Essay PreviewMore ↓
In order to resolve network related problems The Airframe Corporation (TAC) has decided to upgrade the existing network consisting of a mix of Token Ring and shred Ethernet hubs to a switched Ethernet network. The purpose of this paper is to discuss several aspects of the project plan for the upgrade. This discussion will be made in threes sections. Section one will include project definition, while section two will deal with work breakdown structure and estimated schedules, and section three will cover costing and risk analysis.
The project definition will include a background and statement of need, project objectives, the mission and goals or the project, the project approach, the project organization, and a task responsibility matrix. The work breakown structure (WBS) will consist of a WBS chart, a task flow and critical path, a project schedule, and project reporting. The costing and risk analysis will contain a cost plan, a project baseline, performance measures, project evaluation and reporting, and project termination.
Background and Statement of Need
The project team has identified several issues with the current network infrastructure. The first is the availability and cost of token ring hardware. Ethernet is the dominant network topology and is included on many devices at no cost. Equipment with token ring interfaces can be found but are much more expensive. Another problem is that the current hardware is about 10 years old and is experiencing increased maintenance costs. Another problem is that the majority of the existing cable plant does not meet minimal category 5 standards.
The project has been budgeted $200,000 for cable installation, labor and hardware and the timeframe for the project should not exceed six months. The network upgrade should be designed to support the companies needs for a minimum of seven years without major rework. The project will need to have minimal impact on the network operations, as a result much of the work will need to be accomplished after-hours or on weekends.
Mission and Goals of Project
The goals of the project are:
• Increase network availability to 99.999%.
• Complete project within budget.
• Complete project on time.
• Upgrade category 3 cable plant to category 5e or better.
The project manager will assemble a team of individuals with the appropriate skills. Network engineering will design and build the network. A cable vendor will be selected by network engineering. Platform engineering will upgrade clients and desktops.
Networking engineering will be responsible for selecting an equipment vendor, designing the network, locating a cable vendor, and identifying cable runs that need to be replaced.
How to Cite this Page
"Database Development." 123HelpMe.com. 07 Apr 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Network Upgrade In order to resolve network related problems The Airframe Corporation (TAC) has decided to upgrade the existing network consisting of a mix of Token Ring and shred Ethernet hubs to a switched Ethernet network. The purpose of this paper is to discuss several aspects of the project plan for the upgrade. This discussion will be made in threes sections. Section one will include project definition, while section two will deal with work breakdown structure and estimated schedules, and section three will cover costing and risk analysis.... [tags: essays research papers]
679 words (1.9 pages)
- ... Some key features of this model included the notion of distributed authorization administration, dynamic grant and revoke command of authorizations, and the use of views for supporting content-based authorizations. Also, the initial format of familiar commands for grant and revoke of authorizations that are today part of the SQL standard. Next research proposals have extended this basic model with a variety of features, such as negative authorization, role-based and task based authorization temporal authorization, and context-aware authorization.... [tags: access, steganography, authorization]
883 words (2.5 pages)
- The Development of the Centre for Migration Studies Irish Emigration Database In 1988 the Ulster American Folk Park (UAFP) near Omagh in Co Tyrone, Northern Ireland began to set up a computerised Irish Emigration Database (IED) in its library. This was a ground-breaking project at that time and was immediately beset by problems of all kinds, the details of which will be explained later. By 1997 the Folk Park’s library had expanded to become the Centre for Emigration Studies and eventually the Centre for Migration Studies (CMS).... [tags: Migration Ireland Essays]
5444 words (15.6 pages)
- Introduction: Database environment can be classified into three simple categories: a. Human: Database Administrator - They are responsible to monitor and maintain the databases in an organization. Systems Developers - They are responsible for the development of the computer applications which will talk to the database in do the necessary operations and display the results to the end users. b. Machine: User Interface - This is how the computer application looks and what the end user will use to interact.... [tags: human, machine, database]
1389 words (4 pages)
- This prototype database was designed to meet the general needs of users from a range of different backgrounds in relation to cemeteries and graveyards. The scenario is described as follows: A consortium of international archaeological and historical societies has collaborated in funding a multidisciplinary database of international historical graveyards whose history goes back at least 100 years. As the database will be used for research as well as town-planning by a wide variety of people, including historians, local councils, genealogists, sociologists and epidemiologists, it is anticipated that it will include not only information about the graveyards themselves, but also the buildin... [tags: Database]
1892 words (5.4 pages)
- Database Concepts, what are Databases all about. I am writing this paper to answer a few questions as part of my first assignment in a class designed to provide a better understanding of Database Concepts. There are many different types of databases, different implementations of databases, and different database software applications. So how does all this database stuff work. I have worked with databases for most of my professional career at many different levels. Sometimes as the user, entering data, retrieving information, and compiling reports.... [tags: Database Data]
1204 words (3.4 pages)
- Comparison Summary DBMS Server Comparison Supplement An Analysis Of The Strengths And Weaknesses Of The Big Six Database Servers. In 1991 I performed a thorough evaluation and comparison of the four major DBMSs at the time: Informix, Ingres, Oracle, and Sybase. This comparison was done for a client building a huge distributed database application, currently in its second phase of d evelopment, with the first phase running successfully country-wide. At that stage, the distinguishing criteria were query optimizers, triggers, views, and support for distributed databases.... [tags: Database DBMS]
1711 words (4.9 pages)
- 4D Database System In the company I work in the program we use was developed specifically for our company. In land development, there are a number of factors that need to be taken in consideration to keep track of lots and blocks within different subdivisions. As well as lots being bought and sold to companies and individuals. The database system we use is called Ginger, a custom database designed to achieve the following objectives for our company: 1. Replace our old database. 2. Combine date from the old database.... [tags: Database Software Data]
1027 words (2.9 pages)
- Relational Database Management System Oracle provides a flexible RDBMS called Oracle7. Using its features, you can store and manage data with all the advantages of a relational structure plus PL/SQL, an engine that provides you with the ability to store and execute program units. The server offers the options of retrieving data based on optimization techniques. It includes security features that control how a database is accessed and used. Other features include consistency and protection of data through locking mechanisms.... [tags: Database Data]
1093 words (3.1 pages)
- The Database Databases are becoming as common in the workplace as the stapler. Businesses use databases to keep track of payroll, vacations, inventory, and a multitude of other taske of which are to vast to mention here. Basically businesses use databases anytime a large amount of data must be stored in such a manor that it can easily be searched, categorized and recalled in different means that can be easily read and understood by the end user. Databases are used extensively where I work.... [tags: essays research papers]
761 words (2.2 pages)
Platform engineering will be responsible for identifying servers, PC's and printers that needs to be replaced and the replacement equipment. Platform engineering will be responsible for replacing the network interface cards (NIC) and configuring the server, PC or printer accordingly.
Procurement will be responsible for purchasing all needed equipment and developing a contract with the cable vendor.
The project team will be comprised of individuals from three departments which are Platform engineering, network engineering and procurement. Network engineering will be responsible for the network design and switch and router upgrades. Platform Engineering will be responsible for changes made to servers, printers and desktops. Procurement will be responsible for purchasing all equipment.
The following chart explains the high level tasks and the individual responsible for the task.
PROJECT MANAGER NETWORK ENGINEER NETWORK TECHNICIAN DESKTOP SUPPORT CABLE VENDOR PURCHASING
Kick off & Termination of the project Primary
ID cable to be replaced Secondary Primary
Determine amount of Ports in each closet Secondary Primary
ID Token Ring Devices Secondary Primary
Equipment List Secondary Primary
Procurement Secondary Secondary Primary
Cable Replacement Primary
Install, configure and test Network equipment Secondary Primary
Replace Token Ring interfaces Primary
Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
The project manager met with upper level management to discuss the resources needed to ensure the successful completion of the network upgrade. The project manager developed a hierarchical chart in order to identify the proper chain of command to follow to ensure securing each resource. The following chart discusses how each resource fits into the grand scheme of TAC.