Essay PreviewMore ↓
The Automated Business Service System (ABSS) was designed for the military to process documents without wasting an enormous amount of time. The original way of processing a document involved typing the document up and visiting each person to sign off on it. Not only was this time consuming but there was no historical record available if the original document was lost or destroyed. ABSS uses an Oracle database and has changed the way finance processes documents forever.
Before I worked as the systems administrator for finance I was the budget analyst. I started using the Automated Business Service System (ABSS) over eight years ago and I think it is one of the best programs the Air Force has adopted. ABSS was written by a private company and has been implemented over multiple branches of the service. When the program first came on board at my base in Germany I was appointed as the functional administrator to maintain the program. I was in charge of maintaining all user accounts and assisting the resource advisors on base with building their flows. I also had to process documents for my program through ABSS. I had to quickly learn how to use this program as well as learn how the Oracle database stored all this pertinent data.
Before the system was put online I was trained for a few days on how to start building the database and getting the system ready for implementation. I would not responsible for maintaining the actual database. We had a remote database administrator that had the capability to access the database and ensure there were no problems. The actual server was in my office but I had no access to log into it. I could log into the program from any system and make changes to the database that way. The actual integrity of the database was not part of my duties. I had to start building all the accounts for each user within the database.
There was a lot of work to be accomplished before the database went live. Every person who needed to approve a document would have an account as well as a step in the process. A user would draft and submit a document. Each users account also had there electronic mailing address linked to it. This would allow the system to generate an e-mail and the next person in line to approve the document would be able to log into the system and take the appropriate action.
How to Cite this Page
"Databases." 123HelpMe.com. 02 Apr 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- During my research, I discovered three database trends. The first trend bridges relational and non-rational databases together. The second trend offers databases in the cloud as a service. Lastly, the third trend is the focus for increased database security. Each trend aims to improve databases and the capabilities and services that they provide due to increasing demand and expanding needs. The author discusses while relational databases will be around for quite a while, their overall peak may be on the decline due to non-relational databases.... [tags: Database, SQL, Relational model, Relation]
1077 words (3.1 pages)
- Databases, Forms, and Reports This paper will discuss databases, forms and reports. Why has the use of databases increased dramatically. What factors should be considered when designing a database and why. How would you go about designing forms and reports from scratch. In conclusion, a summation will be given along with closing thoughts. Database Usage A database is an organized collection of information or data. It is a collection of organized information in which a computer can easily select and display different fields of data.... [tags: Database Organization Design Essays]
843 words (2.4 pages)
- At Intel there are many databases that we use to do business. Most of the databases that we use are very complicated and require a lot of training and proficiency to surmount the program. In the clean room at Intel Corporation, we use a specific type of database to keep track of each and every microchip that we make. Since we make millions and millions of microchips and it takes many different machines, processes, and people to make these chips, the database has to be able to handle all of this information.... [tags: Work Business Database]
1126 words (3.2 pages)
- Introduction to Databases What is a database. A database is a collection of data structured and organized in a disciplined fashion so that it is possible to access information of interest as quickly as possible. (Newton, 193) In residential sales at TDS Metrocom, the database that is used almost exclusively is Microsoft Access. We use access to track incoming e-mails, keep track of individual and team performance statistics, inbound call volume, and we use Access to provision a customers order for Internet service to coincide with the provisioning of their phone service.... [tags: essays research papers]
1026 words (2.9 pages)
- Databases Databases are used on a daily basis amongst nearly every industry in the world. Regardless of what job function you currently work you can expect that the data you are using or inputting is coming from or being stored in some type of database. To understand databases you may want to consider how they impact your career, if they are consider enterprise tools, how they are designed and the effort required to do so, and the database architecture. Why this course will be important to your career Databases are all around us and by having some knowledge of how they are developed and what they can contribute to my current organization.... [tags: Technology]
921 words (2.6 pages)
- databases The Many Faces of Databases Large databases can contain hundreds of interrelated files. Fortunately a database management system can shield users from the complex inner workings of the system, providing them with only the information and commands they need to get their jobs done. In fact, a well-designed database puts on different faces for different classes of users. Downsizing and Decentralizing The earliest file management programs could only do batch processing, which required users to accumulate transactions and feed them into computers in large batches.... [tags: essays research papers]
699 words (2 pages)
- Databases in My Organization Abstract Databases have been in use since the early days of computing programs. An Information Technology services company, such as Getronics, not only utilizes databases for information and record management, it earns revenue by providing database management services. Getronics uses Microsoft SQL Server 2000 as its database software. The clients that contract Getronics for Information Technology services rely and depend on the accuracy and currency of the database information that is stored.... [tags: essays research papers]
965 words (2.8 pages)
- Abstract "Throughout your career, you will be directly or indirectly accessing a variety of databases, ranging from a simple roster of departmental employees to a fully integrated corporate database. You will probably access these databases using software called a database management system (DBMS). A DBMS consists of a group of programs that manipulate the database and provide an interface between the database and the user of the database and other application programs. A database, a DBMS, and the application programs that use the data in the database make up a database environment.... [tags: Software Microsoft Access Data]
977 words (2.8 pages)
- ABSTRACT The Automated Business Service System (ABSS) was designed for the military to process documents without wasting an enormous amount of time. The original way of processing a document involved typing the document up and visiting each person to sign off on it. Not only was this time consuming but there was no historical record available if the original document was lost or destroyed. ABSS uses an Oracle database and has changed the way finance processes documents forever. Before I worked as the systems administrator for finance I was the budget analyst.... [tags: essays research papers]
736 words (2.1 pages)
- Oracle Databases A new energy is rising within CNS. Over the past year, many members of our administrative computing team have been developing Oracle applications. It is a new challenge to both CNS and our clients. We journey up the learning curve together and over the trial-and-error hurdles. Each day offers a new opportunity to understand another concept or process. Some faculties and departments are already using Oracle applications in their day-to-day operations. As time goes by, more and more information users will be working with an application based on Oracle database technology.... [tags: Papers]
1555 words (4.4 pages)
The finance unit relies heavily on the storing of historical data. Whether a member is processing a travel voucher or the accounting section is approving a Miscellaneous Obligation Reporting Document (MORD), the documents need to be saved for an extended period of time. The old way of business, before ABSS, was just make a copy and stick is in a folder. On numerous occasions documents would be lost or destroyed and the budget office or disbursing section would be unable to prove something happen or would lose the authority to spend funds. This was unacceptable and had to be dealt with in a better way. When ABSS came on-line it was mandatory for all documents to be processed through the system. This was the solution to all the problems in dealing with document storage. As long as the database was not corrupt then a user would be able to see old documents. It was my job to ensure the database was backed up to tape. When ABSS was first implemented the databases were getting corrupt and the backups were very important. We could always load the prior day’s database and start over with the new business day. Over the years ABSS has improved a great deal. With every new version of Oracle we get a new version of ABSS. (ABSS website) I have been with ABSS for quite a few years and it just keeps getting stronger and stronger. The next version will be accessible from the internet and I will no longer have to load any software on the end users system. They will be able to access the Oracle database from any secure internet connection and take care of business.
Project Management On-Line Handbook.