Essay PreviewMore ↓
The author of this letter asks, "Remember when boating was fun?" I would like to offer some insight to the person who wonders why he can no longer speed around our waters with reckless abandon.
There are many reasons to monitor "boating fun." The ecological reasons are numerous; irresponsible operation of motorized watercraft degrades our natural systems. For example, reckless boaters destroy seagrass beds, oyster beds and mangroves, which are vital nursery and feeding grounds for not only fish and birds, but are also essential to the existence of manatees, dolphins and sea turtles.
Mangroves are not only important to wildlife, but also to people. The Florida Department of Environmental Protection Web site says that unnecessary boat wakes are harmful to the mangroves and oyster beds that stabilize our shorelines and prevent erosion. Mangroves also filter and prevent pollution from entering our waterways. Ironically, wave action produced by boating "fun" may eventually erode and diminish the letter writer's own waterfront property and may call for additional spending on seawall maintenance!
Lastly, if you are still wondering why authorities are trying to "take the fun out of boating," here are a few interesting facts from the 2004 Florida Boating Accident Statistical Report from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission:
In 2004, the state of Florida registered a record-breaking 982,907 vessels. Consequently, boating fatalities increased by 6 percent over the previous year, with a reported 68 fatalities.
Pinellas County reported the highest number of boating accident fatalities at seven deaths.
Rental personal watercraft were involved in 43 percent of personal watercraft accidents statewide (but the author wonders why authorities pay close attention to these rented vessels).
Finally, according to the report, "41 percent of reported accidents were primarily caused by either carelessness/inattention or violation of a navigation rule.
How to Cite this Page
"Boating Fun." 123HelpMe.com. 26 Feb 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The first thing you should know is the physics behind a boat, seeing how you can't have a boating adventure without one. To keep it simple, let's check out the main thing you should know about a boat: Buoyancy. Buoyancy, by definition, is the upward force exerted by a liquid on any immersed object. If the force of the liquid on the object is greater than that of the object on the liquid then the object will float. In other words buoyancy is dependent upon the density of the liquid and the volume of the object submerged.... [tags: physics boat boating]
1131 words (3.2 pages)
- What is a hydrofoil. A hydrofoil is a watercraft that is supported on ski-like pontoons while in motion, with the bulk of the hull remaining entirely above the water (Encarta Encyclopedia 2002). Hydrofoils were first seen about in 1869. Emmanuel Denis Farcot was issued a patent on a boat that he had developed to go faster through the water because of less resistance. If you look at his design, he was using many little foils along the side of his boat to lift it out of the water in order to reduce the drag on the hull of the boat.... [tags: Hydrofoil Physics Boat Boating Watercraft]
1519 words (4.3 pages)
- Alison Bechdel 's "Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic" is an exciting autobiography with comics that bring her story to life. Alison Bechdel wrote this book about her childhood, the relationship she had with her father and one of the many things they shared in common, their sexuality. In addition to their common homosexuality, Alison and Bruce Bechdel share o b sessive compulsive tendencies and their artistic ways, even using her artistic language to describe the father daughter relationship they had, "I was Spartan to my father 's Athenian.... [tags: Fun Home, Homosexuality, LGBT, Family]
980 words (2.8 pages)
- The super-genre of what collectively can be called ‘comics’ represents a cultural phenomenon which has exploded in the last fifty-plus years onto the public scene. Evolving from newspaper strip comics to superhero stories in paperback periodicals, the world of comics spread further and further into public appeal. With the publication of Art Spiegelman’s Maus, however, comics opened the door onto a world of possibilities. After Maus received high acclaim, despite its academic taboo as a medium, many more historical-commentary graphic novels found their way into the public eye: Marjane Satrapi’s Persepolis, Alison Bechdel’s Fun Home, Keiji Nakazawa’s Barefoot Gen, and a legion of others.... [tags: Maus, Persepolis, Fun Home]
1065 words (3 pages)
- In Alison Bechdel’s Fun Home, Bechdel uses the theme of appearance versus reality to highlight her relationship with her father. Bechdel utilizes her illustrations and short sentences to reveal these things about herself and her father. Bechdel opens her memoir with a chapter entitled “Old Father, Old Artificer”. Bechdel refers to her father, Bruce Bechdel, as an artificer because she sees him as a skilled craftsman. Bechdel describes, “His greatest achievement, arguably, was his monomaniacal restoration of our old house.” (Bechdel 4).... [tags: Family, Mother, The Way Home, Fun Home]
1346 words (3.8 pages)
- The painting The Boating Party by Mary Cassatt depicts a man rowing a woman and her child along the ocean. The man rowing the boat is sitting facing a beautiful green landscape; however we can only see his back and half of his face. The woman who is seated on the opposite side appears to be enjoying the ride as she is holding her child. This painting dates back to 1893 though 1894; its dimensions are 35 inches by 46 inches. In contrast the painting Happy Accidents of the swing is by Jean-Honore Fragonard, and this painting portrays a young woman seated on a swing that is located in an overgrown garden while being pushed by a man that seems to be hiding in the shadows.... [tags: Color theory, Color, History of painting, Female]
1600 words (4.6 pages)
- Adam Barner is the owner of Basic Boating, an independent dealer in used boats located in a small town near a major lake. Adam purchased used boats at auctions, through agreements with several dealerships that do not wish to sell the trade-ins they receive, and as trade-ins or direct purchases from private individuals. As the name of Adam’s business implies, he specializes in older lower-priced boats. For the most part, Basic Boating’s sales are to first-time boat owners. However, he sells a variety of styles of boats.... [tags: employees, employer]
585 words (1.7 pages)
- “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” – Linus Torvalds, creator of Linux. As a child, I always bombarded my parents with the ever-persistent question of “why?” Naturally, after my parents bought our first computer, I began to wonder how computers worked. I saw the computer as a magic box that drew upon the unknown forces of another dimension to display funny cat videos on a mini TV. Neither of my parents studied computers and nobody in my household knew how to use Google, so I was left wondering.... [tags: computer, hacker, website]
557 words (1.6 pages)
- The function of the starting system is to crank the engine to start it. The system is composed of the starter motor, starter relay (also called a solenoid), battery, switch and connecting wires. Turning the ignition key to the start position sends a signal to the starter relay through the starter control circuit. The starter relay then connects the battery to the starter. The battery supplies the electrical energy to the starter motor, which does the actual work of cranking the engine. This is pretty standard in most all-domestic and foreign autos.... [tags: essays research papers]
804 words (2.3 pages)
- Fun Pack When run, Fun Pack 3-D will automatically detect what 3D hardware you have available and configure itself for optimum performance on your machine. Note that you MUST have the latest version of the drivers for your 3D card, or Fun Pack 3-D may fail to work properly. 3DFX drivers can be downloaded from http://www.3dfx.com/. Other Drivers can be downloaded from your 3-D card manufacturer. Note that versions of Windows 95 before OSR 2.1 do not properly support AGP, so you may not achieve optimum performance on an AGP Direct 3D card if you have an earlier version of Windows 95.... [tags: essays research papers]
379 words (1.1 pages)
Lastly, the letter writer claims he has seen only two manatees in four years. This comes as no big surprise. He is probably oblivious to the manatees' presence as he zooms past them (if not over them) in his speeding boat, noisily and selfishly spewing emissions into the air and water.