Essay PreviewMore ↓
The National Football League was formed decades ago by the merger of two national leagues. The Super Bowl is the traditional season-end activity that crowns the national champion. Each team represented starts with one of the original leagues.The number of teams active in the NFL does not remain the same for longr.o. the game of professional football is big business and can be highly profitable. When the NFL announces that it has approved new expansion teams, there is intense competition among team less cities to attract one of the franchises. The game is profitable for team owners and for players, but it also is profitable for the cities in which teams are centered. It contributes to the local economy and enhances the stature of the city in where a team is located.
Of course teams and their organizations are made up of individuals, but the teams themselves tend to settle into characteristics of their own. Once established in reputation, the team can remain with it for years regardless of the changes that occur within and around it. Example can be seen in any NFL team. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are technically sound playing but very bad results. The team has been winning with much greater frequency in recent years, but it can expect to maintain the loser perception for years to come.
As teams take on their its own personality. Most of NFL teams relies rely on assessment of the number of games won compared to the number lost during a season or over a number of years. Teams also can be classified according to that personality, or at least according to the personality perceived by fans and the press. With the classification of good, average and bad. The Tennessee Titans will be used to show the good team the Minnesota Vikings will represent the average and the Dallas Cowboys will fill the role of bad.
The Tennessee Titans
The Titans provide a good example of how teams can change the perceptions that have built around them over the years. In the case of the Titans, the change was effected by moving to a new state, changing the team name, replacing personnel and replacing the coaching staff. The Titans hardly have the same team at all, but they formerly were the Houston Oilers. You should keep in mind that as the Oilers, the team had posted so many consecutive losing seasons that it had managed to destroy the reputation built during the winning years.
How to Cite this Page
"Classifying Three NFL Teams According To Attitude." 123HelpMe.com. 27 Feb 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Drug use is happening in the NFL and one of the most heavily used drugs is alcohol. This paper will analyze the effects of alcohol on players and discuss what the NFL can do to better combat the problems of alcohol usage and abuse. The NFL Substance Abuse Policy can be tweaked and modified so it more focused on helping the players, rather than disciplining them. In addition, the paper will discuss the sociological issues associated with NFL players abusing alcohol and the negative impacts this deviant behavior has on society.... [tags: drugs and alcohol in professional sports]
1655 words (4.7 pages)
- The Effect of the Instant Replay on NFL Officials The NFL can vote to keep instant replay out of the game every year, but the owners will never get rid of it. That's because like it or not, the NFL has instant replay. It comes courtesy of television and Jumbotron. And it's leaving the leagues officials vulnerable to widespread and immediate second-guessing from fans, coaches and players a net inside every stadium. The officials, in a matter speaking, are left working without. Seemingly on the verge of returning instant replay to the game earlier in the week, the owners at their annual meetings rejected the plan on Wednesday by three votes.... [tags: Papers]
577 words (1.6 pages)
- Information Technology Influences on NFL, NASCAR and Other Sports Information technology has influenced sports in many ways. Not only has it influenced sports in North America but also sports across the world. “In 1988, Stan Honey, Jerry Gepner, and Bill Squadron—three former executives at News Corp. and Fox Sports—founded Sportvision (http://www.sportvision.com). They used their extensive technology, sports production, and broadcast experience to create an innovative company that focuses on developing technology-based enhancements for the Internet, sports television, and new media platforms” (Shapiro).... [tags: Cause Effect Papers]
1212 words (3.5 pages)
- Why The United States Should Adopt European Sports Systems Today, the United States has a seemingly very solid and undoubtedly functional sports system for multiple sports like the NBA for basketball & the NFL for football, etc. Sports are the biggest entertainment for the American people and have been on top for as long as most of us can remember. Everyone watches sports, from children who dream to become top athletes and idolize the greatest players our leagues have ever known to adults who gather for parties around the television and religiously attend games cross country to show their support.... [tags: Leagues, Transfers, Teams]
877 words (2.5 pages)
- Introduction The sport of football is an anaerobic sport, which means the players heavily rely on The ATP-PC cycle for energy because the average football play lasts less than 10 seconds. Along with the short duration of play length there is typically long recover time. To be exact, each play lasts on average, 5.6 +/- 2.0 seconds with a work rest ratio of one to six (Rhea, Hunter & Hunter, 2006). The athletes that play football train to gain and maintain power, strength, hypertrophy, speed, and agility.... [tags: college football, nfl players, ncaa]
2873 words (8.2 pages)
- ... The Boston Celtics have traded away star players Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and all star point guard Rajon Rondo is out with a torn ACL. With a loaded draft class coming into the NBA next year losing seems like a good idea for the Celtics. Lets take a look at the games played by the Celtics this season. A stretch of ten games in November the Celtics record is 4-6 with three losses by more than ten points. However, the other seven games were all within ten points, which is considered a close game.... [tags: teams, players, coaches, fans, moral]
1493 words (4.3 pages)
- We all know the worst team in the NFL, the Raiders, but do we know the best. To your answer question the best team is the SanFrancisco 49ers, hands down. People may say they aren’t because of the 9 bad years they had. If you look back on their past success in the 1980’s and 2011-present you might think twice. The 49ers are the best ream in the NFL because of all the great success, great players, and great moments. One of the main reasons why the 49ers could be considered the best team in the National Football League is because they are tied for second place with the most superbowl victories.... [tags: San Francisco, superbowl, league]
707 words (2 pages)
- The Caribbean According to Three Writings Introduction The Caribbean is made up of many islands that were inhabited by many peoples speaking different languages and believing in different things. With the beginning of colonization, many more peoples speaking different languages and believing in different things claimed ownership over certain islands (in many cases nowhere near each other geographically). Under new "ownerships", the islands became involved in slave-trading. Each different colonizer of the islands chose to take slaves from different areas of western Africa, depending on where their "mother country’s" other colonies were located in Africa.... [tags: Caribbean History culture Essays]
1470 words (4.2 pages)
- The Beginning of the N.F.L. The year was 1920 and pro-football was in a state of confusion. The three main problems that led to all the confusion were, salaries rising, players jumping from team to team and the use of players still enrolled in college. So, on August 20, 1920, a group of men representing the four current pro teams met. When the day was done the American Professional Football Conference was born. The A.P.F.C. was formed to make one governing body over pro football. Then, on September 17, 1920, a second organizational meeting was held.... [tags: Art]
1006 words (2.9 pages)
- The Effects of Sports Teams and Stadiums on Cities What if a tax increase came to a city because of a sports team, would it be alright. Of course not, right. Well, consider being told as a tax payer and being told it will help the economy of city to build a stadium. However, a tax increase is never highly looked upon, and large companies sell extraordinary economic growth, and cannot produce the promise. Area political leaders, local community heads as well as owners of professional sports franchise sometimes claim that a pro sports stadium and teams are vital sources of positive economic growth in urban areas.... [tags: Economics Economy Sports Teams]
1504 words (4.3 pages)
The Titans began playing better in the 1998-1999 season. Though based in Nashville, the team has stressed from the beginning its intention to be the team of the hole state, that’s how they got there name. There are a few players remaining from the old Oilers, but most have stayed on the team since its to Tennessee.
The Titans had a winning season, but they will not be playing in the Super Bowl this year. The team had difficulty playing sound football during the playoffs, and the team was eliminated from Super Bowl consideration in Of course this is not what makes the team a good one. It is important to local fans that the home team wins frequently enough to keep their games interesting, but the Titans have other qualities that are far more stable. Head coach Jeff Fisher appears to be a man of truth who expects nothing less from each of the team's players. When the Titans lose, Fisher's reasoning is that the team did not play well enough to win. Neither he or any of the players or other coaches has been found to blame any outside influence for a Titans loss. Others whine about officiating, fan involvement, weather conditions or any other reason that can take the focus off the team's failure to take the ball into the end zone. The entire organization assumes responsibility for losses, but it is equally willing to credit opponents' abilities after Titan wins. The entire organization presents integrity, and it is reasonable to assume that quality is not only superficial.
The Minnesota Vikings
The Vikings is an old team that has been in Minnesota for decades. In former years, the Vikings could be counted on to make opponents understand they had been involved in a real game. Even when the Vikings could not come away with a win, the team generally puts forth a lot of effort.
The Vikings also provide example of the former winner willing however. The team made four appearances in the Super Bowl during the decade of the 1970s.
While the Vikings cannot be said to be good in the manner of the Titans, neither can they be said to be bad. The Vikings have the unappealing position of being only lukewarm. The team and its supporting organization seem to have resigned themselves to filling the role of a filler apparently without much any effort to improve the team's fate. The student should consider that the Vikings are not whiners either, but neither do they seem to understand that there is more they can do.
The Dallas Cowboys
So if neither the Titans nor Vikings are overt whiners, which team is? Lets look to the Dallas Cowboys as the example of the bad sort of NFL team. Confidence that grew to arrogance was the trademark during the final Landry years, but the Cowboys delivered on their outlook of themselves for most of that time. The Cowboys failed to make a Super Bowl appearance during the entire decade of the 1980s. After posting two consecutive losing seasons, head coach Tom Landry was replaced with another. It was then that player arrogance and dirty playing was used, and the collective attitude of the team has not much improved even though that coach had a short career with Dallas. The current coach has been able to lead the team to a greater number of official victories, but the Dallas Cowboys have had few wins of which they truly can be proud.
If the Cowboys fail to play well enough to win, viewers can count on hearing a lot of excuses following the game. Either the officiating was bad, the playing field was unfamiliar or the players too tired for whatever reason. It is an unusual day that the Cowboys will admit losing a game because the opponent played a better game. The Cowboys grasp of personal and team excuses prevents the team from improving results, of course. Neither players early January. or coaches seem to be able to understand this connection, and it is likely that Dallas will be quite capable of providing the "bad" example for years to come.
As football is a game and can be rather expensive entertainment for a family, and fans prefer being able to see the home team win. Wins and loses are not only posted in teams statistics, however. The Titans win every time one of the players takes part in a community charity event or admits to not playing to expectations