefully say, “No!” to the rapist and fight it off as much as possible. Even doing so, date rape can and often does still occur. As a victim to a date rape or even just an attempted date rape, or for that matter any type of rape at all, one must act as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, this does not happen often, as there are almost always numerous mixed feelings involved after a recent rape and the victim is fearful and hesitant to report it due to confusion and shame.
It is important for girls to know that relationships are not dangerous most of the time and can be a great source of love as long as the relationship is healthy and each partner has respect for the other. It is when the relationship is unhealthy that it should cause concern. In an unhealthy relationship, one member may be pressuring the other member into becoming more intimate than he or she would choose to on his or her own. Sex is not something that one person owes to another, but an agreement between two people, who have come to this decision on their own. Rape may involve sex, but it is not an act of passion or love. It is an act of violence and aggression and a serious crime that leads to disadvantages that greatly outweigh any benefit that may be the cause of a rapist’s ways.
Shuker-Haines, Francis. Everything You Need To Know About Date Rape. New York: The Rosen Publishing Group, Inc., 1990.