Essay PreviewMore ↓
This past year (2000) I have been working in the sound booth for The John Lyman Center for the Performing Arts. Here at the John Lyman Center (JLC) we have been going through a time of transition. The former resident technical guru who had taken care of JLC's happenings had retired, leaving the JLC in a semi chaotic state. The dance school season was just about to start which happens to be our busiest time of the year. The administrative staff here at the JLC was franticly trying to find a replacement while interim Chris Hudacs fought his was through the perilous dance school season.
Finally, when all the hullabaloo was over David Starkey, formally serving as Technical Director of the Theatre Department at Southern Ct. State Univ. was named the new title of Events Manager. When David was still working in the theatre department I had approached him when it was pointed out that there was no one person on staff who knew how to fully operate the sound system. The idea I had come up with was to design an independent study which would allow me to be in the sound booth and empirically discover how to operate the sound system and all of its support components. He agreed that it was a good idea because Greg had never explained anything but remedial board operation. Since I first started working at the JLC I had wanted to work on the sound system, now I was being given the chance.
The independent study was written up as follows:
Independent Study in Sound Design and Sound System Component operation
-To demonstrate competence in properly operating the sound system and all its individual components in Lyman Auditorium. Which includes but is not limited to the following:
¨ Sound board
¨ Tape player
¨ DAT player
¨ Mini disk player
¨ Compact disk recorder
¨ Compact disk player
¨ Digital effects processors
¨ Patch bay
¨ Wireless microphones
¨ Digital synthesizer
-By the 8th week be prepared to work with the head sound designer in developing a sound design for the crescent players fall production of "three penny opera". The sound design should incorporate as many of the listed devices as possible to ensure that a high quality production is obtained.
The learning process I have been going through has included help from many people. I would sit and pick the brain of every sound engineer that came through here. Finding out what you did with an Omni DriveÒ or how to use the feedback detector and the graphic equalizer to get rid of feedback.
How to Cite this Page
"Addendum to Independent Study in Sound Design and Sound System Component Operation." 123HelpMe.com. 07 Apr 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The general research area is the sensory and vibrissal system in rodents. This study focuses on understanding the functional characterization of the sensory system through the notion of specificity. By definition, specificity is a measure of the ability of the sensory system to distinguish or discriminate between distinct stimuli (Lucianna, F. A., Farfán, F. D., Pizá, G. A., Albarracín, A. L., & Felice, C. J. 2016). In this case the stimuli are textural. This measure of specificity permits the evaluation of the capability of the sensory system to decode information along with sensitivity.... [tags: Nervous system, Central nervous system]
1155 words (3.3 pages)
- .2.2 System Theory According to Heighten and Joslyn, (1992), system theory is a trans disciplinary study of the abstract organization of phenomena independent of their substance and their scale of exist-ence. The theory was originally proposed by biologist Ludwig on Bertalaffy in 1928 and has been adapted in various systems or organizations. Von Bertalaffy (1956) defines a system as elements that interact with the external environment of the organization. Von Bertalanffy fos-ters system thinking in all disciplines in order to find general principles valid to all systems.... [tags: Systems theory, System, Cybernetics, Open system]
995 words (2.8 pages)
- A STUDY OF RELATIONSHIP OF FRANCHISOR AND FRANCHISEE ABSTRACT In the relationship of franchisor and franchisee, the franchisor relies heavily on the financial information and information of the consumers of the franchisees to access local markets, and the franchisees are dependent on the trademarks and know-how and other support of the franchisors. Franchises always have a desire for autonomy to run their business, but franchisor don’t want to give the franchisee more autonomy because he thinks that if he give more autonomy to the franchisee then franchisee can compromise on the quality to save the cost and this can damage the reputation of the entire franchise system of franchisor but on t... [tags: Franchising, Franchise, Howard Johnson's]
961 words (2.7 pages)
- Experiences Experiences with Android Development Android is an open source mobile operating system based on Linux kernel version 2.6. The Open Handset Alliance, which includes a large group of companies (e.g. mobile operators, handset manufactures, semiconductor companies, software companies, and commercialization companies) responsible for the development and release of Android OS. Android has a variety of open-source libraries and tools to support our development work, such as Android Development Tools plug-in for Eclipse IDE, device emulator, JDWP debugger.... [tags: Android Programming]
2317 words (6.6 pages)
- Case Study on Communications Systems I intend to carry out my case study using my own knowledge and also gaining research from the internet and books from the library. I have provided some research on communications systems and network systems before I began my tasks. I obtained information about these from the internet and books from the Beauchamp library. Communication system: an assembly of equipment that allows data to be transferred between two or more places. Network systems: Below is a chart to show the speeds of technology and how good the connection speeds are for communication.... [tags: Papers]
5450 words (15.6 pages)
- Communication System Operators are communication professionals within the Royal Corps of Signals; engineering and operating both digital and satellite communication systems, including maintenance of communication networks (British Army, 2014). After phase one training Communication Systems Operators conduct initial trade training, within the Royal School of Signals which consists of both theory and practical training, to which formative and summative performance standards are assessed over 32 weeks of training (DSCIS, 2011).... [tags: Communication, Royal Corps of Signals]
1554 words (4.4 pages)
- Implementing A CAD System TO Reduce Costs Introduction This report will analyze a proposal on how Woodbridge Foam could become more competitive through improvements in technology. This includes the saving of the companies money, shortening the design time for new products, decreasing quoting time and improving quality overall. By implementing a company wide CAD system, which would be networked together with each customer and all plants, these improvements could be achieved. Research will include interviewing various employees as to how business is done and what influences the winning or loosing of a contract.... [tags: essays research papers]
1534 words (4.4 pages)
CONDITION SURVEY OF MOSQUE IN NIGERIA: A CASE STUDY OF FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, MINNA, NIGERIA
- 1.0 Introduction The whole world is a place of worship. The essence of life is to worship the Almighty, the creator of all creations. Allah says that He had created both Men and Jinns only that they may worship and serve Him (Quran 51, verse 56). In another related verse; Allah says “O ye who believe. When the call is proclaimed to prayer on Friday (The Day of Assembly), hastens earnestly to the remembrance of God, and leave off business (and traffic): that is best for you if ye but knew. And when the prayer is finished, then may ye disperse through the land, and seek of the Bounty of God: and celebrate the praises of God often (and without stint :): that ye may prosper (Quran 62, verse 9,... [tags: Allah, Muslim, Islam, religious identity]
2618 words (7.5 pages)
- Independent Study on Monopolies in Canada The idea of a single entity dominating a product or service in an industry is a controversial topic for Canadians. A monopoly is, “a single company or group who owns all or nearly all of the market for a given type of product or service. By definition, a monopoly is characterized by an absence of competition, which often results in high prices and inferior products” ("Monopoly Definition” Investopedia). The word “monopoly” derives from the Latin term, “mono” meaning single and “poly,” for seller (Benjamin, “Different Types of Monopoly Practices”).... [tags: Monopoly, Economics, Perfect competition]
1164 words (3.3 pages)
- Incomplete OBJECTIVE : To evaluate present organizational structure and management control system of Birch Paper Company particularly on the decentralized operations of its divisions with respect to its overall performance. PROBLEM : What effective management control system or systems should the Company adopt to attain maximum profitability not only of its divisionsâ€™ respective operations but that of the Company as a whole. AREAS OF CONSIDERATION 1. Company Background Birch Paper Company is a medium-sized, vertically integrated paper company, producing white and kraft papers and paperboard.... [tags: Business, Case Study, solution]
1657 words (4.7 pages)
The sound booth is now in order after a problem we had with one of the Omni DrivesÒ shutting off randomly during shows. It appears that the programming in the software was the cause, which was remedied by formatting the drive and reloading the program. At this time the Crescent, players are loading in and are nearing the time when the sound crew would need to come in and set up for the show.
That day arrived quite quickly and the sound crew, which was wholly made up of one Allison DiBlasio, went to work. I showed her exactly which microphones to use when micing the orchestra, how to run cable and the snake, and the correct way to patch them. I had her write all of this information down because then she would have it as a reference. Included in the instructional course was an overview of the soundboard which knobs she should be concerned with, what they did and which ones she should not touch. Everything seemed to be going well in the sound department, until there was a discrepancy in how the sound designer thought I should helping, and how I was supposed to be helping. Apparently, there was a misunderstanding between us. After the initial setup of the show, I left with the understanding that if any additional questions needed to answered she could call and I would try to help her through them. Knowing that the sound crew was short staffed I would go and help out with additional things such as dressing of cables and daily setup which included putting the microphones back out on their stands. It go to the point where I was there every night for numerous hours, which is something, I was trying to avoid. I realize that I was going to have to put in some time to this project but there was a reason why I did not take on a larger role in helping with the play. I had worked on the two previous main auditorium shows and they were both detrimental to my scholastic efforts. However, that problem was resolved and the show went on. I also attended two performances so that the show would run a bit smoother when the adjudicator was there.
In conclusion, I would be wary next time to get involved in a project like this unless all the small details were worked out before hand. I would have clearly written, so there were no gray areas, what my expectations were and what was expected of me. Overall, this project helped me to learn more about theatrical and performance sound and the equipment that supports it. I am now more confident when mixing a show because I know that I have a better feel for how things should be working. However, the most useful thing is that I know there is always more to learn about sound engineering, and I have the resources to aid in that development.